htc EVO 3D display / digitizer failure.

Search This thread

wyrethewolf

Aug 6, 2008
Springdale
Well, I have had the 3D since launch. After the first couple of days I started seeing phantom touches. After 1 week I started to notice this was getting far worse and that the display/digitizer was registering touches when nothing was near the device.

Called Sprint walked through a full wipe of the OS and reinstall. That was a no go and wasted nearly 2 hours of my time on the phone... However the Level 2 tech agreed that it appeared to be a failure of the device and advised that I return it to the Sprint store.

Got to sprint and showed them the video I had made of what the phone was doing. They also agreed that something was wrong with the phone and replaced it immediately.

Just in case I am not the only one that is having this problem I am uploading the video to youtube... I will share that link with you as soon as it is done uploading.

This is a video showing the issue using the "draw" application:

If you run into similar issues let me know!

aramova

Jun 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've seen some strange things happen but I figured it was the Otterbox Defender case or humidity here in Florida.

Will watch more closely now. Thanks for the report!

del4

Jan 25, 2007
Arizona
I've also been having strange issues, where touches are appearing out of nowhere. Had to turn off the pattern lock as a result, since I nearly got locked out of my device since it wouldn't register my pattern properly. It seems to 'reset' itself after a couple reboots, but starts acting up again at a later random time. Between the poor GPS performance and this issue, I'm starting to wonder if I upgraded from my Evo 4G a bit too early...

clutch_08

Jun 20, 2010
Same thing happens to mine while texting I would click a letter but it would click another one. It just did it once tho

SpyFi

Jun 6, 2011
I have heard of several people with the issue. Kinda makes me nervous. Already swapped 1 due to bad camera.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

dcfella

Sep 15, 2010
My touchscreen is having issues lately too. It'll work fine for several hours, then the screen will either be unresponsive or register phantom movements. Sometimes it won't register the lockpattern as I move my fingers, and other times it refuses to swipe left or right between screens. I've been trying to figure out if it's some kind of software or hardware issue, but no luck. I'd hate to return it(since it's my 2nd 3D) but if it continues for the rest of the week, it's going back. I made a video clip of it jumping screens randomly just in case the Sprint store ask any questions.

*update
I installed the paint program like OP did and had similar things happen on mine with the random lines and unresponsive screens. I guess I'll return tonight for 3D #3....

Last edited:

oreoOozZz

Nov 13, 2008
Mine just started doin the same thing lately, any of you have results yet? Did you turn in your phone or did they repair it? I really dont wanna go to the sprint store and turn mine in because i dont want a refurbished unit. 9/10 in the past when ive went through insurance, the phone they send me is broken as well and then it goes round and round. Sometimes my phone will just stop responding to touch, it will have phantom touches and/or on the htc_ime mod keyboard on compact qwerty; the ui, jk, m, . column up and down wont work at all. strange to say the least, never had this happen to any of my phones before.

Reactions: harpss1ngh

theboz1419

Mar 6, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Well mine developed this problem a few days ago.

The top inch or so of the screen and when I get this problem the touch sensitive buttons also dont work sometimes.

My problem and my question is that, I dont have insurance on the phone, I bought it on Amazon from a private party after my EVO 4G was stollen.

If I take it to Sprint can they just replace the digitizer, since this is a defect of the phone and would that even fix this problem?

faiyo

Jul 11, 2011
If you don't have insurance on the phone then you need to go on ebay and search for evo 3d lcd digitizer housing. Yesterday, I paid $50 shipped from usa.
If you cant find a good listing then u can buy the lcd + digitizer (or just the digitizer) without housing. But it's hard work to do these two because those things are glued and painful to disassemble. It will definitely look jacked up after all your hard work. Just get it with the housing (front black plastic)
Here is a usa seller with what i'm talking about but he as no feedback so i didnt buy from him.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-EVO-3D-...ultDomain_0&hash=item1c20adc044#ht_2172wt_286
There is a hi res disassembly video on youtube.

SirThumpaLot

May 29, 2010
Vegas
I've been experiencing this issue lately as well. I've had this phone since the month it was released and it only started acting up as of a couple weeks ago. It started off as the touch screen not registering any touches, not even the capacitive buttons. Then this week it started it started doing the crazy phantom touch thing. In order to get it working, I simply shut off the screen then turn it back on again. It seems to happen less if I'm lighter on the screen. Thank gawd I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

theboz1419

Mar 6, 2011
Puyallup, WA
I called a sprint store and they told me that they would either replace the digitizer or the phone for a fee of 35 dollars, since I did not have insurance.

