[GUIDE] Download ANY firmware customization from Sony & create an FTF with Flashtool

Search This thread

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
Yeah, the folder is present with 92 of those ICON files. I did get that Download screen on my first try, but on consequent tries it goes straight to "Preparing," presumably because the files are already cached on my computer (?).

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit, and SMUE 2.14.1.201312191309.

One correction to my last post: I'm running PC Companion 2.10.188, not 181.

I just tried it myself on Windows 7 64-bit. First, an update was installed, after which I have the same SPCC and SMUE versions as you.
The difference with this new version is, if you disconnect your phone in step 3, it gets stuck on a "checking phone/tablet" screen.
So I tried again and waited to disconnect my phone until the "downloading software" screen in step 5 appeared.
Then the FILE_XXXXXXXXX files were being downloaded to the same folder (C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs).

G

GuestK00190

I just tried it myself on Windows 7 64-bit. First, an update was installed, after which I have the same SPCC and SMUE versions as you.
The difference with this new version is, if you disconnect your phone in step 3, it gets stuck on a "checking phone/tablet" screen.
So I tried again and waited to disconnect my phone until the "downloading software" screen in step 5 appeared.
Then the FILE_XXXXXXXXX files were being downloaded to the same folder (C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs).

Thanks for the info, it worked for me and I now have an FTF ready to go! :good:

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
this procedure worked for me just now to extract the Xperia Z Ultra firmware downloaded by PC Companion, and make an FTF which I then flashed using flashtool.

I'm a n00b to Xperia flashing, so thanks for the guide which makes it so easy.

reednoel4u

Jan 3, 2013
Vung Tau
Part A: changing your customization number to download a different firmware customization (optional)

Requirements:

1. Start BuildProp Editor.
  2. When a Superuser request pops up, tap 'Grant' or 'Allow'.

8i5m.png

3. At the first start, a backup of 'build.prop' will be created automatically, which can be restored in case of any problems.

7bet.png

4. Scroll down to 'ro.semc.version.cust' and tap it.

51zc.png

5. Change the value to the customization number of the firmware you want to download.

skwg.png

6. When asked to reboot, tap 'No'.

m7z.png

7. Tap 'ro.semc.version.cus_revision' and change the value to 'R1A'.

v81c.png

8. When asked to reboot, tap 'Yes'.

Part B: downloading firmware with Sony PC Companion

Requirements:

1. Delete this folder if it already exists:
    - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
    - Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
  2. Start Sony PC Companion.
  • Case A: new software version available

8g3.png

1. Click 'Update'.

2. Click 'Accept'.

n77.png

3. If you only want to download the firmware without updating, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

4. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be updated.

nq2.png
  • Case B: no new software version available

pqp8.png

1. Click 'Your Phone / Tablet is up to date'.

2. Click 'repair my phone / tablet'.

3kr.png

3. Click 'Next'.

p5bc.png

4. Repairing your phone will delete your personal data and settings. If you don't want this, see step 6. Click 'Continue'.

7hq.png

5. Tick the checkbox and click 'Next'.

9f5h.png

6. If you only want to download the firmware without repairing, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

7. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be repaired and your personal data will be lost.

nq2.png

Part C: creating an FTF file with Flashtool

Requirements:
  • Flashtool
  • Firmware files from Sony PC Companion or Sony Update Service (see part B).

1. Start Flashtool or Flashtool64 (for 64-bit Windows).
  2. Click 'Tools' > 'SEUS Decrypt'.

4m7.png

3. Select the 'Source Folder' (copy-pasting this path will not work):
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows XP): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows Vista/7/8): C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (32-bit Windows): C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (64-bit Windows): C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    Move all 'Available files' to 'Files to convert' by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
    Click 'Convert'.

c6w.png

4gsd.png

4. Enter the following details:
    - Device: your phone model, e.g. 'C6502', 'C6503' or 'C6506' for Xperia ZL (see 'Settings' > 'About phone' > 'Model number').
    - Branding: can be found in the first columns of these tables by looking up the customization number, e.g. 'Generic US'.
    - Version: the build number of the firmware, e.g. '10.1.1.A.1.307'.
    Move all files from 'folder list' to 'Firmware content' except *.ta files (e.g. simlock.ta, preset1.ta, cust-reset.ta, ...) by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
    Click 'Create'.

mh3c.png

5. When you see 'Bundle creation finished', your FTF will be in 'C:\Flashtool\firmwares'. If your combination of device/branding/build is not yet available on xda-developers forum, please be so kind to share it (see part D).

