Thanks Meter: 7,026

By biktor_gj, Senior Member on 25th February 2008, 12:37 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
6th April 2008, 12:00 AM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biktor_gj

So it dies when jumping to the first kernel instructions (wich are decompress the image onto memory and start). At first I would say you're missing some patching in some place, but not too sure anyway..

Have you tried the kernel images I uploaded in the other post here at xda-devel? do they do the same thing?

I tried all kernels/zImages in the other topic (1x Wizard, 2x yours) and all of them give me the dots on top of the screen.
When all white dots are there the first 10 or so go blue, 1 white, 10 blue, 1 white, 10 red (or green, I'm colorblind) and then it doesn't seem to do anything/seems to hang.

Quote:

The early frame buffer is an htc specific patch. The tornado patch's got it, is mentioned as EFB in the config files, and the files (efb.c, efb.h) are on \arch\arm\mach-omap1, after you've patched them all. It also has some 5x5 fonts. On the HTC Vox it doesn't seem to boot without it...

For what I've seen, is what's responsible of showing the dots on screen when it's decompressing the kernel and until it starts the vsfb module (very simple frame buffer)

I guess the Typhoon doesn't need it, something like this is never mentioned in the original patches from Vivien, and they are supposed to work
It could very well be that efb is responsible for the dots.

Quote:

So it seems like the screen dies before it's decompressing the image... interesting, did you compare your config file with the one you have at vivien?and tried to compile the 2.6.22 kernel tarball they've got there?

No, that's the biggest part of the problem. The 2.6.22-rc4 tarball seems corrupt. I already downloaded it several times, but I can't open it and it is filled with zero's

I already e-mailed Vivien about a week ago, but he didn't respond (yet).

If I can compile his 2.6.22-rc4 sources then I know for sure wether or not I am doing something wrong.

P.S. I found some info on the keyboard driver, will have to look it up.
Will post it here tomorrow.

6th April 2008, 11:48 AM |#82  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hell yeah, great idea guys!

How's the progress?
7th April 2008, 03:06 PM |#83  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
And, how's it going?
I can't wait
7th April 2008, 06:40 PM |#84  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Some more info on the keypad driver from the original author of the Tornado patches (Nico)
http://linux.omap.com/pipermail/linu...ly/007547.html

Basic points:
- Some keys will output a change in more than 1 row/column
- Some keys are directly connected to GPIOs
- compiling tornado-keypad with DEBUG option might show more info?

I found some more as well, will post it later.
7th April 2008, 09:56 PM |#85  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7,026

Donate to Me
More
Hi,

About your kernel, try if this makes something else, its a modified version of the kernel Im building now. Just to see if it makes something else
http://rapidshare.com/files/105674634/zImage.html
About the keyboard thing, I know wich GPIOs correspond to wich keyboard key, the problem is when the kernel runs this:

(on the file /drivers/input/omap-keypad.c)
[...]
if (gpio_monitor_called)
{input_report_key(omap_kp_data->input, key & ~GROUP_MASK, 1);
input_report_key(omap_kp_data->input, key & ~GROUP_MASK, 0);}
[...]
The kernel panics. I've tried 4 or 5 different ways of approach but I'm not making it work...

I've done a modified version from the omap-keypad driver (called it vonix-keypad) where I have removed everything except what the omap730 needs, and put a timer for reading the gpios. I get the keys on my functions, but I can't make them connect with the rest of the kernel module. I think I have to learn a little bit more about the kernel modules, but don't find howtos for those sort of things...
5th June 2008, 11:39 PM |#86  

More
Very excited.
I dont see allot of ppl posting here, but i`m sure once you get the basics going, the other developers will jump on the wagon.

Just keep at it guys, even if it is a slow steady pace.

Just to confirm, you're not using google code but sf's wiki, yeah?
15th June 2008, 01:42 PM |#87  

More
Is anyone progressing? Or is this project dead?
16th June 2008, 03:47 AM |#88  
Flag JakARTa
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardDWorld

Is anyone progressing? Or is this project dead?

read all pages carefully dude
21st January 2009, 08:53 PM |#89  
Flag L'viv
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Hi there,

Few weeks ago I bought htc s710 and basically I'm satisfied, but generally one thing is not acceptable for me. Namely, ten years ago I quit with windows and use only linux at home and mostly in work. I looked through this forum and was positively impressed that someone has success in booting linux kernel on htc vox. I tried several kernels from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=372164 , but still don't know what versions are good, what versions are bad and what versions are under further development. Also I found on the forum some vague instruction how to compile linux kernel. Nowadays it is 2009, and the last kernel version is 2.6.28 (and 2.6.29 rc). Does anybody try to apply omap patches (are they actually necessary)? I also took a look on wiki page on htc vox linux and didn't see much information except link to this thread here.

It would be very useful to post any new info on vox linux development somewhere. The best place, IMHO, is wiki page or the first post in this thread, and paste there links to the last files together with some description. It is really not so easy to find useful info and files from hundreds of messages...

biktor_gj, can you write a couple of words about kernel you use (and also links to these files) and in what stage is your work?
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread