Vim for liberated WinRT

Search This thread

malxau

Jan 19, 2013
(Disclaimer: noob.) As with previous poster, I can't post attachments in the right place, so apologies to people who don't want to read about WinRT ports.

This is vim 7.3. I included in the zip a diff against the 7.3 source tree for anyone wanting to build themselves. These binaries were built with "OPTIMIZE=SPACE" and the patch uses a CRT DLL so the binaries are much smaller than the x86 versions.

For those wishing to run the binary:
1. unzip somewhere
2. unzip /pub/vim/pc/vim73rt.zip from ftp.vim.org into the same location (couldn't include these due to attachment size limits, and can't link due to being a noob)
3. [UPDATED] Remove vim\vim73\libintl.dll. This is included in the vim73rt.zip file, is not compiled for ARM, and is not part of the vim source distribution.
4. run vim\vim73\install.exe. This is a console app that will allow you to configure install locations and settings.

No known bugs, but no extensive testing either :) Credit to all vim authors, bugs are my fault.

Attachments

• vim73arm_binonly.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,992
Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
UPDATE: Runs well, except every time it tries to start, it complains (multiple times) about vim\vim73\libintl.dll being "not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error."

Assuming it's not just an unpacker problem, this may be something that should be addressed. However, the programs (vim, gvim, install.exe, etc.) run fine anyhow. I just renaked that file to libintl.dll.bad and now everything runs without the warnings.

malxau

Jan 19, 2013
UPDATE: Runs well, except every time it tries to start, it complains (multiple times) about vim\vim73\libintl.dll being "not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error."

Yes, when I prepared the full .zip I deleted this, forgot to include that in the instructions. It's an x86 DLL included in the vim73rt.zip that doesn't seem essential. The applications don't link to it explicitly.

bfosterjr

Jan 13, 2013
This is fantastic! I was looking at tackling vim but hadn't gotten to it yet... Thanks!

TimothyJB

Apr 6, 2014
Thanks for your work on this, working great for me.

A couple of quick notes. Is it possible to update vim to 7.4 on my surface or will trying this break it? Or any chance for an updated version to be compiled for Windows RT?

Also I can open the standard vim (not gvim) from the icon on the start screen, but the vim command does not work in the run menu or the command prompt, is this a limitation or a bug?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (Disclaimer: noob.) As with previous poster, I can't post attachments in the right place, so apologies to people who don't want to read about WinRT ports.

This is vim 7.3. I included in the zip a diff against the 7.3 source tree for anyone wanting to build themselves. These binaries were built with "OPTIMIZE=SPACE" and the patch uses a CRT DLL so the binaries are much smaller than the x86 versions.

For those wishing to run the binary:
    1. unzip somewhere
    2. unzip /pub/vim/pc/vim73rt.zip from ftp.vim.org into the same location (couldn't include these due to attachment size limits, and can't link due to being a noob)
    3. [UPDATED] Remove vim\vim73\libintl.dll. This is included in the vim73rt.zip file, is not compiled for ARM, and is not part of the vim source distribution.
    4. run vim\vim73\install.exe. This is a console app that will allow you to configure install locations and settings.

No known bugs, but no extensive testing either :) Credit to all vim authors, bugs are my fault.