Allwinner Livesuit Hacking Tools [ROM maker/editor]

Search This thread

cybermate123

Mar 9, 2013
Kolkata
Hi all, I have made been using these tools to modify and customize livesuit images to suit my needs, now I have packed all of them for u to get ur workstations to get ur hands dirty with some ROM editing/making. before u jump right in I must say though allwinner devices are not brickable, but still u may get ur warrenty void,get ur data wiped or miss a trip with ur mama or gf, and for all those reasons Ill not be held liable.

Now, my toolset includes the following - A ROM backup utility that backs up ur BOOT,BOOTLOADER,SYSTEM n RECOVERY, this will be ur starting point if u dont have any stock image.

A blank livesuit image with fake bootloader,boot,system n recovery fex files. which u will have to fill in with ur own stock roms, after u take backup. (if u dont have a stock ROM already.)

Linux tools to help u edit script.bin files and image tools to split boot images, pack or unpack system.fex etc.

The image packing/unpacking program.

#### GUIDE ####

Now we have our tools, get started....
To make stock image :
1. Get ur fimware dumped using the backup tool.
2. On a linux pc use the tools in the tools.tar.gz archive to make the dumped system file into a system.fex file by doing the follwing :
Make a directory called system.
Unpack the whole system.tgz file which u got from the dump tool inside it.
run a shell, inside the shell run the make_ext4fs binary and give these arguments [make_ext4fs -s -l 500M -a system {location of the system directory} <filename.fex>] u will get a system.fex file as output.
3. Now copy the boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img (rename the .img extension to .fex) and the system.fex u made inside the blank livesuit image and replace the nessecary files. And also replace files in the _iso folders. here ull hav to add .iso at the for filename. its pretty simple, just see how the blank files are kept.
4. Now u can pack the whole directory using the image_repacker program. Fire up runner.bat and put the directory make_stock.img.dump in it. It will generate a stock image of ur tablet. back it up as it will save u from many blunders in future.

Now if u want to modify any other livesuit image what will u do:

Just unpack the tool using the image_repacker program. run the runner.bat file, put the .img file on it(drag n drop) and use the /skip parameter in the options and let it do its work. u will get lots of files. now in a linux machine u can use the simg2img binary to make the system.fex file to a mountable image by using [simg2img <system.fex system.img>]
now mount it...make a directory called system, type these commands in the shell , [sudo mount -o loop system.img system ] this will mount the system.img inside the folder. now to make life simpler type [sudo nautilus] (on ubuntu) n start the file manager with super user access. n navigate to the system folder. now u can change files,delete unwanted stuff etc. after ur done with it pack the system directory using the make_ext4fs binary,type [ make_ext4fs -s -l 500M -a system {location of the system directory} <filename.fex> ] u will get ur system.fex file which u can pack in a livesuit image and flash.

Allwinner tools2.rar
http://www.4shared.com/rar/S3cbf46k/Allwinner_tools2.html

Last edited:

cybermate123

Mar 9, 2013
Kolkata
Editing bootloader scripts

Well, we have the freedom to try images of diffrent vendors to see what works and what doesnt, but some times the display resolution makes a problem, and theres alot of associated problems too. heres how u can edit the bootloader scripts.

I personally would say u download magicISO, and open the bootloader.fex with it, n copy the script.bin n script0.bin from ur backed up stock bootloader n then flash.

but otherwise u can do this via adb too.
run adb shell
type mkdir sdcard/bootloader
type mount -t vfat dev/block/nanda mnt/sdcard/bootloader
then goto sdcard/bootloader to see if it has actually mounted or not.
then with adb push script0.bin n script.bin to mnt/sdcard/bootloader.
then in adb shell type umount bootloader n then reboot.

If u want to mannually edit the bin files use the tools inside sunxi-tools-static.tar.bz2. the bin2fex will decode the bin n make a readable fex file which u can edit, and then use the fex2bin to make it back to bin. commands are [ bin2fex script.bin script.fex] and same goes for [ fex2bin script.fex script.bin]

cybermate123

Mar 9, 2013
Kolkata
SDcard Problems...

U must backup ur sdcard data... and after u flash a custom image if u dont see ur internal sd mounting the use following commands...
[ busybox mkfs.vfat dev/block/nand(x) ] here the x refers to the last nand partition that u can check by typing [cd dev/block] and then type [ls]
then type [vold] and u will see ur internal sd.
p.s I had uploaded the toolset but i dont seem to understand the upload system of xda, each time i close the window of attachments,my file is gone. so Im uploading it in 4shared. wait...ill link it.

