[DISCUSSION][SOLVED] ROOTING G2 Vision T-mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ipprof

Oct 13, 2010
Reasonability is always defined by the circumstances

Whether 90-120 days or 15-30 days is reasonable is always indefinite and, in your words, something similar to an opinion. It depends upon the context. Three or four months might be reasonable for a product, say, that retains commercial value for 10 or 15 years, like an automobile. It certainly wouldn't be reasonable for a quart of milk that would spoil in that time. A cell phone lies somewhere between those two extremes. If cell phones--or more importantly, their software--lose their commercial value in 24 months (is that more or less correct?) I would suggest something closer to the shorter end of that continuum would be closer to the "correct" answer. Whether it would be worth it to litigate would depend upon whether it would have important consequences in other cases as well. It does seem that this is an invitation for abuse if the issue is never resolved.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Licensing
With the exception of brief update periods, Android has been available as open source since 21 October 2008. Google published the entire source code (including network and telephony stacks)[31] under an Apache License.[32]
With the Apache License, vendors can add proprietary extensions without submitting those back to the open source community.

That's from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

And even if it was purely GPL V2, AFAIK, if they offered to deliver the source on punch-cards sent via snail-mail, they'd be in compliance. Blame the vagueness of GPL V2.

The parts that WE ARE INTERESTED IN ARE GPLv2, specifically, any modifications to the LINUX KERNEL. There is no legal way possible in this world to relicense the linux kernel under anything LESS RESTRICTIVE (like APL, etc.). It would literally require the consent of EVERYONE owning copyright to ANY PART of the source code used. You have any idea how many people that is? Though the odd person might be ok with that, you DEFINITELY WILL NOT get everyone on board. You definitely would never be able to convince Red Hat to get on board with that one, and they own quite a lot of it.

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
this argument has been an incredible waste of bandwidth - whether 90-120 days is reasonable or unreasonable, by the time it got to court (if legal action was filed) that 120 day mark would have passed months earlier

can we get back on topic, ie thinktank ?

anyone got the latest status on where we are on rooting? - i tried to follow it on cyanogen but reading software code is like reading greek to me - ain't going to happen

tks

Disconn3ct

Nov 5, 2008
Washington, DC
andblogs.net
this argument has been an incredible waste of bandwidth - whether 90-120 days is reasonable or unreasonable, by the time it got to court (if legal action was filed) that 120 day mark would have passed months earlier
Nothing says the copyright holders will permit them to distribute the software during that time - which means they could be liable for damages amounting to the sale price of all the linux devices htc sells in that time... yeah... that bad.. (also, the sources leaked. so its a moot point now.)

anyone got the latest status on where we are on rooting? - i tried to follow it on cyanogen but reading software code is like reading greek to me - ain't going to happen

tks
Try the new thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8523533#post8523533

Disconn3ct

Nov 5, 2008
Washington, DC
andblogs.net
The sources were *released*, not leaked. HTC posted to their public website, they even updated their page at developer.htc.com, they just screwed up the link target, but someone (or google) saw through it.

They released a bad link for desire z sources. Vision has a different kernel. If you look at the leaked (well, constructed/discovered) link, you'll see it is a VISION kernel, and if you look at their site, the word 'vision' doesn't appear -anywhere-.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
They released a bad link for desire z sources. Vision has a different kernel. If you look at the leaked (well, constructed/discovered) link, you'll see it is a VISION kernel, and if you look at their site, the word 'vision' doesn't appear -anywhere-.

As I said, they simply screwed up their web page. The target of that link is OBVIOUSLY not what they intended it to be (since down a few lines on the same page is ANOTHER link to the SAME file, but with a different SIZE shown). The file is available from their website without any weird logins required. Whether the link to it is broken or not, it is still released officially from htc.

Oh, and desirez.... is a VISION. The, as you call it, "discovered" link is the correct target for what is listed as desirez.

D

diversificationied

I got my pitchfork ready! Since t-mobile is never gonna release anything ever.......

wait a second....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone considered the possibility of a system.img that's being unpacked on boot? The root filesystem on our phones is unpacked from boot.img every time the phone is booted which is why there's trouble with the SGS and people rooting it by placing the su binary in /sbin...

Back on topic, the root filesystem can be changed at runtime, but reboot, and it all goes away. That's what sounds like is going on with the G2, but I don't have one to mess with.