Post Reply Email Thread
1st April 2014, 02:41 PM |#21  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budius

Although it seems to be working very reliably, the software is still a bit rough around the edges. I'll try in a future version to check for what is available, for example, if libfdk_aac is not there I can use MP3 instead.

That would be sweet.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote:

Although it seems to be working very reliably, the software is still a bit rough around the edges. I'll try in a future version to check for what is available, for example, if libfdk_aac is not there I can use MP3 instead.

wish i would get the compiled ffmpeg.exe with libfdk_acc. I do not want to install a lot of "bloatware" (if i may) to compile one exe.

Just a side note, i don't get the logic behind documenting the compile instructions and asking people to compile with fdkaac_lib but make it illegal to distribute compiled exe? Its beyond me......????

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote:

the conversion uses a two-pass method for best quality.
1st pass is only processing the video and doesn't even look at the audio. On the 2nd pass the audio is added/processed.

The video you got without audio is the result of the 1st pass, and the 2nd pass never executed because it failed.

My guess is that your compilation of FFMPEG does not have libfdk_aac (the audio library used for conversion keeping the best quality possible).
Unfortunately this library is tagged as "-non-free" so you can't just download from somewhere. It's illegal to do so. You have to follow the guide here https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide to compile the library yourself on your PC..

As I said before, I really wished it would be more user-friendly. But that's out of my control.

Probably in a future version I'll try to detect if this library is available and if it's not use the native one, that renders a not so great quality, but at least works in all cases.

Compiled ffmpeg.exe with libfdk_aac and now the conversion finished successfully and as far as PC, it has video and audio. Yuhooo!!
Will try on chromecast when i get home. Optimistic though.

One suggestion though, on your Chromecast Converter, give an option on UI to "Not delete original" file after conversion. That would be nice.
Thanks

1st April 2014, 02:52 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracha3

wish i would get the compiled ffmpeg.exe with libfdk_acc. I do not want to install a lot of "bloatware" (if i may) to compile one exe.

As a developer I don't see compilers as bloatware, but I totally understand your feeling

Quote:

Just a side note, i don't get the logic behind documenting the compile instructions and asking people to compile with fdkaac_lib but make it illegal to distribute compiled exe? Its beyond me......????

Totally beyond me too, but, if they say it's illegal I'm not getting into trouble.

Quote:

Compiled ffmpeg.exe with libfdk_aac and now the conversion finished successfully and as far as PC, it has video and audio. Yuhooo!!
Will try on chromecast when i get home. Optimistic though.

I'm sure it's all fine. There's no way it convert everything and at the end it's the wrong codec. It either fails or works.

Quote:

One suggestion though, on your Chromecast Converter, give an option on UI to "Not delete original" file after conversion. That would be nice.

For sure there's a lot of options we could include on the UI, that's the basics, and also is the main functionality I wanted for myself (I can't afford to duplicate all the videos on my terabyte drive). But I wanted to put it out for people to use and hopefully some developer with more experience in Java UI will give me a help =] That's what's open source for, right
18th April 2014, 04:03 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member

More
UP !
new version available. See 1st post for change log.
30th April 2014, 05:33 PM |#24  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 415

More
tiny tiny edit suggestion, on Linux the file is case-sensitive you've named your file ChromecastConverter.jar so command
"java -jar chromecastconverter.jar" doesn't work but "java -jar ChromecastConverter.jar" does. For any Linux newbies.
30th April 2014, 05:35 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhealy

tiny tiny edit suggestion, on Linux the file is case-sensitive you've named your file ChromecastConverter.jar so command
"java -jar chromecastconverter.jar" doesn't work but "java -jar ChromecastConverter.jar" does. For any Linux newbies.

far enough.
edited.
30th April 2014, 06:10 PM |#26  
Flag San Francisco

More
Quote:

UP !
new version available. See 1st post for change log.

Thanks for the update.

In my house I tend to watch on Android which MX Player plays everything but others prefer IOS and Chromecast which is far more picky, actually its the IOS over http of a NAS which has my greater need, and Chromecast is actually less picky than IOS.

Your tool, it now gives many more options but it isn't really explaining me what they mean, I see speed and quality and "same size". Apart from "same size" I don't know what these choices are.... short of trying each option and not having it delete the source and then making a visual check...?

1TB NAS 70% mostly of AVIs accumulated ~ 10 years, to convert.....
30th April 2014, 06:24 PM |#27  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Thanks for the update.

In my house I tend to watch on Android which MX Player plays everything but others prefer IOS and Chromecast which is far more picky, actually its the IOS over http of a NAS which has my greater need, and Chromecast is actually less picky than IOS.

Your tool, it now gives many more options but it isn't really explaining me what they mean, I see speed and quality and "same size". Apart from "same size" I don't know what these choices are.... short of trying each option and not having it delete the source and then making a visual check...?

1TB NAS 70% mostly of AVIs accumulated ~ 10 years, to convert.....

hi,

I've added a few comments on the 1st post regarding the new options. But sum up is: unless you read the FFMPEG encoding guide and have really good reason to change any of defaults, just go with Defaults that you'll always get fine quality and rare file increase.
30th April 2014, 11:45 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
sorry Budius, but i have a problem.
this is the log :

23:43:33 - Failed to get FFPROBE for /Users/Andrea/Movies/Enders Game.mkv
1st May 2014, 12:08 AM |#29  
Flag San Francisco

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda78

sorry Budius, but i have a problem.
this is the log :

23:43:33 - Failed to get FFPROBE for /Users/Andrea/Movies/Enders Game.mkv

Scroll back through the thread you often need to recompile ffprobe via ffmpeg. I had to get rid of that error.
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelhealy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nigelhealy Ad-Free
1st May 2014, 09:56 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Scroll back through the thread you often need to recompile ffprobe via ffmpeg. I had to get rid of that error.

I use mac. I dont know how to compile
2nd May 2014, 07:05 AM |#31  
Flag San Francisco

More
Bug. Possibly this is is my build of ffmpeg ? This thing been running for many hours no problems possibly I think this is first to attempt to convert a .m4v format file?

In case of a bum file, I tried making mp4 using Handbrake and it worked so its either your Jar or the ffmpeg I built.

Quote:

java -jar ChromecastConverter.jar
onStart
click_btnInputFile
click_btnGo
================================================== ================================================== =
Delete on success.
Speed: slow
Quality: normal
Settings:
================================================== ==============================
ffprobe parsing file: /media/blah-blah-blah....
ffprobe version 2.2.git Copyright (c) 2007-2014 the FFmpeg developers
built on Mar 31 2014 13:10:45 with gcc 4.6 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
configuration: --prefix=/home/nigel/ffmpeg_build --extra-cflags=-I/home/nigel/ffmpeg_build/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/nigel/ffmpeg_build/lib --bindir=/home/nigel/bin --extra-libs=-ldl --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --enable-x11grab
libavutil 52. 70.100 / 52. 70.100
libavcodec 55. 55.106 / 55. 55.106
libavformat 55. 36.100 / 55. 36.100
libavdevice 55. 11.100 / 55. 11.100
libavfilter 4. 3.100 / 4. 3.100
libswscale 2. 5.102 / 2. 5.102
libswresample 0. 18.100 / 0. 18.100
libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '/media/blah-blah-blah...':
Metadata:
title : blah
encoder : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1
creation_time : 2010-09-17 17:47:14
Duration: 00:29:39.12, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 492 kb/s
Chapter #0.0: start 0.097000, end 1779.115000
Metadata:
title : 00:00:00.097
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 688x480 [SAR 159:172 DAR 53:40], SAR 160:173 DAR 688:519, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
Stream #0:2: Subtitle: subrip (default)
Runtime execution finished with success
Runtime execution finished with success
Exception in thread "pool-2-thread-1" java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.budius.chromecast.converter.SingleConversionSe tting.getSubtitleFileName(SingleConversionSetting. java:55)
at com.budius.chromecast.converter.FFMpegBuilder.inte rnalGetSubtitle(FFMpegBuilder.java:326)
at com.budius.chromecast.converter.FFMpegBuilder.<ini t>(FFMpegBuilder.java:57)
at com.budius.chromecast.converter.FFMpeg.<init>(FFMp eg.java:18)
at com.budius.chromecast.converter.ExecutionControl.e xecuteFile(ExecutionControl.java:90)
at com.budius.chromecast.converter.ExecutionControl.r un(ExecutionControl.java:52)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker( ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)