I have no credits except that I collected and archived these tools. All these tools are made by their original programmers who have given us enough freedom to ruin :) our devices. So the credit goes to them.

Happy Hacking!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: orsonbear

cybermate123

Mar 9, 2013
Kolkata
OMG!!! Why??? Im running my stock,its working...

alright, following all instructions, I got a img made for my current setup, I flashed with LiveSuit to test if the img worked to get back to original...now im stuck at the android loading screen...any ideas?

hey,did u unpack the system.tgz in linux or in windows? Aftr getting the rom backup copy the system.tgz file to linux. Unpack it there. Else ull broke symlinks as windows FAT n NTFS file system can contain symbolic links. U pls calm dwn n do the following, extract the system.tgz,make the system.fex n use the blank image i gave. Use ur own boot n bootloader. Replace files in ISO folder too n pack. N flash it.. It will work. I hav tested alot of roms. If u keep the whole system.tgz intact and dnt change anything ull get a working image. Im using mine. Still u try with a cool head n know each tool well 1st. Thn try again. If u hav a backup dnt wrry,u will b able to build ur image. Tell me if it works or not.ok.

cybermate123

Mar 9, 2013
Kolkata
Oops!!! Ya I made a typo on the make_ext4fs part.

Shouldn't it be [make_ext4fs -s -l 500M -a system <filename.fex> {location of the system directory}]?

Ya I made a typo on the make_ext4fs part. Yup file name should come first. Then directory containing system files. If all else fails u can upload ur backup (boot,bootloader,system) n ill hav a go at it.

hey,did u unpack the system.tgz in linux or in windows? Aftr getting the rom backup copy the system.tgz file to linux. Unpack it there. Else ull broke symlinks as windows FAT n NTFS file system can contain symbolic links. U pls calm dwn n do the following, extract the system.tgz,make the system.fex n use the blank image i gave. Use ur own boot n bootloader. Replace files in ISO folder too n pack. N flash it.. It will work. I hav tested alot of roms. If u keep the whole system.tgz intact and dnt change anything ull get a working image. Im using mine. Still u try with a cool head n know each tool well 1st. Thn try again. If u hav a backup dnt wrry,u will b able to build ur image. Tell me if it works or not.ok.

99% sure I extracted in windows! Didn't even cross my mind about symlinks! I'll make a new img then, but just for archival purposes at this point...

EDIT: Again, I'm gonna continue a bit more, but at my thread, as I don't want yours to get garbaged up with my specific posts that are not 100% on topic to your thread...

EDIT 2: and nvm, I've been up late, and looking at my linux machine...I definitely extracted my system in linux, not windows...but again, doesn't really matter moving forward...

Last edited:

gmaxjp

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for providing very nice tool suite. I've just started to find decompile/compile tool for fex file. Fortunately soon your tool was found in XDA and I could start modding bootloader in order to solve hsync area problem on my device!!:)

Sent from my ATB701A using xda app-developers app

cybermate123

Mar 9, 2013
Kolkata
There must be something wrong going on, Ive tested my tools again...

99% sure I extracted in windows! Didn't even cross my mind about symlinks! I'll make a new img then, but just for archival purposes at this point...

EDIT: Again, I'm gonna continue a bit more, but at my thread, as I don't want yours to get garbaged up with my specific posts that are not 100% on topic to your thread...

EDIT 2: and nvm, I've been up late, and looking at my linux machine...I definitely extracted my system in linux, not windows...but again, doesn't really matter moving forward...

Im nt able to understand what might have gone wrong. As I hav unpacked ROMs of LY-F1,Eken T01,My stock ROM,an Sanei A90 ROM,Digma ID7 etc. I only got bootloop while making a livesuit image out of a Cyanogen mod build. But that was all about symlinks. I hav a doubt though I tested everything still I say u take a look at the blank livesuit image I provided, If its the problem( mines 7inch tab n that blank img is my base) u dwnload a img file which nearly matches urs n rip it apart,change n push ur things in n pack. Dnt wrry ur tabs nt bricked. And u can post here, it will nt trash my thread. Giv a logcat if u can. Ok.

Im nt able to understand what might have gone wrong. As I hav unpacked ROMs of LY-F1,Eken T01,My stock ROM,an Sanei A90 ROM,Digma ID7 etc. I only got bootloop while making a livesuit image out of a Cyanogen mod build. But that was all about symlinks. I hav a doubt though I tested everything still I say u take a look at the blank livesuit image I provided, If its the problem( mines 7inch tab n that blank img is my base) u dwnload a img file which nearly matches urs n rip it apart,change n push ur things in n pack. Dnt wrry ur tabs nt bricked. And u can post here, it will nt trash my thread. Giv a logcat if u can. Ok.

I have already been flashing other images, and I am not concerned about bricking it anymore (now that I understand FEL and LiveSuit). I've already moved passed getting this working and am not working on getting CM10 working with compatibility packs...as I have no idea which to use for my tablet.

EDIT: I mean, should I just make my own compatibility pack? If so, I wouldn't know where to begin with what files out of my old system partition I'd need are...or even if they were jb compatible (coming from ics)
EDIT 2: Its a BRONCHO A710 according to the build.prop if that will help
EDIT 3: Which I've found is a clone of LY-F1, so I'll try messing with installing CM10 with that compatibility pack...although it appears many have had issues with it...which apparently I am having too, as its hanging on booting CM...
EDIT 4: I updated my thread with my absolute current situation and made 3 posts in other threads...

Also, to clarify, I'm not getting booting problems after I flash my created image, I'm getting Android loading problems...it passes the boot screen and enters the 2nd loading screen just fine, but it sits at the 2nd loading screen (3rd different screen visible during boot) forever.

Last edited:

lolet

Feb 26, 2011
Size of the system partition should never be set as fixed 500 mb, it should be taken from sys_partition.fex or sysconfig.fex (depends of AW chip) * blocksize. Setting wrong size can cause image corruption and partition will be always mounted as read only.

cybermate123

Mar 9, 2013
Kolkata
Yup. Sysconfig file should also be set properly.

I have already been flashing other images, and I am not concerned about bricking it anymore (now that I understand FEL and LiveSuit). I've already moved passed getting this working and am not working on getting CM10 working with compatibility packs...as I have no idea which to use for my tablet.

EDIT: I mean, should I just make my own compatibility pack? If so, I wouldn't know where to begin with what files out of my old system partition I'd need are...or even if they were jb compatible (coming from ics)
EDIT 2: Its a BRONCHO A710 according to the build.prop if that will help
EDIT 3: Which I've found is a clone of LY-F1, so I'll try messing with installing CM10 with that compatibility pack...although it appears many have had issues with it...which apparently I am having too, as its hanging on booting CM...
EDIT 4: I updated my thread with my absolute current situation and made 3 posts in other threads...

Also, to clarify, I'm not getting booting problems after I flash my created image, I'm getting Android loading problems...it passes the boot screen and enters the 2nd loading screen just fine, but it sits at the 2nd loading screen (3rd different screen visible during boot) forever.

yup sysconfig files should be set properly n u should see logcat. If ur file system is read only it will nt let u run anything n say sh permission denied. If thats the prob thn its error wit livsuit or system img making. As Ive seen sum roms use a bootloader script o make some symlinks n set permissions. I think ur bootloader is also doing same but as ur using the ROM frm ur tablet the flag fr da script is already present so its nt making the changes. Thus in someplace its stuck. A logcat would hav really given clr indications.

Axims

Feb 21, 2012
this is the files i get at first satge aka dumping :
2mi59hj.jpg

It's an Allwiner A20 tablet and I just want to have a backup img nothing more.
is there an easier way to do this?
I can install lnux inside vbox and go for step two but
what about " putting .iso files in _iso folder? where are they? I don't have any .iso files in dump folder.

paclook

Jul 28, 2013
sr i hope u can help please

hi bro i have my dump rom but i need make a .img file to take my own stock rom cause my divice es too strange and i have no way to take my stock rom. my tab is now in some rom but dint work anythink just boot and thats it.

can use my dump to make me a img file to flash with live suit? i realy dont know linux i use windows.

maher13

Sep 22, 2013
Hi all, I have made been using these tools to modify and customize livesuit images to suit my needs, now I have packed all of them for u to get ur workstations to get ur hands dirty with some ROM editing/making. before u jump right in I must say though allwinner devices are not brickable, but still u may get ur warrenty void,get ur data wiped or miss a trip with ur mama or gf, and for all those reasons Ill not be held liable.

Now, my toolset includes the following - A ROM backup utility that backs up ur BOOT,BOOTLOADER,SYSTEM n RECOVERY, this will be ur starting point if u dont have any stock image.

A blank livesuit image with fake bootloader,boot,system n recovery fex files. which u will have to fill in with ur own stock roms, after u take backup. (if u dont have a stock ROM already.)

Linux tools to help u edit script.bin files and image tools to split boot images, pack or unpack system.fex etc.

