GPS Antenna Contacts

Search This thread

tedr44

Jan 2, 2012
Attached is the photo of the region that when squeezed appears to make the GPS a LOT better. Thanks to Anandtech for the photo. Anyhow there is a black RF cable and thats about it...the pogopin is for the auxillary wifi antenna contact. Thoughts?
That cable is probably preventing the pogo pin from seating properly so a squeeze flattens the cable temporarily thus pogo and antenna make contact. But when pressure is released pogo slowly backs off eventually losing connection. :(

Thenits

Jan 16, 2012
Pressure point

Okay here is my guess...the black RF cable is the GPS cable that goes from the GPS IC to the GPS pogopin on the other side of the main cct board....I can't see clearly, but it appears that the cable is used in conjunction with PCB tracks to connect the GPS IC to the GPS pogopin. I have attached another photo and was hoping somecould identify the IC - TP5659? The pogo pin that the black RF cable goes next to is the WIFI AUX pogopin. Complete guesswork here. BUT again I tried the pressure point and I'm having definite changes in reception and lock capability. I could be inadvertantly doing something that changes the RF characteristics (ground plane connectivity?) that was not originally designed for, but it has a positive effect so I am going with it....

Last edited:

Thenits

Jan 16, 2012
The cable could be getting in the way of the pogopin, but that pogopin is for the WIFI AUX antenna...I didn't notice any change in WIFI reception when pressure was applied....did you Beavertank?

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Hey Moothead2. The antenna (to the right hand side of the camera - opposide side of the power button) and GPS IC may not be on the same side. I am trying to determine that and think that the connectivity between the antenna and GPS IC through pogopin, cable and PCB tracks could be an issue...maybe not?

Thenits

Jan 16, 2012
Wouldn't that be nice if ASUS actually stepped up and not only identified the problem but also repaired it. I guess I'm keen to identify the exact issue so ASUS does not have any wriggle room by 'addressing' the issue with yet another firmware upgrade or by remaining complacent with their 'lack of GPS capability' stance.

slybarman

Dec 24, 2010
I swapped my prime today @ Bestbuy. I do not believe I got one from the new batch, but GPS is significantly better and wifi is the same or marginally better. No amount of squeezing was helping the old one to get a GPS lock.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Thenits

Jan 16, 2012
From what I can gather from the teardown photos - the WIFI (Azureware) and GPS (Broadcom) chipsets are located next to each other on the right hand side of the main pcb. They ARE therefore adjacent and on the SAME side of the main WIFI and GPS antennae. The white WIFI rf cable on the chipset side connects to the black rf cable on the trackside of the pcb (via a pcb track) to feed the AUX WIFI antenna. From what I can see, the GPS IC feeds the GPS antenna via a pcb track and via the pogopin that is located on the other side of the pcb. There are rf cable connectors (U.FL. connector - photo attached) on the track side of the pcb (U7905 for the GPS and U7907 for WIFI). ASUS decided to use pogopins rather than these and hardwire to the antennae.

A U.FL connector and flylead cable (UFL to SMA Flylead cable - http://www.m2mconnectivity.com.au/m2m-accessories/cables/antenna-flyleads/ufl-to-sma-flylead-cable) and an attached GPS antenna would certainly elliminate the backplate and other possible interference issues...for a bench test anyhow. You could also buy a WIFI antenna with U. FL connnector (for iPAD - http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/390378365967?clk_rvr_id=311056065214) and connect to test WIFI...drill a hole and stick it on the outside if you wish :).

Since the GPS chipset and antenna are on the right hand side of the camera I have no idea why placing pressure on the spot identified on the left hand side affects GPS performance.... but it does. Any ideas?

Last edited:

oblomov

Nov 27, 2007
My tablet, which is from the 2nd manufacturing batch with a serial of "bcoka", is having pretty bad GPS issues. WI-Fi is decent, it's no worse then S2 Galaxy Skyrocket or Galaxy Nexus that I have observed. I haven't really tested Bluetooth signal dropoff and I guess I should really figure out if I have issues with WIFI/Bluetooth combination. I really like the tablet and I am loath to send it back, plus GPS is not a huge deal to me here (multiple android GPS phones, GPS in cars, TomTom GPS portable), but between this, adhoc/infrastructure tethering issue, and left handside screen tearing I seem to get at fairly constant basis (fixable by reboot, but almost like some connector is off), it's somewhat of a pain.

So at the end, the tablet is probably going to have to back to Amazon, which is a shame, since barring these issues it's an excellent device and I've used it for web browsing, note taking, using it for language lessons, and occasional movie watching/gaming/comics/manga/etc.. all works very well. It does not appear there is a solution to at least two of the issues that I have with the thing (perhaps 3 if Bluetooth goes South) and it's also hard to find inventory, so I may wait and see what Lenovo, Acer and Apple have to offer in the next couple of months :(. Or just figure out that I am weak, ignore GPS and tethering (will be fixed in software I think plus work device hotspot) and grab 64gb version in Microcenter :).

Last edited:

jupppo

Apr 18, 2007
I ordered and got my prime last week. Unfortunately Asus took out GPS specs from the data sheet and service told me that I have no right to demand any service on this. So far so bad.
My GPS does not show any satellites at all. No pressing, nothing helps. What I fimd wiered is that sometimes the GPS icon blinks, but most of the time it does not, when I start GPS test plus.

I guess dismanteling the prime is quite a difficult excerzise....