So, I took my phone in and they had another screen that was from another phone that had a different problem.

After they replaced it, he did not charge me :cool:

I was happy until I started to drive home and I was checking it some more and realized that the new screen also had the same digitizer problem. :(

I guess im headed back to Sprint tomorrow:mad: hopefully they give me another phone. and I will happily pay the 35 dollars.

faiyo

Jul 11, 2011
Wow thats a real good deal. I never considered taking it for repair. I thought it must be cheaper to do it myself. I hope they can get you a working one. I'm sure they won't try to charge you for it when you go back.

Andrew486

Oct 27, 2010
I'm having trouble with my Evo as well, not sure if its the same issue or not.. for about the past week my notification bar will be intermittently unusable, I can't pull it down at all.. then sometimes it'll work. Unfortunately the times I've been near a sprint store it's working fine.. UGH. Also it's been giving me some random letters occasionally when texting, or the most aggravating is when it "clicks" the backspace button and that sticks and it erases whatever text I just wrote. Sounds like a similar issue.. I just wish mine was consistent, sometimes it works perfect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I have had the 3D since launch. After the first couple of days I started seeing phantom touches. After 1 week I started to notice this was getting far worse and that the display/digitizer was registering touches when nothing was near the device.

Called Sprint walked through a full wipe of the OS and reinstall. That was a no go and wasted nearly 2 hours of my time on the phone... However the Level 2 tech agreed that it appeared to be a failure of the device and advised that I return it to the Sprint store.

Got to sprint and showed them the video I had made of what the phone was doing. They also agreed that something was wrong with the phone and replaced it immediately.

Just in case I am not the only one that is having this problem I am uploading the video to youtube... I will share that link with you as soon as it is done uploading.

This is a video showing the issue using the "draw" application:

If you run into similar issues let me know!
    never discount the existence of a true phantom pressing those screens ;p
    Mine just started doin the same thing lately, any of you have results yet? Did you turn in your phone or did they repair it? I really dont wanna go to the sprint store and turn mine in because i dont want a refurbished unit. 9/10 in the past when ive went through insurance, the phone they send me is broken as well and then it goes round and round. Sometimes my phone will just stop responding to touch, it will have phantom touches and/or on the htc_ime mod keyboard on compact qwerty; the ui, jk, m, . column up and down wont work at all. strange to say the least, never had this happen to any of my phones before.
    I'm having phantom touches and also screen has been freezing and I have to turn off screen and wait a few seconds to get it to work again, anyone had that problem as well.
    And it makes typing a *****
    My EVO 3D got back from the service a few days ago. As far as I can see they changed not only the digitizer but also the display and the front cover (the original had some scratches, so good for me). Of course the phantom touches issue has been solved. Hope it won't come back.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

Hi guys and gals,
    I'm here to revive this old thread since I see that a lot of people still have the ghost-touch problem.

To answer Vanilla Bear (admittedly a bit late), they change the whole front together because there is adhesive making it a bit difficult to separate the three parts (LCD, digitizer and front cover). If you want, you can search for "Evo3D screen assembly" on ebay to find all three parts pre-assembled.

If you want the cheaper way like I just did then, with a lot of patience and a blow dryer, you can separate and change only the digitizer.

My ghost touches had gone so bad that I even got them in recovery mode! So, this confirms once more that this problem is hardware related and has nothing to do with specific ROMs. Yes, reducing the temperature of the LCD by simply lowering the CPU frequency helped for a while, but then the problem got worse over time, so I got ghost touches even at 600MHz. One thing is for sure. If this problem starts, you'll have to replace your digitizer eventually.

These are the first hours after I successfully replaced the digitizer, together with a new white-aluminum housing and I must say the result is excellent. No ghost touches at all, even after overclocking, plus I probably have the only white Evo 3D in Athens! The whole procedure took me two hours and I had never opened a phone apart before.

Now it remains to be seen if the new digitizer will also malfunction sometime in the future. If so, I will post it here.

Good luck to all of you.

Sent from the 3rd dimension!