[Q][Solved]My Nexus 7 is very slow to charge

Search This thread

emanlee

Mar 10, 2014
hard choice

lucky for you. i was hesitant at first so i did that. but to no avail. i was suspecting it, so i had to really open it up. but nonetheless, this solution proved to be a hardware issue. not kitkat as people had been saying.

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
Mine is a device.
Took it to RMA, but they only replaced the battery. Would be suspicious if I took it back after a week...
Is also scratched, so no way of selling it (for a good price anyways).

Anyone know a way to melt this thing without looking too suspicious?

Fastboot erase bootloader let them try to diagnose that:D

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Reactions: someone755

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Erase the bootloader? That's possible?

Though, is there not a way to reflash the bootloader? I'm sure those idiots would find a way to somehow bring my old tablet back. :I

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
Yea you can restore the bootloader with a blob.bin backup that is unique to each device without a premade backup its the one command that will irrevocably brick a nexus

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

daniel199751

Nov 12, 2013
spooky issue

Hey..i know its a bit late to reply on this topic but I ran into an issue recently .. I left my nexus 7 to charge last night while it was turned off .. When I left it to charge it had about less the 20% battery left .. So I wokle up today and all of a sudden my nexus doesn't want to turn on .. So I plugged in the charger and started charging it again , it was showing the filong battery animation , so I left it to charge in a thought that something spooky must have happened because no way the battery drained .. I did not touch it for the whole night .. It was charging that's it .. Anyways .. After about 45 minutes I was able to tiurn on my device and when it finally booted up it had 31% battery .. I was like 0_0 I mean I left it to charge for the whole night .. Damn.. I do have warranty on it but before I go and give it away so they will fix it .. I koinda want to know ewhat the hell is wrong .. After all I do have to explain to them ..
Its an nexus 7 2012 with 3G (but no Sim ATM) with android 4.4.2 stock , rooted .. My kernel is Franco kernel the latest version .. If someone would be able to help me to figure out what the hell is happening I would be very great full
Sincerely Daniel

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
1. something's wrong with those chargers. Afaik, every phone's charger output should be 5V (correct me if I'm wrong here)
2. This is the N7 section.

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
Wrong section for Samsung but be careful with that charger I had a charger that suddenly put out 15v it fried my n7 and I needed a new motherboard, USB port and battery.

KnightStar

Apr 11, 2010
So I've had this issue ever since I accidentally dropped my tablet from the nightstand with the wall charger still plugged in. It fell and landed at a weird angle that may have distorted the port. It no longer charges through the wall but still does through USB. While that takes forever, why does it still charge through USB? I can use the very same cable and use a USB wall adapter and it doesn't charge.

KnightStar

Apr 11, 2010
Well, I was just hoping someone would at least have some insight into the whole charges only through a computer and not a wall charger. All I can really say that for $200, I shouldn't expect a mighty durable tablet. It just occurred to me as odd.

maxthebuilder

Sep 14, 2010
Wow!
Very strange. My charger was plugged in for weeks in the same socket and suddenly the Nexus stopped charging. I reversed the plug and it started to charge!
Android tuner reported 0uA battery flow before - now it's 2600uA!
Reversed it back - still good! Less flow, 1500uA but still..
Reversed again.. Now its -2uA!!!!
Clearly, it's Android thing.
Thanks!
max

I have a little insight to share on this topic that might apply to some of you.

I bought mine back in december from costco and had no issues up until last night.

Up until then it had been sitting on its official charging dock by asus underneath my TV plugged to a big UPS along with my TV and amp.
Last night I decided to move it into my bedroom cause I wanted to start using it as a clock and to listen to music or podcasts before sleeping and to wake me up. Even before I got the dock the OEM charger was always done within 2.5 hours at most from a very low state like under 10% cause I was using the hell out of it back then.

I had to do 2 things in order for this to be practical for me.

1. The damn usb cable they give you is so short you couldn't hang a mouse with it so I changed it for one twice as long.

2. I plugged the OEM charger and dock to a APC Surge Arrest, Not a piece of crap power bar (or so I thought).

And here is what happened.
I went to bed with the battery at about 22% and when I woke 8 hours later the battery had only managed to get up to 57% which is unacceptable.

