[APP] Tasker

Search This thread

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
I use Tasker for automating a lot of redundant tasks on my phone. I figured I would post a couple I'm using with hope that others will share with me some stuff they use it for.

action: Docked.
Tasks done when docked: Bluetooth on, wifi off, gps on, auto brightness set off [if time < 1800, Display Brightness set to 255 if time < 1800, pandora set on.
exit tasks: Bluetooth off, auto brightness on if TIME < 1800, pandora set off, gps off.

Action open Application Maps/Nav or any gps app.
Tasks done: GPS on
exit tasks done: GPS off.

action: phone face down
Tasks done: airplane mode on if time < 2200, all sounds off except for alarm
exit tasks: airplane mode off, all sounds revert to previous settings.

these 3 i use, if you have any others let me know. If you need help with the program let me know too.

here is where you can grab tasker.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

SicMe

Mar 15, 2009
NJ
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Sounds something that I would definitly use. I beleive its a paid app, but still worth it. I'll look into it. Does it have settings for wifi e.g.- 1 touch WIFI on, because i'm using the stock wifi on/of toggle but I then have to go into wifi settings and actually see my phone connecting to my network in order for i to work and turn on.... ??????

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah there are settings for connecting to wifi. Mine does it automatically when I get home based on the gps. Works most of the time, had to turn it on manually a couple times because the gps wasn't on.

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
Make it separate tasks.
make 1 for each app.

Foursquare - turn on gps. Turn off gps when exit.
Ect.

also, I guess there is a wiki with a bunch of samples I guess. I'm out at a remote beach on northern oahu right now, but if someone doesn't post it before me I'll post the link when I get home.

Last edited:

techspy

Oct 27, 2005
Just bought Tasker and so far I like it. Can't seem to figure out how to do the following task though.

I need to set to static IP when on a certain wifi connection. I already have the IP set and the only thing that will need to be done is to toggle the static IP checkbox in the advanced setting of wifi. I know how to specify the wifi network but how can I make it toggle that checkbox/setting?

Thanks for any info.

Fire_Child22

Aug 13, 2010
i made a simple widget to toggle the screen brightness to two preset brightens for inside and direct sunlight.

i could not find an app that let me choose the brightness, they either made it full dark/bright.

i can't work out however to toggle a different widget icon to indicate on/off...

i've tried set icon but with no luck

its not really needed but would be good to have/know for future apps

also, can anyone explain how the HTTP (get info from net) works?

i want to try a few things but not really sure how it works

Last edited:

MrDanger

Nov 10, 2009
Starkville, MS
Yeah there are settings for connecting to wifi. Mine does it automatically when I get home based on the gps. Works most of the time, had to turn it on manually a couple times because the gps wasn't on.

You should use "wifi near" as a condition instead of "gps". That way it just toggles you wifi on and off periodically and if it is near... it will connect.

Gps is so demanding on the battery... and not always accurate... as you see

MrDanger

Nov 10, 2009
Starkville, MS
I also have a profile that texts my gf a random message at a random time that is between 7:30 am and 7:40 am (so she don't think it's automated lol) every morning. I got that idea from LexusBrian

Again.. great app!

nycorduroy

Sep 24, 2010
Here was I have got going on with tasker.
Car dock: gps on, bluetooth on, display always on, notification volume off. On exit they all do the opposite.
When home: wifi on. Exit wifi goes off.
At work: phone goes to vibrate for everything.
10pm to 545am: phone goes quiet.
I second it a best app ever. Wifi, gps, and bluetooth are never on when I don't need em. Come on you can't beat that. What a battery saver.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

apinkel

Dec 21, 2008
Tasker is an incredibly handy utility.

Here's the profiles I use:

GPSonForLocationApps - I think this one has already been covered by this thread.

WifiOnAtHome - I use the wifi near option... although I think it's causing issues with my 3G signal... it will occasionally turn on wifi to check if I'm at home which seems to turn off 3G. Still playing with this one.

LowVolumeDuringWorkHours - sets various volumes appropriately so I can still hear stuff but doesn't annoy folks working near by. I turn this on/off based on day of week and time of day. Upon exiting this profile it returns my volumes back to normal.

NoficationsOffAtNight - I turn off notifications at night and if my phone is plugged into AC.

SilentForMeetings - if I have a calendar entry where I'm marked as busy it turns my phone to silent mode.

Oct 29, 2010
Norrtälje
Openwatch?

Hello

I am new to Tasker, and I'm starting to understand exactly how much you can do. Uses open watch a lot and have done a lot of settings to make my clock better. But I wonder if I can get messages from one app to my watch. The app is an ice hockey results service. And each time it becomes a goal, I get it as income message in the status bar. But can I get the message in the clock at the same time? Right now I just get a message in the watch which I've written, but would like it says in the status bar so you do not I pick up the phone to look at the result. Is there perhaps a few codes to enter, instead of my message is? Hope you understand me?

