[APP] BLN control - the official BLN settings app by neldar

Search This thread

onesun43

Sep 1, 2010
Kansas City
If you have low-level control over the soft-key backlights, would it be possible to change their behavior of automatically turning off after 2 seconds. I would like for them to stay on for as long as the screen is on. Having the option to just turn the backlight off altogether would be nice too. I'll donate if there's any chance of this happening.

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I'm sure neldar said; when he first started BLN, not Flashing/Blinking would not be possible WITHOUT a LOT of work and coding...

...So... it COULD be done, right neldar? :rolleyes: :D
Ya, i said that it is not impossible, but effort/cost and use are not in any good relation. beside that the chance is very high (>30%) that the touchkeys controller of your phone is not compatible with the modified touchkey controller firmware.

And i discussed that with somebody (professional) who could modify the touchkey firmwares, but only for i9000.
And he said, it may cost somebody to employ him for this more than 10k euros, and additionally 2 or more phones for tests. i could do that too, but i know hundred things to be more important than this feature. ;)

If you have low-level control over the soft-key backlights, would it be possible to change their behavior of automatically turning off after 2 seconds. I would like for them to stay on for as long as the screen is on. Having the option to just turn the backlight off altogether would be nice too. I'll donate if there's any chance of this happening.

With little hackery in the touchkey driver that is possible, but the keys then wont turn off once they are enabled and the screen is on.

I use Doc's Rom JPO v7.6.2 and it's not compatible with BLN app v0.6.6. Any advice?

Doc's kernel is the universal-lagfix kernel. Reboot into cwm recovery find the "BLN options" menu and turn bln on.
If 0.6.6 still says not compatible, then DOC is using the old (and deprecated) sysfs of bln - use the v0.5 of this app.

BronzedDroid

Jul 22, 2010
More specific info on the Doc Froyo ROM issue.

It uses, by default, hardcore's speedmod kernel, which in turn is indeed based on the universal lagfix kernel.

When trying to use the v0.6.6 application, it says that I have the most recent kernel, but outdated BLN liblights.

Edit: Tested not with the "default" version of hardcore's speedmod kernel, but rather with the latest K1. I suppose it's the same with I1 and I1_1

Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
More specific info on the Doc Froyo ROM issue.

It uses, by default, hardcore's speedmod kernel, which in turn is indeed based on the universal lagfix kernel.

When trying to use the v0.6.6 application, it says that I have the most recent kernel, but outdated BLN liblights.

Edit: Tested not with the "default" version of hardcore's speedmod kernel, but rather with the latest K1. I suppose it's the same with I1 and I1_1

I think hardcore included the new liblights, but he forgot to add the script for copying the new liblights, or:
He wants you to manually enable the new liblights.
I think he suggest to boot into cwm recovery and to select turn bln off and then on again in "bln options" menu.

Last edited:

BronzedDroid

Jul 22, 2010
I think hardcore included the new liblights, but he forgot to add the script for copying the new liblights, or:
He wants you to manually enable the new liblights.
I think he suggest to boot into cwm recovery and to select turn bln off and then on again in "bln options" menu.
Yes, this worked. I was actively following his thread and this popped up after I asked you (I'm pretty sure). Thanks for your time, good sir.

Spc_xsat

Nov 18, 2007
Hello,

Ideally it would be able to turn it off every night at a certain time and wake in the morning automatically to another time.

++

brunes

Dec 9, 2006
Integration with Tasker

Neldar - have you considered integration with tasker/ The API is pretty simple

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/developers.html

If you exposed BLN ON / BLN OFF via Tasker API, then you would not have to invest time in schedules, events, etc. to enable and disable it since Tasker already has all those functions.

Basically I already have a tasker task for "overnight" that changes some settings and would liek to enable / disable BLN as well. I could do it via a plugin script to Tasker but having the nice "plugin" integration is nice.

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
Hey thanks for making this! I just donated to you. The feature that I would like to see (and I'm sure many others who haven't read this thread) is the ability to shut off the BLN's while you're on a call (to get rid of the buzzing noise they make). I figure this is why you have the prox sensor mentioned. Not sure if Prox sensor is the best way to go because the Buzzing happens on Speakerphone too. Perhaps you can find a way to disable BLN's while on a call, via sensing if the phone app is in foreground? Something like that? :shrugs: I'm no dev.

Thanks in advance.

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Neldar - have you considered integration with tasker/ The API is pretty simple

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/developers.html

If you exposed BLN ON / BLN OFF via Tasker API, then you would not have to invest time in schedules, events, etc. to enable and disable it since Tasker already has all those functions.

Basically I already have a tasker task for "overnight" that changes some settings and would liek to enable / disable BLN as well. I could do it via a plugin script to Tasker but having the nice "plugin" integration is nice.

I will have a look at the tasker plugin api.

Hey thanks for making this! I just donated to you. The feature that I would like to see (and I'm sure many others who haven't read this thread) is the ability to shut off the BLN's while you're on a call (to get rid of the buzzing noise they make). I figure this is why you have the prox sensor mentioned. Not sure if Prox sensor is the best way to go because the Buzzing happens on Speakerphone too. Perhaps you can find a way to disable BLN's while on a call, via sensing if the phone app is in foreground? Something like that? :shrugs: I'm no dev.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the donation. :)
I will also take look at that issue.

woeds

Aug 13, 2008
Leiden
neldar, have you made any progress on the scheduler? I saw in the latest app that it's still to be implemented.

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
neldar, have you made any progress on the scheduler? I saw in the latest app that it's still to be implemented.

Is still in development. ;)

You may have noticed, that the name of this app has changed from "BLN settings app" to "BLN control - Free" (and Pro).

And secondly you may have received an update notice from the app.
That update notification will point you to the market. There you can get the latest Free release.

And there are now two versions:
* Free: enables/disables the BLN function and can test BLN, but nothing else
* Pro: under further development, this version will incorporate all the features listed in OP (and costs 0,5 € ~ 0,7 $ - a fair tribute for my work)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app does only work, if you have a kernel with BacklightNotification (bln) mod on your phone installed.

Go and get BLN for Samsung i9000 Eclair, Froyo or Gingerbread or any other kernel/rom with BacklightNotification support.
    Or visit this page to view a list with supported phones by BLN.

What is the BLN mod?
    The BLN mod turns the touchkey backlights into a notification led.
    It enables the notification led api for any android application that supports notifications by led.
    If you dont have the BLN mod installed, the app provides you instructions how to install the BLN mod.

What does this app?
    This application gives you control over the BacklightNotification (bln) mod settings on your phone.

What features does the Free version have?
    • enable/disable BacklightNotification function (without uninstalling bln)
    • test BacklightNotification
    • update notification (notifies you about new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)

Additional features in the Pro version:
    • widget
    • scheduler (disable BLN at night, ...)
    • locale plug-in(s) for: bln status, blinking, scheduler, static led, notification led
    • adjustable timeout of static led notification
    • blinking**:
      • adjustable on/off led period
      • adjustable overall blinking duration (5-60 minutes or unlimited)
      • select led status after blinking ends(on/off)
      • stop blinking if battery is below a selectable % level
    • adds led notifications for:
      • missed calls

** Please notice that blinking consumes more energy than static backlight!

Download the app from market:
    Free | Pro
    attachment.php

The price for the Pro version is 0.99€ (~ 1.99 US$).
    The Pro version is available at the android market (creditcard) and at androidpit (paypal, clickandbuy).

If you find an issue, please report it here in the thread.

Which features will be added to future Pro versions?
    • suggest me a feature

What permissions are used for which features?
    • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: to activate BLN at boot and start the services
    • INTERNET: for update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases - you can disable the notification in the update settings) and for the compatibility check (the app receive instructions for you, if the app detects that something is wrong with the BLN setup)
    • READ_PHONE_STATE: to detect if an incoming call could become a missed call
    • WAKE_LOCK: services & schedule (reactivating interrupted led notifications, froyo only)

Translations already done:
    • Dutch
    • French
    • German
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Russian
    • Spanish
    • Swedish

The initial translations into Dutch, French, Russian and Spanish have been realized at crowdin.net with the help of adequacy, andifds, elroy911, HERVEG, HTCDevil, Jaax, jbnitro, ravexx, Rebel2k and Shaymelmed. Thank you.
    The translations into Japanese, Korean and Swedish have been realized at icanlocalize.com.