cdfc.png

6. To save about 2 GB of disk space, delete this folder:
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows XP): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows Vista/7/8): C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (32-bit Windows): C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (64-bit Windows): C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs

Part D: sharing your FTF on xda-developers forum

1. Upload your FTF to a file host. I use Dev-Host for this purpose, but it only supports files up to 512 MB, so I use WinRAR to pack my FTF with the following options: 'Compression method' = 'store' (since FTF is already compressed), 'Split to volumes, size' = '512 MB'. Of course you can use a different file host and archiver if required. Please note that Google Drive, Dropbox and Box all have bandwidth quotas, so your shared files may be disabled if they are downloaded too much.
  2. Create a new thread on xda-developers forum in 'Xperia ZL General' and include at least the following information:
    - Device
    - Build number
    - Android version
    - Customization version
    - Region
    - Branding
    - Download links
    Here is an example: [STOCK ROM][FTF] Xperia Z (C6603) 10.1.1.A.1.253 Generic BE (Unbranded/Belgium)

If this post was helpful, don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.

@Apollo89,
I finish make FTF file but how to know the file is right?
Coult you please check for me ? this FTF for Z Ultra C8602:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lildj9ms7kfqv2f/C6802_HSPA+_14.2.A.1.136.ftf
Thanks

LeoOrta

Feb 5, 2013
Cárdenas
Build Prop Editor not work!.

Hello guys, i have a XPERIA ZL C6506 and i want download the Customization Version 1272-9003 from Telefónica MoviStar but the Build Prop Editor not save the changes at the any file.

Of course i have my phone rooted.

When i restart my phone the changes not are save and the PC Companion or SUS reinstalled the same version.

Sorry for my bad english. Please helpme!.

Last edited:

cirovi

Apr 15, 2010
creating an FTF file with Flashtool...answered

hi,

i'm a noob :p ....but i cant creating FTF file because i cant write the "device" name (part C at point 4 "Enter the following details")

because flashtool-0.9.15.0-windows will not let me go on "device" to write that field.
It remains gray instead of white like the others "branding" and "version".

Where am I wrong ?

Edit:
Ok i find myself the answer: Duble click on device field !!:good:

p.s.Great guide, thank you very much !!!
Only (if I can afford a suggestion) that you should specify in the point 3-4 of part C you need to go in the "tools" to find "bundler"

Sorry for my primitive :D english

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakisha and Djezpur

MichaelRando

Apr 13, 2014
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact ftf file

I'm in the US. I followed the steps here to create the FTF 14.3.A.0.757 US D5503 file. I uploaded it to file sharing, but I can't post the link because I'm too noob on the forums for link-posting.

If someone can use this to make a flashable zip has a need for it, dm me and I'll send you the link.

jafferman

Apr 15, 2013
I'm in the US. I followed the steps here to create the FTF 14.3.A.0.757 US D5503 file. I uploaded it to file sharing, but I can't post the link because I'm too noob on the forums for link-posting.

If someone can use this to make a flashable zip has a need for it, dm me and I'll send you the link.

I think you have posted to the wrong forum, This is for ZL

Sina King

Sep 22, 2010
XDA . . . !
I have a problem with making ftf file ...
I want to create a kit-kat based ftf ( Xperia Z1 4.4.2 ) ,
In this version we have a new .xml file that make my creation failed !
So i removed this file from rom & make it like before .
Here is my question that Is this an important file for ftf file ?

Problem Solved : I should Check No Final Verification .

Last edited:

SavageRobot

I have a problem with making ftf file ...
I want to create a kit-kat based ftf ( Xperia Z1 4.4.2 ) ,
In this version we have a new .xml file that make my creation failed !
So i removed this file from rom & make it like before .
Here is my question that Is this an important file for ftf file ?

Problem Solved : I should Check No Final Verification .

I too am having a problem with the .xml bit but think mine may be slightly different...it has been streaming that bit for about two hours now. Was I supposed to leave it out? Also, I cant find my cust no to get the branding. I know I am UK EE so I just called mine that, but it is very close to the T-Mobile one, just has "_" and some letters after it. Should I just list it as T-Mobile, or would that screw someones up if they use it and just call it EE?

Last edited:

emilic

Mar 15, 2007
Hey guys!

I just did it and it worked!!
So before I foget... I want to share things I found out...

