Horizontal Banding Issue/Corallation (THEORY ONLY)

Search This thread

thatbigmoose

Jan 11, 2012
This is what mine looks like.
Not as bad as others, but annoying nonetheless.
This screenshot was taken while starting up riptide, but this issue arrises all the time, including at the home screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-01-11-20-04-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-01-11-20-04-19.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 108

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
yeah I can tell for sure I didn't have nothing like this. mine must've been a baby glitch compared to the screenshots I'm seeing here. How often does this occur? how long it last? or is all of your devices like that permanently?

Element_01303

Feb 9, 2010
Now that the over clock idea has been debunked,this must be a problem closely related to the rebooting issue.... just not enough to cause a full reboot.. almost as if the shaders or cpu can not keep up to render correctly. In bad cases maybe it forces a restart, idk.... what i do is that when this issue is bad as seen above, it really makes the prime no fun to play with. I had no problems before the ics update. The worst thing is the intermittent nature of the problem, it will lie dormant for say 10 minutes and then start up again...countless wipes, and endless reading have yielded nothing.... I now have an RMA number from ASUS for this but am certain it must be software related as HC was fine.... so maybe a corrupt d/l of the ota or what i have a strong feeling about is lack of a full wipe of the HC install before we got ICS so we have a file compatibility issue. I think i am going to give ASUS till monday before i RMA for a new unit.... but really that is a last resort, hell maybe it wont even start up if we get another update!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

cbasse

Not sure which thread I saw it in but I believe someone from Asus stated the banding issue will be fixed in the next update.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

So, while using Google Music today my screen did the following:

uploadfromtaptalk1326331743026.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1326331774679.jpg

Anyone else seen this? Aside from this I've no real issues. Does this appear to be related to the banding issue?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Last edited:

cbasse

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326332106927.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326332106927.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 55
  • uploadfromtaptalk1326332121999.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326332121999.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 49

Caanon

Aug 1, 2010
Same issue here. Supposedly a dev that posted here said they'd get to fixing it next OTA

thatbigmoose

Jan 11, 2012
Not sure which thread I saw it in but I believe someone from Asus stated the banding issue will be fixed in the next update.

With all due respect, i dont care.
I cant believe a problem like this could get past their QA team. Very dissappointing. I was convinced the wifi, BT and GPS was an honest mistake.
But now its obvious that theyre not even trying.
yeah I can tell for sure I didn't have nothing like this. mine must've been a baby glitch compared to the screenshots I'm seeing here. How often does this occur? how long it last? or is all of your devices like that permanently?
Occurs anywhere from multiple times a second to once every 5 minutes.
Lasts anywhere from a couple seconds to a minute.
Goes away, but comes back.
Happens a lot while im typing.
Uploading a video in a little.

fenturi

Dec 20, 2011
I really wanted to wait for a update, but got my $ back.. all the same issues, reboots at random, screen garbled etc. While it has to be software that brought this to light, the fact that MANY are not having these issues made me think it brought out a hardware issue that was there... aka hardware rendering of 2D made the GPU work harder.

Jan 12, 2012
Don't hold your breath for OTA fix.

I just got off the phone with ASUS technical support. What a giant customer service relations blunder. They claim that the ICS update came directly and automatically from Google and that ASUS didn't push the update to their customers' TF201 tablets. Nothing could be further from the truth. To add insult to injury, the only fix that they are currently offering is to mail your tablet back to them (at your expense, not theirs) and they fill "fix" the operating system. The "fix" that they have proposed is to simply reinstall Honeycomb and ship the unit back. What an absolute joke! Frankly I spent thirty minutes on the phone with them with them continually talking in circles. They admitted that they are "working on the issue." I asked them why they don't simply issue an OTA update to fix the issue. Their reply: "that would have to come from Google."

As an aside, I have had this unit for less than 24 hours. I literally took it out of the box, set it up, and downloaded the ICS update (4.0.3).

Last edited:

newims2000

Jun 28, 2011
Looks like the theory is correct. The screen banding issues has to do with scaling factor.

Here is the fix for screen banding issue. Worked for me the last two days without a single screen banding anymore. You need to have root and SetCPU.

In setCPU, set the Scaling to performance! Voila, the screen problem disappeared. If you set at any other Scaling settings, you can see the screen banding issue instantly!!!!!

NeoteriX

Jan 28, 2008
I just got off the phone with ASUS technical support. What a giant customer service relations blunder. They claim that the ICS update came directly and automatically from Google and that ASUS didn't push the update to their customers' TF201 tablets. Nothing could be further from the truth. To add insult to injury, the only fix that they are currently offering is to mail your tablet back to them (at your expense, not theirs) and they fill "fix" the operating system. The "fix" that they have proposed is to simply reinstall Honeycomb and ship the unit back. What an absolute joke! Frankly I spent thirty minutes on the phone with them with them continually talking in circles. They admitted that they are "working on the issue." I asked them why they don't simply issue an OTA update to fix the issue. Their reply: "that would have to come from Google."

As an aside, I have had this unit for less than 24 hours. I literally took it out of the box, set it up, and downloaded the ICS update (4.0.3).
Just bc you get misinformation from ASUS CSRs doesn't mean there's no luck. Literally, the issues have just been started to be identified in the last few days; give them time -- there's no way they can know what the solution or resolution is yet.