#### GUIDE ####

To make stock image :
2. On a linux pc use the tools in the tools.tar.gz archive to make the dumped system file into a system.fex file by doing the follwing :
run a shell, inside the shell run the make_ext4fs binary and give these arguments [make_ext4fs -s -l 500M -a system {location of the system directory} <filename.fex>] u will get a system.fex file as output.
3. Now copy the boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img (rename the .img extension to .fex) and the system.fex u made inside the blank livesuit image and replace the nessecary files. And also replace files in the _iso folders. here ull hav to add .iso at the for filename. its pretty simple, just see how the blank files are kept.
4. Now u can pack the whole directory using the image_repacker program. Fire up runner.bat and put the directory make_stock.img.dump in it. It will generate a stock image of ur tablet. back it up as it will save u from many blunders in future.

Just unpack the tool using the image_repacker program. run the runner.bat file, put the .img file on it(drag n drop) and use the /skip parameter in the options and let it do its work. u will get lots of files. now in a linux machine u can use the simg2img binary to make the system.fex file to a mountable image by using [simg2img <system.fex system.img>]
now mount it...make a directory called system, type these commands in the shell , [sudo mount -o loop system.img system ] this will mount the system.img inside the folder. now to make life simpler type [sudo nautilus] (on ubuntu) n start the file manager with super user access. n navigate to the system folder. now u can change files,delete unwanted stuff etc. after ur done with it pack the system directory using the make_ext4fs binary,type [ make_ext4fs -s -l 500M -a system {location of the system directory} <filename.fex> ] u will get ur system.fex file which u can pack in a livesuit image and flash.

Allwinner tools2.rar

ok but can i use it in win7 it very helpfull and i wnna it so

hari_mkb

Jun 24, 2009
need livesuit image file for ice x treme tab

Hi Bro,

Please share me link of any working JB livesuit Roms for ice extreme tablet ,

my tablet specs here : http://www.icexelectronics.com/shop/ice-xtreme/

Bro , if u have the same tablet with u , plz plz help me by making a livesuit image of yours...

currently , my tablet hangs around the boot logo .... cant get in to recovery either...

Please do help me...

Thanks
Hari

#### GUIDE ####

To make stock image :

Allwinner tools2.rar

mbmb65

Aug 18, 2012
Help wit custom ROM AMPE A96

I have an original ROM for my tablet (download here w-w-w.szampe.com/en/support_down.asp?id=1205 or here w-w-w.szampe.com/UploadFile/file/2011-08/0317.rar

Can you help me creating a custom ROM with CMW recovery and a current android OS?

:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

#### GUIDE ####

To make stock image :

Allwinner tools2.rar
    Hi! Can you please reupload the tools? The link seems to be dead
    Editing bootloader scripts

Well, we have the freedom to try images of diffrent vendors to see what works and what doesnt, but some times the display resolution makes a problem, and theres alot of associated problems too. heres how u can edit the bootloader scripts.

I personally would say u download magicISO, and open the bootloader.fex with it, n copy the script.bin n script0.bin from ur backed up stock bootloader n then flash.

but otherwise u can do this via adb too.
    run adb shell
    type mkdir sdcard/bootloader
    type mount -t vfat dev/block/nanda mnt/sdcard/bootloader
    then goto sdcard/bootloader to see if it has actually mounted or not.
    then with adb push script0.bin n script.bin to mnt/sdcard/bootloader.
    then in adb shell type umount bootloader n then reboot.

If u want to mannually edit the bin files use the tools inside sunxi-tools-static.tar.bz2. the bin2fex will decode the bin n make a readable fex file which u can edit, and then use the fex2bin to make it back to bin. commands are [ bin2fex script.bin script.fex] and same goes for [ fex2bin script.fex script.bin]
    SDcard Problems...

U must backup ur sdcard data... and after u flash a custom image if u dont see ur internal sd mounting the use following commands...
    [ busybox mkfs.vfat dev/block/nand(x) ] here the x refers to the last nand partition that u can check by typing [cd dev/block] and then type [ls]
    then type [vold] and u will see ur internal sd.
    p.s I had uploaded the toolset but i dont seem to understand the upload system of xda, each time i close the window of attachments,my file is gone. so Im uploading it in 4shared. wait...ill link it.

I have no credits except that I collected and archived these tools. All these tools are made by their original programmers who have given us enough freedom to ruin :) our devices. So the credit goes to them.

Happy Hacking!!!!
    run a shell, inside the shell run the make_ext4fs binary and give these arguments [make_ext4fs -s -l 500M -a system {location of the system directory} <filename.fex>]

Shouldn't it be [make_ext4fs -s -l 500M -a system <filename.fex> {location of the system directory}]?