Translations pending:
    • Chinese (Simplified) - suspended, no sufficient Chinese market service
    • Chinese (Traditional) - see above
    • Czech
    • Italian
    • Polish

Kernel-devs / rom cookers: Please do only integrate the FREE version of this app into your releases.
    BLN pro will work for JVP version (gingerbread 2.3.4 ) ? :confused:

For all having trouble with JVP, i compiled a patched services.jar. It contains both liblights and services.jar, to have BLN working with any kernel supporting it on JVP. To be installed from CWM recovery.

Tried on Juwe's 5.0 working with stock sms, calls, mail, etc.

Hope it helps!

Thanks to neldar for his great job.
    Thanks to Virnik for his update package & script.
    FAQ:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • touchwiz sms: notification is only possible if you use another sms app (e.g. Go SMS) or if you use a patched sms app or a patched services.jar
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

The led notification is enabled in app xyz, but it still dont work, why?
    This only a problem of Android >= 2.3. Led notifications in Android >= 2.3 do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen becomes powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones. This behavior is a design decision of the asop team and they think this is not important enough to be mentioned in the Android SDK documentation. The BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale/tasker plug-in & test notification. Any other apps may have also a option to disable the screen before these apps try to trigger led notifications (e.g. Go SMS).

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Measurements were made on a i9000 (eclair) with enabled flight mode.

The sgs2 does currently (6th august 2011) rely on a kernel wakelock, that does affect the battery more than on other phones.
    This is an exception from the general bln behavior and may hopefully change in future.

How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is only possible on some phones, most hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off. Maybe I add these capability in the future.

The blinking or the missed call notification of the pro app are not reliably working, what is wrong?
    The lowmemorykiller of your phone is configured with too aggressive settings, thereby the app services are killed and not restarted.
    Either you use less aggressive settings or you have to live with the fact that your settings make things unreliable.
    Btw, it is better to have less free ram in android. A lot of free ram on a android device indicates that it is inefficiently working.
    Just wonderign, is there going to be support for normal notifcations, like third party apps etc

No, if you are wondering about the reason, then you might want to understand the functional principle of bln by looking at the following "art":

|android application| --> |notification service| --> |bln liblights| --> |bln driver| --> |touchkey leds|

legend:
    --> : x calls y (unidirectional)
    android application: any android application
    notification service: public api, part of the Android SDK
    liblights: conjunction between the android OS and the Linux kernel
    bln driver: provides interface to control the touchkey led hardware
    touchkey leds: light emitting diodes behind the touchkeys...

The bln mod (blue parts) just adds the (modified) liblights and the bln driver in that chain, these components are missing in the original stock ROM from Samsung.
    Any android application that should trigger the leds just have to implement the call (the red arrow) of the functions of the notification service .

And the gentle reader may now notice that the control app is missing in that flowchart. Well, the control app consists of 2 parts, one part actually accesses the bln driver to adjust some settings. The second part detects missed calls and acts like any other android application to issue a (hidden) notification with the led flag.

PS: The flowchart includes only the necessary components and conjunctions between the application and the leds. There are a few more components involved, but you don't need to know them all.
    On the AT&T GS2, I am getting constant wakelocks for wlProximityEvents, and I do not even have the new Proximity feature enabled.

I just unplugged the charger 5 minutes ago, I have no notifications, and it's been in constant wakelock since then. (See the screen shot).

Since the last update, my battery life has been very bad and deep sleep has gone down significantly.

UPDATE: Attached is my wakelocks.txt file.

Thank you for the informations about the wakelock, these infos helped me to resolve the problem.
    An update is now available at the market. I want to apologize to those who may have had problems because of this issue.