By way of example, the HTC Evo 3D had some weird green white balance tint issue that came up in specific circumstances, and at the beginning, people were freaking out because they were just replacing them and there was no difference, and only a handful of people experienced the issue intermittently. Ultimately, it was a reproducible software issue that was later patched in an OTA.

Element_01303

Feb 9, 2010
Looks like the theory is correct. The screen banding issues has to do with scaling factor.

Here is the fix for screen banding issue. Worked for me the last two days without a single screen banding anymore. You need to have root and SetCPU.

In setCPU, set the Scaling to performance! Voila, the screen problem disappeared. If you set at any other Scaling settings, you can see the screen banding issue instantly!!!!!

Awesome that you are taking the time to look into this issue still, but with all due repect this is not a fix, but a work around... having to root the device and install a piece of software to make it work correctly is not my idea of a solution. It should work regardless of what my CPU is set to... besides with this method would you not acrifice battery life? when I have done this one my phone with set CPU it frys my battery! Just my 2 Cents, still very curious how you have had root for 2 days when the root for ICS just came out yesterday?

newims2000

Jun 28, 2011
Awesome that you are taking the time to look into this issue still, but with all due repect this is not a fix, but a work around... having to root the device and install a piece of software to make it work correctly is not my idea of a solution. It should work regardless of what my CPU is set to... besides with this method would you not acrifice battery life? when I have done this one my phone with set CPU it frys my battery! Just my 2 Cents, still very curious how you have had root for 2 days when the root for ICS just came out yesterday?

You're right. It is not a fixed, but a temp work-around until Asus provides OTA fixes. I was rooted in HC and use OTA RootKeeper to maintain root after update to ICS. It work-around worked great for me now. No more screen banding issues since.

Reactions: Element_01303

Element_01303

Feb 9, 2010
You're right. It is not a fixed, but a temp work-around until Asus provides OTA fixes. I was rooted in HC and use OTA RootKeeper to maintain root after update to ICS. It work-around worked great for me now. No more screen banding issues since.

It is a good thing to know! Try posting your fix in the other thread dealing with this issue as most users with this problem are, lets get some feedback from the community

Good Job Mate ;)

tshoulihane

Jun 16, 2010
Redmi Note 12 5G

If I'm correct, using the 'performance' governor locks CPU frequency to max (well, it does on my phone) so there will be less thread migration and clock switching going on.

My Prime is using 'interactive' I think (it's at home, some gui type of name for the governor anyway) with no issues so far.

Did anyone check dmesg or logcat when things stop working?

Jan 12, 2012
You make your own luck.

Just bc you get misinformation from ASUS CSRs doesn't mean there's no luck. Literally, the issues have just been started to be identified in the last few days; give them time -- there's no way they can know what the solution or resolution is yet.

By way of example, the HTC Evo 3D had some weird green white balance tint issue that came up in specific circumstances, and at the beginning, people were freaking out because they were just replacing them and there was no difference, and only a handful of people experienced the issue intermittently. Ultimately, it was a reproducible software issue that was later patched in an OTA.

I think that you may be missing the point here. Bottom line: ASUS first indicated that there wasn't a problem. It was only after I told them that I was familiar with the fact that others were experiencing the exact same problem that they finally relented and admitted that it was a known issue. There's no question that they will eventually figure out a solution. However, being dishonest and disingenuous with your customers is hardly an appropriate response. To that end, the idea that Google simply decides when a manufacturer's device will be updated and then forces that update on that manufacturer's customers, is simply ridiculous. Telling me and others that "we're not responsible for the update" is akin to Cadillac telling me that a defective water pump isn't their problem because a supplier made it.

With this issue coming on the heels of them removing mention of the Prime having GPS because of known issues with the aluminum case, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if they understand customer relations at all.

Own up to it. Fix the problem. Don't deny knowing anything about it and force your customers to pay to return your defective product for repairs.

4t0m1c4

Jan 22, 2012
swansea
Bump for Dev input... Anyone?

While I am a dev, I am not an android dev (yet give me some time..).

I just bought one of these, received on Monday from ebuyer in the UK. The banding problem was apparent from the start on the home screen, and any other 2d screens, but never on a game/opengl application like Google Sky Map. What is seird is that some popup windows are not affected, while the home screen in the background stays banded. That tells me it's affecting parts of the video memory or resource loading pipeline??? Could be software or hardware, but I am just guessing.

Since the update it has not got any worse, but since reading this thread over the last 10 minutes, it has become permanent, jinxed! OK it happened when I attached the keyboard dock. That is the first time I have seen it happen in front of me, without either booting up, or turning on the screen.

I have however just been been able to make it go away by turning the screen brightness down to it's lowest setting. Turning it back up doesn't make it come back immediately either. The jury is still out on whether it comes back. I will do some tests tonight.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

With all due respect, i dont care.
    I cant believe a problem like this could get past their QA team. Very dissappointing. I was convinced the wifi, BT and GPS was an honest mistake.
    But now its obvious that theyre not even trying.
    Occurs anywhere from multiple times a second to once every 5 minutes.
    Lasts anywhere from a couple seconds to a minute.
    Goes away, but comes back.
    Happens a lot while im typing.
    Uploading a video in a little.