How To Keep Your Android Phone From Being Hacked By Malicious Apps

Search This thread

Segnale007

Feb 24, 2010
Mexico City
twitter.com
Thankfully I didn't have any of this apps installed on my android phone, but I am not feeling safe and I am not comfortable to run a sort of anti virus, anti malware.
I have been out of the windows scene for years now, trusting and using both linux and Mac (so its not quite normal for me to know the mobile OS I use is actually effected from viruses or malware), and I thought this Android would be as safe as any *nix based OS, but fact is that Google doesn't do enough to prevent those malicious apps to be published on the Market. The key feature of the App Store is having devs looking up for ur app code before to take it online, and this is mainly what keeps the platform well controlled and safe. And that's exactly what Google should do with the Market.

Should Google be a little more proactive about what is loaded to the official market. Probably. But if you are depending on others to secure your stuff instead of taking care of it for yourself, well . . .

They should keep the platform safe first of all, preventing those malicious apps to even get published on the market.

If u go hunting for cracked apps somewhere and u get viruses, well, at this point u should know the risk ur taking by doing it, but for those who pay for apps or even download free apps from the market, we shouldn't have to be worried about getting viruses from apps legally approved from Google on their platform.

Last edited:

hunggh

May 28, 2010
Kapersky mobile security for android - the best choice

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
good info, thanks.
Lucky me, no infections! I've been reflashing my phone every week or more with the latest/greatest ROM/kernel, and don't use market much, so wasn't real worried, but it's nice to have a free scanner.

DarkisFever

Feb 13, 2011
Yeah I'm enjoying lookout actually, seems like it does a good job so far :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using XDA App

KID_1194

Feb 18, 2011
www.ymn1.com
yes .. just uninstall them from .. settings --> applications --> manage applications

and u can use the antivirus to scan ur phone ..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Steve Kovach | Mar. 3, 2011, 10:11 AM

Yesterday we told you about the 21 malicious apps Google yanked from the Android Market.

Now at least 30 more have been discovered and removed. These apps are designed to gain root access to your phone and steal information such as your carrier ID. It also opens up your phone to even more malicious code.

Many of the apps have seemingly innocuous names like "Scientific Calculator" or raunchy ones like "Super Sex Positions." If you're ever in doubt about an app, err on the side of caution and don't download it.

One of our commenters pointed out a free Android app called Lookout that will scan anything you download to your phone for malware. We've used Lookout before, but haven't found a need for it until now.

Download it for free in the Android Market and allow it to run in the background. Lookout will notify you if it finds a virus or malware on your phone.

So far, it looks like three developers are responsible for the malicious apps. If you see an app from we20090202, Kingmall2010, or Myournet do not download it.

Here's the list of the malicious apps from Lookout's blog that have been identified so far:

* Falling Down
    * Super Guitar Solo
    * Super History Eraser
    * Photo Editor
    * Super Ringtone Maker
    * Super Sex Positions
    * Hot Sexy Videos
    * Chess
    * 下坠滚球_Falldown
    * Hilton Sex Sound
    * Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
    * Falling Ball Dodge
    * Scientific Calculator
    * Dice Roller
    * 躲避弹球
    * Advanced Currency Converter
    * App Uninstaller
    * 几何战机_PewPew
    * Funny Paint
    * Spider Man
    * 蜘蛛侠
    * Bowling Time
    * Advanced Barcode Scanner
    * Supre Bluetooth Transfer
    * Task Killer Pro
    * Music Box
    * Sexy Girls: Japanese
    * Sexy Legs
    * Advanced File Manager
    * Magic Strobe Light
    * 致命绝色美腿
    * 墨水坦克Panzer Panic
    * 裸奔先生Mr. Runner
    * 软件强力卸载
    * Advanced App to SD
    * Super Stopwatch & Timer
    * Advanced Compass Leveler
    * Best password safe
    * 掷骰子
    * 多彩绘画
    * Finger Race
    * Piano
    * Bubble Shoot
    * Advanced Sound Manager
    * Magic Hypnotic Spiral
    * Funny Face
    * Color Blindness Test
    * Tie a Tie
    * Quick Notes
    * Basketball Shot Now
    * Quick Delete Contacts
    * Omok Five in a Row
    * Super Sexy Ringtones
    * 大家来找茬
    * 桌上曲棍球
    * 投篮高手

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-...hone-from-malicious-apps-2011-3#ixzz1FYR1gYHU

oh man... I thought this might be helpful info for us here. be careful with leaked apps as well. You never know if they've been modified in some way. You could be opening up your phone to an exploit.
    stop downloading apps with boobs and sex in it. lol
    They moderate similar to a forum, innocent until proven guilty. They wont cut something til the issue is known

See, that to me is ridiculous on google's part.
    Applications need to be vetted, if that slows down the app population growth then so be it.
    I'm pretty sure that the MS Marketplace doesn't just let people upload apps to it as when an excellent train timetable app stopped working and needed an update, MS took ages to allow the update onto the marketplace (I would imagine they were somewhat tied up prepping for the release of WP7 which makes sense).

If an app that runs on our phones is able to detect such malware, then why can't google even impliment an auto scan on uploads to the market?

I've always been cautious of the market as I've suspected that apps aren't vetted, the official sources of apps HAVE to be safe no matter what OS