Nexus 10 vs Nexus 7(or any other tablet/phone) comparison/discussion

Search This thread

bigclause

May 11, 2009
waterford
I have both the nexus 10 and the infinity right in front of me, both are running cleanROM and have been factory reset. The nexus blows the infinity out of the water for performance. infinity has lots of lag and was so frustrating to use even with basic browsing. I never have lag with the nexus.

the only thing I was very surprised at and that the infinity does much better is the IPS screen. obviously the resolution of the nexus is better but the brightness and colour reproduction on the infinity is way better. the blacks are much deeper and the contrast is much better.

Also the nexus takes forever to charge. roughly twice as long as the infinity but I can for give all of this because this thing flies and that is why i'm selling my infinity.

Reactions: samwheat

lynxboy

Oct 7, 2009
Leeds
omfg

photoshop ? i know i pad has great batt but this its too much ... display with light at minimum ?

besides that the interface looks like a childs book .. its amazing 21 hours ... please , post it on all samsungs tablet screens in a shop ! maybe they will wake up finally ..

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

It's not shopped. This was my best ever result hence the screenshot. That cycle included a lot of reading on low brightness, but I generally average about 16 hours screen time. I don't game or do anything particularly intensive however. That said, my Xoom would top out at about 8.5 hours with the same usage. Anyway, I know I won't get the same usage with a N10 and I'm happy to charge nightly. I'm more interested in the overall experience of the device after coming from a jailbroken iPad.

Regards.

Reactions: samwheat

magnus the bullmastiff

Jul 3, 2012
timisoara
Guys i need your help. Which is better for gaming between note 10.1, nexus 10 and sony xperia tablet s. This is the nexus 10 forum, so you all gonna say nexus 10. Please help me and tell me the reasons for picking one of them. Thanks a lot!!

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Guys i need your help. Which is better for gaming between note 10.1, nexus 10 and sony xperia tablet s. This is the nexus 10 forum, so you all gonna say nexus 10. Please help me and tell me the reasons for picking one of them. Thanks a lot!!

If everyone's going to say Nexus 10 why psx it here? Ask in general? But anyways I can't say anything about the other 2 tablets because I never tried them but the nexus 10 has an amazing screen and everything looks good on it. Some people say the color depth isn't as good ad other tablets bit this is my first tablet so I wouldn't know. Games like gta vc work well with the six axis controller app and overall is pretty smooth. Though out of the 2 gb of ram I usually only have 700 free but the 1.7 GHz processor helps alot. The nexus 10 is a beast but id ask about the other tablets on their forums or general and see what they say about them

Sent from my Xperia Play (r800x)

atermify

Mar 31, 2012
Louisiana
I'm really torn between selling my TF300 and buying an N10, and keeping it and just getting my N7 back from my mom. My only concern is the SD card and the keyboard (I don't have the keyboard, but its nice to have the option). I don't really do more beyond web browsing, reading, and light gaming every once in a while, plus some movies on Netflix.
I've had an Acer a200, a gtab1 10, and an n7, and by far have loved the tf300, but am just craving having that trifecta of nexus devices :<

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
Sell your TF300. Do it!

Came from TF101 > TF300 > Nexus 7 > Nexus 10.

Like you I loved my TF300. But it was slow & stuttery for me especially when multitasking. Asus used cheap memory that's why it has poor I/O speeds. It felt just a tad bit faster than the TF101.

Then went for the Nexus 7. I thought this tablet was fast! But it chokes when downloading stuff and browsing at the same time. I figured Asus may have used some cheap memory again on this tablet :(

Then came my Nexus 10. You can multi task properly with minimal lag. (Yes there is still lag when multitasking but it will not make you want to pull your hair out). Choking was gone and my tablet responds smoothly. Very happy with the N10's performance!

CWalkop

May 29, 2012
Sell your TF300. Do it!

Like you I loved my TF300. But it was slow & stuttery for me especially when multitasking. Asus used cheap memory that's why it has poor I/O speeds. It felt just a tad bit faster than the TF101...

Then came my Nexus 10. You can multi task properly with minimal lag. (Yes there is still lag when multitasking but it will not make you want to pull your hair out). Choking was gone and my tablet responds smoothly. Very happy with the N10's performance!

Exact same here, save for the Nexus 7! I'd never go back to the Transformer - the performance difference is just so massive there's no comparison. Everything is SO much faster. Until they fix that I/O, they're stuck with a low-end product.

And I just got my N10 today, just FYI.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Bait-Fish

JaneUK

May 23, 2013
I have just sent my Asus Infinity back (under warranty) as the dock stopped working properly - I also was unhappy with performance, freezing and fragility (although battery was great when dock worked!).

Very happy with my new Nexus 10 - I prefer the rubber backing (easier to hold, less easy to drop!) and the performance overall. I found I rarely used the Infinity dock as it was heavy to lug around, but have bought a bluetooth keyboard/cover for my Nexus as and when I need it.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6

kosmab

Dec 28, 2012
Los Angeles
officials ustosl

I recently completed the nexus collection when I bought my girlfriend a nexus 7. She LOVES it.

Nexus 7 to me is
-portable, fits in a big pocket
-you can get it with a Simcard slot
- great battery

But I bought my nexus 10 because I wanted a larger screen and a rear facing camera. I honestly think of the nexus 7 as a big phone, and if it were a big phone it would be a better product cause you'd have the extra camera. My nexus 10 though crashed constantly when I first got it. Chrome and Dolphin browser specifically. They still do sometimes. There's no where near the amount OEM support for the 10. The battery can drain quickly. Though that's true of every device I've owned.

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
I recently completed the nexus collection when I bought my girlfriend a nexus 7. She LOVES it.

Nexus 7 to me is
-portable, fits in a big pocket
-you can get it with a Simcard slot
- great battery

But I bought my nexus 10 because I wanted a larger screen and a rear facing camera. I honestly think of the nexus 7 as a big phone, and if it were a big phone it would be a better product cause you'd have the extra camera. My nexus 10 though crashed constantly when I first got it. Chrome and Dolphin browser specifically. They still do sometimes. There's no where near the amount OEM support for the 10. The battery can drain quickly. Though that's true of every device I've owned.

I have a nexus 10 and 7 the 10 lasts so much longer on battery power then my 7 does. Well the wife has the 7 now that I got the 10 a couple months ago. I really do miss using the 7 for its size of portability. But this 10 just over powers it completely. Ohh and revolt is great on both devices

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
It's not shopped. This was my best ever result hence the screenshot. That cycle included a lot of reading on low brightness, but I generally average about 16 hours screen time. I don't game or do anything particularly intensive however. That said, my Xoom would top out at about 8.5 hours with the same usage. Anyway, I know I won't get the same usage with a N10 and I'm happy to charge nightly. I'm more interested in the overall experience of the device after coming from a jailbroken iPad.

Regards.

Seeing as nobody actually answered your question in any kind of literate manner, I'll help you out. So really the ipad vs nexus debate comes down to what you use your tablet for.

Personally, the like of access to the filesystem, ability to download stuff (via samba, SSH, http... whatever), play anything other than mp4/mp3 and being forced to use itunes is what drove me to android from my ipad 3. I get similar battery life on my nexus to what I used to get on my ipad, maybe 10-20% worse but it's fine in general - who actually has more than 6.5 consecutive hours/day (which is roughly what I get with screen brightness @ 75%) to play with their tablet anyway? I wish I did! Also, you can use usb OTG on the N10 which is brill. Google's cloud services beat the **** out of icloud too.

Downsides over the ipad are that the Android "ecosystem" (eugh) is still less mature, particularly where tablets are concerned. It is slowly catching up but ultimately any company will firstly focus on their IOS experience before they even make an Android app, let alone having feature parity between the platforms. This will change as Android tablets become dominant in the marketplace, the same was it already did for phones. Saying that though, a fairly significant chunk of the apps I use on my Android devices aren't even allowed on i-devices: tubemate, flash, andftp and terminal emulator for instance. Also it's not as quite as polished in general as the iOS UI, though it's not too far away in my experience when using the latest stock 4.2.2 release, rooted with AOSP browser installed.

Speakers are a hand-down win for the Nexus. Screen on both are excellent. Screen is a tricky one though... personally I saw my N10's screen for the first time (coming from an ipad) and thought "wow" because of the resolution, but others are disappointed with colours and contrast. I think it's fine personally. Also, I really like the plastic back for a simple reason: I don't need any kind of case! I wish they made a phone with the same materials, my N4 is stupidly fragile by comparison.

Browsing is a funny one. In some ways the ipad is better: Slightly quicker, slightly better compatibility with **** webpages. In other ways its considerably worse: No adobe flash (which, as a frequent pron-watcher, is unforgivable) and no bookmark sync as Safari is a POS on anything other than Apple hardware. Yes, you can use Chrome on iOS to get the bookmark sync but then you loose the speed advantage.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Originally Posted by lynxboy View Post

Regards.

you average 16hours of screen on time? really now?
how do you come up with that? because the pic you posted shows usage of 21 hours,but wheres the section for screen only

*** usage ≠ screen on time ***

vasili0s

Dec 24, 2012
Athens
I have a nexus 10 and 7 the 10 lasts so much longer on battery power then my 7 does. Well the wife has the 7 now that I got the 10 a couple months ago. I really do miss using the 7 for its size of portability. But this 10 just over powers it completely. Ohh and revolt is great on both devices

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

having recently sold the nexus 7. I concur with the above. Not that the 10 trumps it in batt life, but for me the difference is most definitely noticeable.

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Posted this on Xoom forum, I think it's a good idea to post here too :D. Xoom VS Nexus comparison :

I know that Nexus and Xoom has more than 1 year difference, but I want to make a quick comparison between them. So...

First of all: why did I get a Nexus if I already had a Xoom? The answer is simple: my mom accidentally broke my Xoom screen, so now it's plugged on my TV only :p, so she bought me the Nexus to replace it.
Would I get the Nexus if that didn't happen? No. I really liked Xoom, and didn't think it was needed to replace, until that happened. Xoom is still a great device, I can't ever deny it! But we can see with the time passing that it's age is already showing, I don't think it's time to change now, probably those who want to change now won't make a good deal, next year it will already appear to be more outdated, so it's better then to change. The Nexus 10 is an excellent device, covers up Xoom in every single aspect, but one, which may still be a deal breaker for some, the lack of sdcard, which is already a common knowledge.

So, what can I say about comparing the two, as it's a "Xoom tablet VS Other tablet discussion"?
The screen of Nexus is much better, okay, it's newer than Xoom, but as Xoom was a prototype Android tablet (at least that's how I see GED devices), we see that it's screen isn't all that amazing. For some time ago it was the best you can find, but now it's becoming something not too polished.
Speed is a point that makes me interest in this comparison, my Nexus boots in 15-20 sec, and doesn't lag (even running Linux in background), also it can run amazing graphic games and full HD videos without any gag. IMO Xoom is still a blazing fast device! Even it taking 3-4x more to boot, can't okay full HD videos, etc. You can clearly see that it still has much power, Tegra 2 is outdated, but it can still run sine high end tegra-only games that show that Xoom still has some power behind it. I used to use Linux on Android on it as well, I wasn't able to have a full nice experience due to some lag, but it was completely usable.
The form of Nexus is amazing, the rubber back and the front speakers are very useful, while Xoom had a more premium feel for being aluminium made, the problem is that aluminium was easier to slip off your hand, I had no problems as I had a case, but it was not too easy, differently from Nexus which it gets almost glued to your hand lol. I also have a case for my Nexus and it is comfortable and great to carry, but in comparison to Xoom's portfolio what would I say? The Nexus case I got (poetic case) is great to carry, very comfortable and includes a magnetic Bluetooth keyboard, which is very useful for me (who writes stories), BUT it has only one point of view, while the Xoom portfolio case is great for that, it's lighter, slimmer and has 3 view points, the thing is, Xoom got a more media vised case, while the one I got for Nexus looks like a more professional case.
One thing that annoyed me on Nexus was charging the battery, Google/Samsung disappointed me when I discovered that it was charged via USB, it takes ages to charge and if I use while charging it doesn't charge and even maybe discharge lol, while as you may know, Xoom charges very fast and it keeps constant, also I can plug my external HD or play games with my PS3 controller, while charging, and Nexus can't do that, or you charge or you copy files.
The development section of Nexus is pretty good as well Xoom is, as both are development devices I can't say much, because the two has amazing developers working and a good sized community, it's true that Xoom is decreasing as people are now changing their tablets, but probably it will stagnate at a good size.
The Nexus has a 9000mAh battery, which is great, and even with the stunning 2560x1600 screen lasts good 10 hours :), Xoom has also a great battery stamina, I don't recall now the capacity, but it was great and lasted 8-10 hours as well :).

Conclusions:
The Nexus 10 is overall a device much better than Xoom, you get a better screen, better processor, etc. But it has some fails when compared to it's antecessor, like the lack of sdcard (and as I mentioned earlier it can be a deal breaker for some) and the charging. Also it costs much more than Xoom nowadays, so depending of the person it may influence the idea, as Xoom still covers much of the tablet needs. If you asked to me: is it worth to change Xoom now? I'd say: "Wait for the next Nexus, then we see, Xoom is still a great solid device, and still has potential, unless you broke it, hold with the device and change for the next Nexus of even the new Nexus for next year."

Wow... Huge post... He he, but that's it, a quick overview about a comparison of my two tablets, the old and the new. Xoom and Nexus 10 :). Hope you enjoyed :D.

"This Story Ends Where It Began" - Octavarium (Dream Theater)
Sent from my GT-I9505

dajogejr

Apr 20, 2011
I have both.
I prefer the 10 for what I do (50/50 work and personal).
It's all about the screen size and speed.

My 10 blows circles around the 7. I keep the 7 next to my bed...that's about it.
I take my 10 everywhere.
I do a lot of remote desktop interaction (Tech support for my company), email...etc.
Trying to view a PC on a 7 inch screen is just difficult.

If I just wanted to play a few games or read books, 7 would be a better fit.

SeaFractor

Jun 16, 2011
SeaTac
Just bought a Nexus 10. Looked at the Sony, but the difference in price just didn't sway me.

As for water proof? Meh!

I read ebooks in the tub every now and then and I'll do the same thing I did with my Nexus 7. Simply place it inside of a Ziplock freezer bag.

Keeps out the water well enough and screen interactivity is not significantly affected.

So water issues resolved for just a few dollars? $profit$

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I own both so here is my 2 cents...

The N10, for me, is better all around tablet. The screen is far better, it's thinner, faster and smoother than the N7, and the front facing speakers are great. The N10 also has a micro HDMI port for connecting to projector for work presentations. Battery life is great.

The N7 is of course more portable and can be palmed in one hand. the battery life is also good, but not as good as the N10.

Anyway, I basically gave my N7 to my 5 year old daughter.

Regards.

Seeing as nobody actually answered your question in any kind of literate manner, I'll help you out. So really the ipad vs nexus debate comes down to what you use your tablet for.

Personally, the like of access to the filesystem, ability to download stuff (via samba, SSH, http... whatever), play anything other than mp4/mp3 and being forced to use itunes is what drove me to android from my ipad 3. I get similar battery life on my nexus to what I used to get on my ipad, maybe 10-20% worse but it's fine in general - who actually has more than 6.5 consecutive hours/day (which is roughly what I get with screen brightness @ 75%) to play with their tablet anyway? I wish I did! Also, you can use usb OTG on the N10 which is brill. Google's cloud services beat the **** out of icloud too.

Downsides over the ipad are that the Android "ecosystem" (eugh) is still less mature, particularly where tablets are concerned. It is slowly catching up but ultimately any company will firstly focus on their IOS experience before they even make an Android app, let alone having feature parity between the platforms. This will change as Android tablets become dominant in the marketplace, the same was it already did for phones. Saying that though, a fairly significant chunk of the apps I use on my Android devices aren't even allowed on i-devices: tubemate, flash, andftp and terminal emulator for instance. Also it's not as quite as polished in general as the iOS UI, though it's not too far away in my experience when using the latest stock 4.2.2 release, rooted with AOSP browser installed.

Speakers are a hand-down win for the Nexus. Screen on both are excellent. Screen is a tricky one though... personally I saw my N10's screen for the first time (coming from an ipad) and thought "wow" because of the resolution, but others are disappointed with colours and contrast. I think it's fine personally. Also, I really like the plastic back for a simple reason: I don't need any kind of case! I wish they made a phone with the same materials, my N4 is stupidly fragile by comparison.

Browsing is a funny one. In some ways the ipad is better: Slightly quicker, slightly better compatibility with **** webpages. In other ways its considerably worse: No adobe flash (which, as a frequent pron-watcher, is unforgivable) and no bookmark sync as Safari is a POS on anything other than Apple hardware. Yes, you can use Chrome on iOS to get the bookmark sync but then you loose the speed advantage.
    Anyone thinking of changing their Nexus 10 for the new 7?

My main reason is that it's easier to use and smaller. The 10 in portrait is uncomfortable to use and in landscape surfing the web also.

It will have the same 2GB RAM, less battery, good screen, notification LED, good processor, etc.

I just sold my n10 and got the new n7 today. While the large screen and great resolution was nice, the new N7 has a better screen (IMO) and equal or better performance.

Plus, my n10 never felt 'zippy' or very responsive. I tried every variety of ROM, kernal, O/C, interface (tablet, phablet, phone). My preference is to use a laptop, small (under 8 inch or smaller) tablet, and a phone. Each is great, without trying to be in the adjacent category.
    I currently have a 1st-generation iPad, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10. I also owned the 1st-generation Nexus 7 prior to getting my Nexus 10.

Among all of these devices, I prefer using the Nexus 7 for almost everything. It's very comfortable to hold compared to the N10, and very easy to read on compared to the N4, i.e. it's the best of both worlds. When using the N7, I don't find myself wishing for a bigger screen. I love that the N7 fits in most of my pant pockets. Also, the N7 seems to get the best battery life of the three Nexus devices.

I require two tablets in my household - they are so great as media-consumption devices for our two children while taking car trips. I'm thinking I should sell my iPad and N10, and just buy another new Nexus 7.

Lastly, I should mention that I have never liked the iPad, due mainly to my various gripes about the iOS ecosystem.

- DDB
    Sell your TF300. Do it!

Like you I loved my TF300. But it was slow & stuttery for me especially when multitasking. Asus used cheap memory that's why it has poor I/O speeds. It felt just a tad bit faster than the TF101.

Then went for the Nexus 7. I thought this tablet was fast! But it chokes when downloading stuff and browsing at the same time. I figured Asus may have used some cheap memory again on this tablet :(