1.- You can find any firmware (FTF) version you want by checking the combination numbers here: http://fuas.sonymobile.com/fuas/services/updates?clientName=PCC&clientVersion=3.0&lang=en-EN&model=D5503&tac_mc=35168006&swId=1279-1792&swVer=14.2.A.1.114&fsVariant=EURO-LTE&cdfVer=R1A&buildVariant=USER&clientCertType=live&updateFormat=delta,image&channel=cable&cdfId=1279-7252
Just change the ID number at the end ;)

2.- You can simulate this or version ID number by changing the latest update you are using. So in part A of this manual, just change ro.semc.version.fs_revision to a lower one, reboot and then your phone will think it needs an update ;)

3.- If you are creating your TFT and you want to keep your rooted phone, by using the guides of @zxz0O0 ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688933); then you must also remove the system.sim file when you create the TFT

4.- After doing the TFT (if you want to keep your rooted phone) you need the flasher. ;)

EGY falcon

May 11, 2014
I'm so confused!!
I have Sony Xperia L C2015 - Android 4.2.2 - 15.3.A.1.17
I have done Root access successfully, and my Bootloader still locked, I used this method to root my phone " http://xdaforums.com/xperia-l/general/root-firmware-15-3-1-12-t2591290".
Now I need to make Factory Reset to clean everything then Reroot then Install my apps in a clean condition .
Now the question is:
How to make factory reset and return back to the original condition of the phone?????
Knowing that I'm not an expert, so please anyone give an easy tutorial :)
I appreciate any help ... Thanks :)

Last edited:

ecksdeeay

Aug 18, 2012
Sony Xperia 5 II
Sony Xperia 5 III
I'm so confused!!
I have Sony Xperia L C2015 - Android 4.2.2 - 15.3.A.1.17

Obtain your 15.3.A.1.17 fw (did you receive over the air or through your computer?) If you don't have it , it may be listed on here in the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2355985 (or I can send you the *.14 fw for UK) then the computer can download the *.17 fw & proceed to flash it using Flashtool.
Learn how to use Flashtool.

Sent from my VGN-NS10J_S using Tapatalk

RabidTurtle

Jun 4, 2014
First off; Thank you very much for this guide.

I'm on Rogers in North America Xperia ZL C6506

I recently upgraded to KitKat 4.4 but it caused severe battery drain issues to the point it was draining faster than it could charge.
I managed to revert it to jellybean 4.3 but I'm 99.9% sure I grabbed the wrong model number so now the internet settings are not working properly.

I've searched everything I can think of and am unable to locate the proper .ftf file to fix it, so I will go through the guide again and see if this will restore it to the proper settings.

Unless someone already has a file I can use? Heh long shot I'm sure.

I'm not overly tech savvy but will give it a shot. I just want things working again.

So far your forum has been more helpful than Rogers, Android and Sony's websites combined.

androidfreak32

Nov 21, 2012
i think you're missing only an access piont file that's why your lte is not working at all. try to search the apn on rogers website.

Sent from my C5306

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
First off; Thank you very much for this guide.

I'm on Rogers in North America Xperia ZL C6506

I recently upgraded to KitKat 4.4 but it caused severe battery drain issues to the point it was draining faster than it could charge.
I managed to revert it to jellybean 4.3 but I'm 99.9% sure I grabbed the wrong model number so now the internet settings are not working properly.

I've searched everything I can think of and am unable to locate the proper .ftf file to fix it, so I will go through the guide again and see if this will restore it to the proper settings.

Unless someone already has a file I can use? Heh long shot I'm sure.

I'm not overly tech savvy but will give it a shot. I just want things working again.

So far your forum has been more helpful than Rogers, Android and Sony's websites combined.

Are you still using a C6506 firmware (not C6502 or C6503)? If yes, then you can use this guide to change your customization number back to 1270-7616 (Rogers Wireless CA).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] Download ANY firmware customization from Sony & create an FTF with Flashtool

Part A: changing your customization number to download a different firmware customization (optional)

Requirements:

1. Start BuildProp Editor.
    2. When a Superuser request pops up, tap 'Grant' or 'Allow'.

8i5m.png

3. At the first start, a backup of 'build.prop' will be created automatically, which can be restored in case of any problems.

7bet.png

4. Scroll down to 'ro.semc.version.cust' and tap it.

51zc.png

5. Change the value to the customization number of the firmware you want to download.

skwg.png

6. When asked to reboot, tap 'No'.

m7z.png

7. Tap 'ro.semc.version.cus_revision' and change the value to 'R1A'.

v81c.png

8. When asked to reboot, tap 'Yes'.

Part B: downloading firmware with Sony PC Companion

Requirements:

1. Delete this folder if it already exists:
      - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
      - Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
    2. Start Sony PC Companion.
    • Case A: new software version available

8g3.png

1. Click 'Update'.

2. Click 'Accept'.

n77.png

3. If you only want to download the firmware without updating, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

4. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be updated.

nq2.png
    • Case B: no new software version available

pqp8.png

1. Click 'Your Phone / Tablet is up to date'.

2. Click 'repair my phone / tablet'.

3kr.png

3. Click 'Next'.

p5bc.png

4. Repairing your phone will delete your personal data and settings. If you don't want this, see step 6. Click 'Continue'.

7hq.png

5. Tick the checkbox and click 'Next'.

9f5h.png

6. If you only want to download the firmware without repairing, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

7. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be repaired and your personal data will be lost.

nq2.png

Part C: creating an FTF file with Flashtool

Requirements:
    • Flashtool
    • Firmware files from Sony PC Companion or Sony Update Service (see part B).

1. Start Flashtool or Flashtool64 (for 64-bit Windows).
    2. Click 'Tools' > 'SEUS Decrypt'.

4m7.png

3. Select the 'Source Folder' (copy-pasting this path will not work):
      Move all 'Available files' to 'Files to convert' by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
      Click 'Convert'.

c6w.png

4gsd.png

4. Enter the following details:
      - Device: your phone model, e.g. 'C6502', 'C6503' or 'C6506' for Xperia ZL (see 'Settings' > 'About phone' > 'Model number').
      - Branding: can be found in the first columns of these tables by looking up the customization number, e.g. 'Customized US'.
      - Version: the build number of the firmware, e.g. '10.1.1.A.1.307'.
      Move all files from 'folder list' to 'Firmware content' except *.ta files (e.g. simlock.ta, preset1.ta, cust-reset.ta, ...) by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
      Click 'Create'.

mh3c.png

5. When you see 'Bundle creation finished', your FTF will be in 'C:\Flashtool\firmwares'. If your combination of device/branding/build is not yet available on xda-developers forum, please be so kind to share it (see part D).

cdfc.png

6. To save about 2 GB of disk space, delete this folder:

Part D: sharing your FTF on xda-developers forum

1. Upload your FTF to a file host. I use Dev-Host for this purpose, but it only supports files up to 512 MB, so I use WinRAR to pack my FTF with the following options: 'Compression method' = 'store' (since FTF is already compressed), 'Split to volumes, size' = '512 MB'. Of course you can use a different file host and archiver if required. Please note that Google Drive, Dropbox and Box all have bandwidth quotas, so your shared files may be disabled if they are downloaded too much.
    2. Create a new thread on xda-developers forum in 'Xperia ZL General' and include at least the following information:
      - Device
      - Build number
      - Android version
      - Customization version
      - Region
      - Branding
      - Download links
      Here is an example: [STOCK ROM][FTF] Xperia Z (C6603) 10.1.1.A.1.253 Generic BE (Unbranded/Belgium)

If this post was helpful, don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.
    HI, i have a question
    this procedure does not change the official operator of the band,
    because for example in a xperia x10 mini, flash the ftf file from other country, the cellphone show the message input the code for sim unlock

That's correct. Flashing a different firmware customization does not lock or unlock your phone. SIM lock is inside the Trim Area (TA), which does not get flashed.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk
    I think he meant the bootloader unlockability, and the earlier post meant the network operator unlocability....

Both the bootloader lock and the network lock settings are stored in the Trim Area (TA) of your phone, which does not get affected by Flashtool. So no, flashing a different firmware customization will not change anything to your bootloader lock or network lock status.
    cant find the dp file in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs

Look under "c:\ProgramData\...". It should be there. (Not under "Program Files" ). If winXP, check for the location as per OP.
    creating an FTF file with Flashtool...answered

hi,

i'm a noob :p ....but i cant creating FTF file because i cant write the "device" name (part C at point 4 "Enter the following details")

because flashtool-0.9.15.0-windows will not let me go on "device" to write that field.
    It remains gray instead of white like the others "branding" and "version".

Where am I wrong ?

Edit:
    Ok i find myself the answer: Duble click on device field !!:good:

p.s.Great guide, thank you very much !!!
    Only (if I can afford a suggestion) that you should specify in the point 3-4 of part C you need to go in the "tools" to find "bundler"

Sorry for my primitive :D english