I then did 1 thing I unplugged it from the APC Surge Arrest (POS power bar that I might soon throw in the trash!) and straight to a wall outlet. I did not shut it off simply put it on sleep/standby instead of letting it be daydream clock.

Then I came here and read this thread, I at first had the suspicion that maybe it was the USB cable I switched but after reading somebody's comment about polarity I thought perhaps I was a tired last night and plugged it in the wrong way. It's pretty easy to do that actually and its still a possibility that it was plugged to the APC the wrong way.

After reading all the comments here and getting a coffee, Which maybe took me 10-15 minutes at most I went back to check on it.
At this point it was already at 60%. Then instead of putting it to sleep I just let it as I normally would on Daydream clock and by the time I finished typing this message it was at 65%. This fast charge is normal for the dock.

So problem is solved here it was the power brick that it was plugged to or possibly the polarity. I am going to know today if that is the case because I have a Nexus 10 charger that I also plugged into that same power bar last night so next time it needs a recharge I will keep an eye on its progress. If the Nexus 10 charges up fine then either the ASUS charger does not like the APC Surge Arrest or it was plugged the wrong way or the outlet on the APC that I used was bad or something and if its the latter that thing is still going into the trash.

For those plugged with the charger straight to the wall I would recommend the following.

A. Make sure its plugged in the right way or just reverse however its plugged in now.

B. Try another outlet and if that's also slow maybe have them tested with a tester or looked at by a electrician.

But if you are plugging them into some kind of power bar / surge protector then do try them directly to the wall and see if that helps.

90% of the homes I had lived in have had crap power installations, Way too many outlets on the same breaker or missing grounds so on which is why I always end up redoing them or installing separate outlets on their own breakers for my gear like my PC's and TV's.

Just my 2 cents. I went from terrible charging rates like those describes 3% per hour up to how it should be so hope this helps some of you.

Having to RMA my n7 would have been a real bummer. Especially if it would have been for nothing.

To add one last thing to my long winded post. Don't even bother trying to charge it via any kind of USB port on your computer its so slow you might as well have it on a hamster wheel with a dynamo. You really do need a real charger or the wait is unbearable.

Last edited:

jfmcbrayer

May 9, 2011
So I've had this issue ever since I accidentally dropped my tablet from the nightstand with the wall charger still plugged in. It fell and landed at a weird angle that may have distorted the port. It no longer charges through the wall but still does through USB. While that takes forever, why does it still charge through USB? I can use the very same cable and use a USB wall adapter and it doesn't charge.

I suspect your wall charger may have fried. Have you tried it with multiple chargers to see?

kkh5

May 25, 2014
I am now experiencing this problem, anybody had any success with a complete restore from factory images? Just wanted to know before I start the whole process.

Thanks,
kkh5

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
The issue is very rarely a software bug.
Make a backup and try a factory restore, at least you'll find out whether it's a software or hardware issue (that said, if the issue repeats/persists, it's obviously a hardware one).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved! (at least for me)

I suspected this was hardware for a while since this issue would happen no matter what ROM was on there and no matter how many times I did a factory reset. Knowing that I'm just out of warranty and that Asus would probably charge me a hefty fee for fix it, I figured I had nothing to lose. Read my own thread on the issue to see what troubleshooting steps I had already tried here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2390222

Anyway, I took the back off and then removed the battery (the connection was fine btw). I removed the three screws that held the speakers in place. Then, suspecting that the small connections might need to be rewet, I plugged in my soldering iron and rewet the following areas in black (image borrowed from iAppleDev as I forgot to take my own) :

For insurance, I also folded up a small piece of paper and placed it where the blue box is. Screwing the speakers back in place held the paper in place and held the ribbon cable retainer clip against the connectors, giving a stronger connection.

I turned off my Nexus 7 with a 9% battery and then when to take care of other things. Came back in an hour or so (probably less) and I see that the battery is already at 33%! This is with the Asus charger plugged in, which wasn't working at all previously.

Very stoked. Kinda bummed I didn't figure this out before a conference I had to go to last week. Would have been nice to read on my Nexus 7 instead of my phone.
    I have a little insight to share on this topic that might apply to some of you.

I bought mine back in december from costco and had no issues up until last night.

Up until then it had been sitting on its official charging dock by asus underneath my TV plugged to a big UPS along with my TV and amp.
    Last night I decided to move it into my bedroom cause I wanted to start using it as a clock and to listen to music or podcasts before sleeping and to wake me up. Even before I got the dock the OEM charger was always done within 2.5 hours at most from a very low state like under 10% cause I was using the hell out of it back then.

I had to do 2 things in order for this to be practical for me.

1. The damn usb cable they give you is so short you couldn't hang a mouse with it so I changed it for one twice as long.

2. I plugged the OEM charger and dock to a APC Surge Arrest, Not a piece of crap power bar (or so I thought).

And here is what happened.
    I went to bed with the battery at about 22% and when I woke 8 hours later the battery had only managed to get up to 57% which is unacceptable.

I then did 1 thing I unplugged it from the APC Surge Arrest (POS power bar that I might soon throw in the trash!) and straight to a wall outlet. I did not shut it off simply put it on sleep/standby instead of letting it be daydream clock.

Then I came here and read this thread, I at first had the suspicion that maybe it was the USB cable I switched but after reading somebody's comment about polarity I thought perhaps I was a tired last night and plugged it in the wrong way. It's pretty easy to do that actually and its still a possibility that it was plugged to the APC the wrong way.

After reading all the comments here and getting a coffee, Which maybe took me 10-15 minutes at most I went back to check on it.
    At this point it was already at 60%. Then instead of putting it to sleep I just let it as I normally would on Daydream clock and by the time I finished typing this message it was at 65%. This fast charge is normal for the dock.

So problem is solved here it was the power brick that it was plugged to or possibly the polarity. I am going to know today if that is the case because I have a Nexus 10 charger that I also plugged into that same power bar last night so next time it needs a recharge I will keep an eye on its progress. If the Nexus 10 charges up fine then either the ASUS charger does not like the APC Surge Arrest or it was plugged the wrong way or the outlet on the APC that I used was bad or something and if its the latter that thing is still going into the trash.

For those plugged with the charger straight to the wall I would recommend the following.

A. Make sure its plugged in the right way or just reverse however its plugged in now.

B. Try another outlet and if that's also slow maybe have them tested with a tester or looked at by a electrician.

But if you are plugging them into some kind of power bar / surge protector then do try them directly to the wall and see if that helps.

90% of the homes I had lived in have had crap power installations, Way too many outlets on the same breaker or missing grounds so on which is why I always end up redoing them or installing separate outlets on their own breakers for my gear like my PC's and TV's.

Just my 2 cents. I went from terrible charging rates like those describes 3% per hour up to how it should be so hope this helps some of you.

Having to RMA my n7 would have been a real bummer. Especially if it would have been for nothing.

To add one last thing to my long winded post. Don't even bother trying to charge it via any kind of USB port on your computer its so slow you might as well have it on a hamster wheel with a dynamo. You really do need a real charger or the wait is unbearable.
    Guys.... i have a friend from asus who told me that if you have slow charging problem you gotta do this.

use the stock asus usb cable
    plug it in to your computer and make sure it's charging via USB, then just wait for 3 minutes then
    unplug it, charge/plug it in via AC using stock asus 2A charger. then wait for atleast 5-8 mins
    then check it if it's starts to charge quickly. =)

Hit thanks if it's working.
    Much as I love my Apple products the way the company chooses to ignore existing standards and invent their own is frustrating. Relating to this thread this has lead to 2 standards for power supplies (chargers): the Apple standard and the USB standard defined in the USB 2 (and later) specifications. Originally the Nexus 7 used the USB spec of shorted data wires to decide if it should attempt to draw more than the spec 500ma a USB device is allowed to draw when connected to a computer. As of the update to Android 4.2 Google added smarts to the charging code in an effort to get the tablet to draw high power charging current from a charger using either standard. I'm convinced that this results in the tablet getting confused and chooses to only draw current at the lower 500ma rate. Perhaps the brand of cable results in electrical noise on the data lines which fools the tablet into thinking that there's a data connection. Regardless of what happens, plugging it into your computer will make a real data connection. Then moving to the charger will make a charge style connection and since it happens immediately after a real data connection the tablet has no problem deciding to shift to a high power current draw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
    guys i made a video on how to fix slow charging issue of your Nexus 7. i hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFcfirYvuA