Thanks Meter: 9

By Louer Adun, Senior Member on 2nd August 2013, 06:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th August 2013, 03:46 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 186

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr44

If your TV has a usb port on it, you can power the Chromecast by plugging in its power cable to that usb port. When I shut off the tv, the Chromecast shuts off too. That's what I do with mine.

I have my Chromecast plugged into my AVR and it does the same. When I turn the AVR off the Chromecast also turns off.

I think the actual physical Chromecast device is just a transitional product. Future TVs and AVRs will have this software built into them.
The Following User Says Thank You to TabGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TabGuy Ad-Free

6th August 2013, 04:24 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabGuy

I have my Chromecast plugged into my AVR and it does the same. When I turn the AVR off the Chromecast also turns off.

I think the actual physical Chromecast device is just a transitional product. Future TVs and AVRs will have this software built into them.

I have my Chromecast set up this same way on my 40" TV in the living room. But in my Bedroom I have my Chromecast attached to a 28" computer monitor (so there is no remote). My only option for turning off the unit is to get out of bed and turn the monitor off directly. This previously worked just fine using my media center PC in the bedroom as the PC was smart enough to cut signal to the monitor after inactivity. Such a feature is not currently possible on the Chromecast (hence why I had requested it).
11th August 2013, 05:36 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does Google consider adding HLS support ?
Or at least provide guidelines on how to map existing M3U8 playlists that we have to DASH .MPD ?

Thanks !
12th August 2013, 10:53 PM |#14  
Flag Alabama
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier 2.0

Yes, we do.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

If you have a voice with Google or work for them...let them know that all they got to do is put that final SDK out with the quickness. With the dev community as a whole there is and will be a slew of apps that would project this $35 dollar piece of hardware to the moon. People would say Apple what? Roku what?
Just my $.02. I am sure u and/or Google knows this already though. I just can't contain my excitement knowing the potential that the chromecast has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
13th March 2017, 07:04 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
1920x1200 display scalling wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louer Adun

1080p content scaled to 1920x1200 on a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor (other devices scale properly)

Was this bug fixed? Here is another description: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2388453
13th March 2017, 07:28 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGH-i200

Was this bug fixed? Here is another description: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2388453

I am no longer using my chromecast or the display in question, however I do still have both. I will test for you shortly.

I have since moved to using Nvidia Shields for all the TVs in the house, they are quite wonderful media player devices.
13th March 2017, 07:36 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I am no longer using my chromecast or the display in question, however I do still have both. I will test for you shortly.

I have since moved to using Nvidia Shields for all the TVs in the house, they are quite wonderful media player devices.

I just plugged the Chromecast in, and it updated (had been sitting on the shelf for a while). After the update, the same problem is exhibited. I have 2 aspect ratio options in the monitor settings, "Full" and "Fit". Both provide a 16:9 1920x1080p signal stretched to the 16:10 1920x1200 resolution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Louer Adun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Louer Adun Ad-Free
13th March 2017, 08:33 PM |#18  

More
Nvidia Shield on 1920x1200 display
Quote:

I have 2 aspect ratio options in the monitor settings, "Full" and "Fit". Both provide a 16:9 1920x1080p signal stretched to the 16:10 1920x1200 resolution.

Thanks for testing this out for me! To bad Google did not fix the bug you mentioned here back in August 2013...

Quote:

Which Nvidia Shield do you use?
13th March 2017, 11:02 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Thanks for testing this out for me! To bad Google did not fix the bug you mentioned here back in August 2013...

Which Nvidia Shield do you use?

I am using an NVidia Shield 2015 and 2017 model, both 16GB. However I am not using them on the 32 inch monitor with the 16:10 aspect ratio so I can't comment on whether they would do the same thing with their signal. I actually got a new TV a month ago (Samsung 60KS8000) with 4K and HDR. Shield 2017 had 0 issues streaming a 65mbit/s bitrate HEVC/x265 movie from Plex on my local desktop, I was blown away at the quality.

The other pro to the Shield is it has Gamestream if you have an Nvidia card and a decent network. It also has a Chromecast baked in, so I didn't lose any features when I upgraded from my Chromecasts.
13th March 2017, 11:41 PM |#20  

More
Display aspect ratio options
Quote:

I have 2 aspect ratio options in the monitor settings, "Full" and "Fit".

Maybe a option to show 1:1 pixel is missing? I will see what the Chromecast 2 looks like on a 1920x1200 Display tomorrow.
14th March 2017, 12:23 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Maybe a option to show 1:1 pixel is missing? I will see what the Chromecast 2 looks like on a 1920x1200 Display tomorrow.

Yeah, that's what it seems I need is a 1:1 pixel mapping. However connected to my computer this monitor will have a letterbox when set to 1920x1080 and the expected letterboxing.

Please note I only tested this with the first gen Chromecast, so maybe this isn't an issue with the second gen units.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)