Last edited:

zehkaiser

Sep 13, 2010
I have mine set to enable WiFi when I connect to a certain cell tower. Keeps the drain on my batter to nothing more than it was already at, and GPS is only enabled for about 5 minutes to and from the house. I'm sure the drain for that combined 10 minutes is much less than periodically checking the GPS or if a network is near.

mruno

Aug 27, 2010
Google Pixel 7
I am turning off gps when I get to my home cell tower and turning on my wifi at the same time.

For my multimedia apps like pandora, I have my screen stay on when plugged to a power source.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you guys use Tasker to enable/disable key guard under certain conditions? If yes, does it work reliably for you?

I have a profile that disables key guard when connected to wifi at home and it works sometimes, but not always. It also will re-enable the key guard when it is still connected to wifi. I'm just trying to find out your experiences with this particular feature.

Yes it works reliably depending on the triggers. In your case probably because your wifi goes to sleep sometimes (or just out of range for eg.) and it triggers the exit task and gets tasker confused. If you used a more stable trigger eg. when phone is plugged into power or by time slots, you'll notice that the feature works all the time.

I personally use the Location trigger to off my keyguard at home at it works 90% of the time so perhaps you can consider using that.
    SGS2 i9100 Tasker + WidgetLocker

Lock screen management/manual lock.

When you unlock the screen, the lock will be paused.
    So you don't have to unlock the screen over and over if at home. (screen off only)

Before putting the phone in pocket, you press a shortcut that resumes the lock
    and locks the screen simultaneously.
    This also triggers a task that ensures if the phone gets unlocked by accident inside pocket, it will immediately lock again.

Tasks:

Pocket Security
    1. Task -> Wait 200 MS
    2. 3rd Party -> WidgetLocker -> Resume
    3. Display -> System Lock
    4. Task -> Wait 3 Seconds 500 MS
    5. Tasker -> Profile Status -> Pocket Security -> Set Off
    6. Tasker -> Profile Status -> Pocket Security -> Set On

Pocket Security On
    1. Tasker -> Profile Status -> Pocket Security -> Set On

Pocket Security Off
    1. 3rd Party -> WidgetLocker -> Suspend
    2. Task -> Wait 8 Seconds
    3. Tasker -> Profile Status -> Pocket Security -> Set Off

Lock the Screen
    1. 3rd Party -> WidgetLocker -> Resume
    2. Display -> System Lock

Profiles:

Pocket Security
    First Context -> State -> Sensor -> Proximity Sensor
    Add 2nd Context (long press the first) -> State -> Phone -> Incoming Call - Check Invert!
    Assigned task: Pocket Security
    Turn this profile off after creating!

Pocket Security On
    Context -> Event -> 3rd Party -> WidgetLocker -> Locked
    Assigned task: Pocket Security On

Pocket Security Off
    Context -> Event -> 3rd Party -> WidgetLocker -> Unlocked
    Assigned task: Pocket Security Off

Now for the toggle:
    Create a shortcut on your home screen and select Task Cut.
    Assign the "Lock the Screen" task.
    You have to assign an icon inside Tasker.
    (when the shortcut is finished, you can use icons sets compatible with your launcher)
    I have this shortcut inside my dock, so i can lock from any home screen.

Note: After unlocking the screen, don't cover the proximity sensor for 8 seconds.
    Then the sensor gets turned off.

And don't forget to press the lock toggle before putting the phone in your pocket! :)
    You could also activate it based on your location... i personally don't like
    location based events.

Explanation for step 4-6 of the Pocket Security task:
    If the event was triggered and the sensor is still covered, it will not trigger
    the event again till you reveal the sensor and cover again.
    You can test this by taking out step 4 to 6 from this task.
    Just lock the screen and turn it on several times while covering the sensor with your finger.
    The wait and profile restart is a workaround for this.
    This way if it fails the first time it will lock max. 5 seconds later.
    (try to make a call within this time...:))
    Don't set the wait shorter than 3 seconds, or it won't work properly.
    When waking from deep sleep, it can take a few secs till things get active.
    I've tested this for several hours, 3.5 secs is a save value.
    I'm still new here I've tried to find this answer a few ways I even looked at the tasker wiki guide. Here is the problem:

So I always forget to turn my wifi off when I leave my house, work, school, friends, apartments, etc. I've figured out the logic to get tasker to do what I want but I can't figure out how to do it.

Profile:

Conditions: Wifi is on - Wifi is not connected to any saved network

Task: Wait 2 minutes - recheck - If conditions are still true then Turn off wifi.