PaulVulcan

Sep 24, 2011
I ordered and got my prime last week. Unfortunately Asus took out GPS specs from the data sheet and service told me that I have no right to demand any service on this. So far so bad.
My GPS does not show any satellites at all. No pressing, nothing helps. What I fimd wiered is that sometimes the GPS icon blinks, but most of the time it does not, when I start GPS test plus.

I guess dismanteling the prime is quite a difficult excerzise....

This is what I was worried would happen.
Say your GPS works now but later you get a problem with it and you want to have Asus look at it. So now they won't fix it without a charge because it's not listed as a device.

Reactions: buxtahuda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I’ve been struggling with why my GPS quit seeing any satellites after the 9.4.2.11 update when I realized something looking at Anand’s teardown:

AnandTech - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime Teardown

Perhaps the antenna connections are weak or have become slightly corroded. Based on his teardown the contacts are spring type “pogopins” which mate with the opposite face. With that thought in mind I decided to try and flex the tablet ever so slightly to clean the contacts. The idea being that the slight flex would cause the pins to scrape the contact surface rubbing a clean(er) spot.

Before the 9.4.2.11 update I had the typical poor performance from the GPS, getting locks but losing them on the move. I had given up on it [GPS] until this update which touted GPS improvements. After updating and wiping I tested the GPS again, but could not see even one satellite after letting it sit, more than once, for over an hour with Wi-Fi on and off.

I must stress I strongly suggest you do not try this on your tablet for fear of damaging it. I take no responsibly for damage to anyone’s tablet and am only reporting my actions.

After this procedure I am able to see several birds indoors, albeit with weak SNR. This has me convinced that part of the problem is related to these contacts, and may serve to explain some of the weak Wi-Fi reports. It may also help illustrate why only some users are seeing issues, and perhaps why some of the returns are functioning better. These contacts may be more robust in some units or possibly be able to be rectified via service.

I do understand there are other factors related to both the GPS and Wi-Fi, but this appears, at least to me, to be part of the bigger picture.

Please note that the amount of flex I’m talking about is next to nothing, enough to see a change in light bleed around the display, I was afraid to go too far.

*Mods, I'm not sure why this post was deleted before, please PM me if there is a problem with this post. I did not include the link.*
    No joke, I'm going to try the "squeeze" method. Just so I'm clear, the antennas are on the power button side (left side looking at face)?

January 26, 2011
    AsusTEK
    Taiwan

In response to numerous complaints regarding Wi-Fi performance with the newly introduced Transformer Prime, Asus is providing existing customers with a fix. All newly sold devices will have the fix included in the box at shipping. By simply applying the fix over the Wi-Fi antenna connection on the edge of the Transformer Prime, customers will see an immediate benefit. As always, Asus is constantly stiving to come up with new ways of improving the customer experience.

images
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21489600&postcount=10

You can bypass the pogo pins by connecting a pigtail to the UF.L connector at the chip leadouts, then solder the other end to the antennae's copper pads. It should improve reception.
    Have you seen the new evidence found? It was found out that Original Transformer actually uses the soldered type connection E.mote described. I was gonna start a thread but no use as this one is perfect for the new info.

FIRST here is the quote n pics from e.mote of the current Prime type of connection

From looking at the Prime teardown, your wifi loss may be due to a loose connection. Instead of running a pigtail directly from the chip lead-out to the antenna, the Prime uses spring-loaded pogo pins (1st pic) as intermediate connectors.

Second pic shows the pogo pins for the main wifi and GPS antennae. The spring-loaded pins are pressed against the copper pads of the respective antenna (3rd pic). Suffice it to say, this isn't the most secure way to connect the antennae.

Aside from possible broken or intermittent connection, it also looks like a high-loss connection, and could contribute to attenuated signal reception. My guess is that this may be the main culprit of wifi/GPS woes, with the metal shell being a contributing factor.

The 4th pic below is a U.FL connector that's normally used for antenna pigtails. The lip has an outer overhang for a secure connection.

My guess is that the tablet was bumped and something shifted a bit, breaking the antenna connection.

This is FYI only, as the unit isn't user-serviceable. It does look like a simple fix, but you'd have to open the unit. Edit: You can try smacking the top edge of the tablet a few times and see if it will jar back into place. Worth a try.

Pogo pins used as intermediate connectors for wifi & GPS antennae
    168ed06.jpg

The two pogo pins for main wifi and GPS. The spring-loaded heads are pressed against the antennae's pads to make the connection.
    1i1gzm.jpg

The main wifi & GPS antenna, with copper pads to connect to the pins
    2jb1qic.jpg

U.FL connector, normally used for antenna connection
    35mh3ja.jpg

NOW here is the Original Prime teardown and type of connection

http://m.techrepublic.com/photos/cr...-transformer-tf101/6270147?seq=53#photo-frame

OG Transformer teardown pix

6270161-620-413.jpg

6270165-620-413.jpg

NOW HERE IS THE KICKER
    that GPS/Wifi connection looks like a soldered wire and not pogo pin to me!

6270186-620-414.jpg

6270197-620-414.jpg

6270198-620-414.jpg

6270199-620-414.jpg

6270191-620-413.jpg

WHO said copy n paste n select text doesn't work well on the Prime? Lol I did this all from the Prime itself from various threads. ;)
    LOOOOONG before any of this was known, before tear downs and pogo pins and what not, you can find a post of mine - late December - where I reported I had so so GPS with nearly zero signal seen or locked on, and then I dropped my tablet while running a GPS test - picked it up and low and behold POW satellites and locks for days.

Ironic how that post might have been the first indicator of connector issues and none of us knew at the time of that post.