[HOWTO] Chromecast/Netflix outside USA without VPN

60 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

Post Reply Email Thread
18th September 2013, 05:34 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
It worked

Thank you for your time and help, I really appreciate it.

Sent from my GT-I9502 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

20th September 2013, 09:43 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Help
Hello,
I am trying to cast netflix but need a VPN to access netflix content. I have a DLINK 2750U router., no DD-WRT.
My Q, how do i do the first step. Input commands using CLI?
I feel this is no place for noobs, but it would be great if u could help.
Thanks
ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufree2talk

Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • Use a free VPN service like Tunnelbear on your Android/iOS device or PC/Mac to connect to Netflix and setup your account. You can use any Credit Card as long as you provide the correct name and verification code. You can use any random USA based ZIP code.
  • I went ahead and created another iptables rule to force using Unlocator's DNS for all DNS queries via my router, hence making the need for this VPN step redundant. I can now access netflix.com without any VPN connection.
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp -i br0 -d 192.168.1.1 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination [Unlocator's_DNS_IP]
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
  • Happy Netflixing!

Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to configure a router running Tomato firmware.

20th September 2013, 10:01 AM |#23  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shijuvt

Hello,
I have a DLINK 2750U router., no DD-WRT.
My Q, how do i do the first step. Input commands using CLI?

Yes exactly... the commands have to be executed using CLI... your router has an IP address... open a Telnet or SSH shell to it using any terminal emulator of your choice for eg. putty. If it doesn't work, then check from the GUI interface of your router (from a web browser) if there is any way to enable command line access, or any way to execute commands from within the GUI itself.
20th September 2013, 11:30 AM |#24  

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

Yes exactly... the commands have to be executed using CLI... your router has an IP address... open a Telnet or SSH shell to it using any terminal emulator of your choice for eg. putty. If it doesn't work, then check from the GUI interface of your router (from a web browser) if there is any way to enable command line access, or any way to execute commands from within the GUI itself.

Hi rufree2talk..
I accessed my routers setting and input the unlocator DNS, without going through a CLI and I can use Netflix now, without a VPN to view on the ipad.
However, I am still not able to cast. The cast button is available on the ipad netflix app. and the TV also switches to the Netflix screen. but thats about it.
no moving pictures!!
20th September 2013, 11:49 AM |#25  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shijuvt

However, I am still not able to cast.

That is because you haven't finished the configuration for being able to use your Chromecast. Go through the whole first post and finish all steps. Or just go to How to Setup Chromecast... you will need command line access or some place on your router's GUI to administer these commands... it is possible and it will work...
20th September 2013, 02:48 PM |#26  

More
I can confirm this works in Kuwait.
25th September 2013, 07:45 PM |#27  
Question
Quote:

Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • Use a free VPN service like Tunnelbear on your Android/iOS device or PC/Mac to connect to Netflix and setup your account. You can use any Credit Card as long as you provide the correct name and verification code. You can use any random USA based ZIP code.
  • I went ahead and created another iptables rule to force using Unlocator's DNS for all DNS queries via my router, hence making the need for this VPN step redundant. I can now access netflix.com without any VPN connection.
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp -i br0 -d 192.168.1.1 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination [Unlocator's_DNS_IP]
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
  • Happy Netflixing!

Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to configure a router running Tomato firmware.

Not sure if I am missing some thing but is it possible to use this with a D-Link 615 Current Firmware Version 8.03. I am in Germany if that makes any difference. TIA for any help or suggestions.
26th September 2013, 11:32 AM |#28  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb690

Not sure if I am missing some thing but is it possible to use this with a D-Link 615 Current Firmware Version 8.03. I am in Germany if that makes any difference. TIA for any help or suggestions.

Yes it is possible. Follow the How to Setup D-link Router and How to Setup Chromecast guides.
The Following User Says Thank You to varun.c.jain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift varun.c.jain Ad-Free
26th September 2013, 12:09 PM |#29  
Quote:

Yes it is possible. Follow the How to Setup D-link Router and How to Setup Chromecast guides.

Thanks unfortunately i am getting DNS1 address error when I attempt to save settings on my router.
26th September 2013, 12:33 PM |#30  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb690

Thanks unfortunately i am getting DNS1 address error when I attempt to save settings on my router.

Login as an admin in order to change DNS server address settings, otherwise you wouldn't be able to save. If you are using a route provided by your service provider, they might have locked down the settings, I can't say for sure.
26th September 2013, 03:01 PM |#31  
Quote:

Login as an admin in order to change DNS server address settings, otherwise you wouldn't be able to save. If you are using a route provided by your service provider, they might have locked down the settings, I can't say for sure.

Thanks I believe I am log in as Admin. Should I reset the router to factory settings?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)