I've searched through the tasker options a dozen times but I can't seem to find a way to do this. Anyone have an idea? I'd rather not enter specific SSIDs because I use so many different ones frequently

Not sure if I get the problem correctly, but there's a WiFi Connected trigger in State -> Net. Invert it to make it WiFI NOT connected. Doesnt require an ssid to be entered

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Here is what I currently use Tasker for.

Profiles:

Outside
    Trigger:
    WiFi not connected to home WiFi

Actions:
    Notify of any todo items matching "shopping" list.
    Max screen brightness
    Write "*Myname* is not home (since %TIME)" to status.txt. This file is then synced to dropbox using dropsync, where a range of family members have access to it.

Help
    Trigger:
    incoming SMS with code word

Actions:
    Max media volume
    Play pre-recorded message from me with info + asks for audio reply from anyone who has the phone
    Record audio
    Activate GPS location profile
    Wait a few dozen seconds
    Stop audio recording (the file is then synced to dropbox)
    Get location
    Write location + other things to a file (then synced to dropbox)
    Play new audio recording from me
    Deactivate GPS profile
    Run dropsync (in case it didnt run automatically due to battery level before)

Sleep mode
    Trigger:
    %Sleepmode ~ on (%Sleepmode set by invisible icon+popup on homescreen)

Actions:
    Write "*Myname* has been sleeping since %TIME" to status.txt
    Display brightness 10%
    Alarm volume max
    Variable set %Lastsleep to "SM is on"
    Make Your Clock Variable plugin. SLEEP = %Lastsleep
    Variable set %Smactivation to %TIMES
    Perform Task "Screen off" -> turns off my PC screens remotely (not my phone screen)

Exit actions:
    Write "*Myname* is home" to status.txt
    Variable Set %Lastsleep to "LS %TIME"
    Make Your Clock Variable plugin. SLEEP = %Lastsleep
    Variable set %Smduration to (%TIMES - %Smactivation)/3600
    Flash "You slept for %Smduration hours"
    Perform task "Screen on" -> turns on my PC screens remotely (not my phone screen)

My clock widget has a few small pieces of text that it pulls from Tasker, one of them being its SLEEP variable, which displays the last time Sleep Mode was deactivated or that it's currently on.
    When sleep mode turns on, my phone screen dims, my PC screens turn off. When it's deactivated, my phone lights back up, PC screens turn on, and it displays a message saying how long I slept. With my random sleep cycles, I actually need to know that, and when I last slept xD

No Dad
    My dad has a tendency to always call when I'm asleep. Never fails. Doesn't matter if I sleep during the day or at night, he will manage to hit that window right on the head every single time. hence why he's "singled out" for this profile.

Trigger:
    Phone Ringing, "dad"
    %Sleepmode ~ on

Actions
    End call
    Read Paragraph 1 from "status.txt" to %Sleepstatus
    Send SMS to "dad", message "This is Myname's phone. %Sleepstatus, so he can't take your call."

I also have some much more complicated tasks that have close to 100 individual actions. Those are however work related and not relevant for anyone here
    Another silly question. How do I recheck profile conditions in the middle of a task?

I can think of a hundred ways to do this depending on what you want to recheck, but I assume it's the state of the WiFi. I think the simplest thing would be to create a profile that has "wifi not connected" as the trigger, Set Variable %Wifistatus To disconnected (you can name the variable and value whatever you want) as the enter task, and Set Variable %Wifistatus To connected as the exit task. Then create a new profile which has Variable Value as the trigger, %Wifistatus (matches) disconnected. The task should then first be Wait (for as long as you want to wait, 2 minutes was what you said in the other post) and then you add task WiFi Set: Off, check If, and enter %Wifistatus (matches) disconnected

Basically this uses a variable to create a "wifi disconnected" state that can be used by any action. When WiFI is first disconnected, the timer starts, and if WiFi is still disconnected when it finishes, WiFi is turned off.

I use the same method myself in order to have multiple profiles and individual tasks trigger off the same event, in my case my sleep mode profile which doesn't just run the sleep mode enter/exit tasks but also controls whether or not my "no dad" profile is active
    ive used tasker for basic things (turn wifi on/off, set volumes, etc) but need some help doing a few things that are beyond clicking on one of the pre-made actions in tasker. i am using this in conjunction with nfc task launcher on my galaxy nexus.

i know how to have tasker open an app automatically but is there a way to have it do things within that app. for example, one of the nfc tag ideas i read was using it to automatically start a timer for when you are doing the laundry or cooking. i have an app called stopwatch/timer. is there a way to have tasker open that app and start a timer?

thanks.

That depends on the app. In your case, yes, yes there is. Get the following:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.intuitit.android.p.timer
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.autoshortcut

Create your preset timers in the timer app. Go to Tasker actions, Plugins, AutoShortcut, click the Edit button, and scroll down to the Timer option. Select your preset timer.