Thanks Meter: 1,024

By bhiga, Recognized Contributor on 10th December 2013, 07:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th December 2013, 05:45 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 374

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Yeah, if you wanted to truly unify all the remote controls... Right now, it's just the only practical reason you'd Chromecast something from Netflix to your TV rather than using the TV's built-in Netflix.
Another possible advantage to the Chromecast route would be use of a hardware keyboard if your phone/tablet has one.
But some TVs have this already built into their remotes too.

Yup, anaglyph has existed since before I was born, and I played with 3D visualization on an SGI workstation in the very early 90's.
Remember WebTV? Hehehe... Convergence took a few rounds, but it finally arrived... sort of.
Chromecast and Second screen is the next evolution. After all, Netflix invented DIAL.
Hey, those Watchman devices might come back... I have to admit, I kind of want a Galaxy Gear even though it doesn't do video.

It is where I would like to see the Chromecast go at some point.which is why I would like them to add an IR emitter to the CC next.Cause it is almost as useful as a control device as it is a streamer.

Don't laugh...Not only do I remember WebTV I have a neighbor who still USES IT! I tried to get them to switch to a GoogleTV but they were not technically up to it! LOL

3D is great for content that is shot for it. But most content in 3D is shot in 2D and then converted via Software..No Wonder people get headaches watching it! LOL

But back on topic...
I think the chromecast is a great initial first step. If it does well (seems to be doing that) I believe future versions might add some of these features in time.

11th December 2013, 11:12 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
3d Youtube
Faq to add:
Youtube 3D support: yes

With all the fuss about 3D Netflix, I think people might not have noticed that Chromecast plays 3D Youtube videos perfectly. I can only imagine 3D Netflix will also be possible through Chromecast in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to LonelyHiker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LonelyHiker Ad-Free
12th December 2013, 01:29 PM |#13  
Flag Keokuk
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Multiple Chromcast's
I was wondering if multiple Chromcast's can be used at the same time on the same network? Only have one now but would like to use other tv's at same time. Though I would ask before buying another one.
The Following User Says Thank You to aknisley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aknisley Ad-Free
12th December 2013, 02:11 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 96

More
May I suggest some additional formatting? It might be easier to search the FAQ if the questions were listed by themselves and also below with the answers, since the list has grown quite a bit and some of the answers are necessarily a bit longer. Its a little daunting when viewing on a smaller screen.

E.g.

1. Is Chromcast cool?
2. Can Chromecast be rooted?
N. This is question N?

---
1. Is Chromecast cool? Yes.
2. Can Chromecast be rooted? Yes, but check here (post link) for bla bla..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to preusstang For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift preusstang Ad-Free
12th December 2013, 03:43 PM |#15  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknisley

I was wondering if multiple Chromcast's can be used at the same time on the same network? Only have one now but would like to use other tv's at same time. Though I would ask before buying another one.

Yes. I have two actively in use on my network. They will appear in a list by name when you hit the Cast button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preusstang

May I suggest some additional formatting? It might be easier to search the FAQ if the questions were listed by themselves and also below with the answers, since the list has grown quite a bit and some of the answers are necessarily a bit longer. Its a little daunting when viewing on a smaller screen.

I agree, it's daunting on small screen (and Tapatalk doesn't seem to 100% support nested bullet lists).

Normally I would put an index at the top but I haven't figured out how to add anchor links in posts (happy for someone to school me here...) so I wasn't sure whether it would add value or just increase the amount of scrolling needed.

Also considering collapsing the links into linked text rather than raw links which get truncated on display anyway.

EDIT: Cleaned up the links a lot. Will revisit the table of contents when I have more time.
12th December 2013, 09:25 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyHiker

Faq to add:
Youtube 3D support: yes

With all the fuss about 3D Netflix, I think people might not have noticed that Chromecast plays 3D Youtube videos perfectly. I can only imagine 3D Netflix will also be possible through Chromecast in the near future.

I do agree, but youtube 3D is based on Side By Side or OU conversion, and I think Netflix 3D is really 120 hz frame by frame 3D... so the question is, is Chromcast capable of handling 120 Hz to even start thinking on Netflix 3D ?

Thanks for this FAQ, is great to see Chromecast is starting to grow.
13th December 2013, 07:00 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
You can use realplayer cloud to cast local media instead of paying for avia. Noticed the FAQ doesn't mention it
The Following User Says Thank You to travisjustin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift travisjustin Ad-Free
14th December 2013, 08:18 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
rooted chromecast question
If you have a rooted chromecast and a un rootable chromecast is there some way to wipe the unrootable chromecast and copy a image from your rooted chromecast onto it thus rooting the unrootable chromecast.
14th December 2013, 11:16 PM |#19  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitherston

If you have a rooted chromecast and a un rootable chromecast is there some way to wipe the unrootable chromecast and copy a image from your rooted chromecast onto it thus rooting the unrootable chromecast.

Not that I know of. The bootloader is write-protected and requires a specific unlock to well, unlock.

I guess maybe if you had mad electronics skills, an EEPROM programmer, and enough time, but that seems a lot of work for a $35 device, and this is coming from someone who added an HDMI-Component converter and downscaler to get Chromecast working on a standard definition TV.
15th December 2013, 05:12 PM |#20  
Flag Euharlee
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Any idea if mirrroring will be supported ever?
15th December 2013, 08:23 PM |#21  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by New8killer

Any idea if mirrroring will be supported ever?

What's been seen from the SDK, as well as what's in the UX design guide, Yes, but only for OEM manufacturers - not for individual developers.

This makes some sense to me, as screen mirroring could be a feature that is easily used for spyware.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, faq

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)