FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM-DEV] 04/16/10 | Back from the dead | Coming soon

1,325 posts
Thanks Meter: 693
 
By flipzmode, Retired Recognized Developer on 2nd December 2009, 12:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd December 2009, 02:58 AM |#21  
WhiteWidows's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 204
 
More
I can confirm that the phone is working..Making and Receiving.
 
 
2nd December 2009, 03:04 AM |#22  
toastcfh's Avatar
Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Lakeland, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,895
 
Donate to Me
More
the problem is the build thinks this is a gsm phone. its asking for the sim, giving errors about the sim not alowed to use the network and so on. we may get wifi out of this but its still made for gsm notcdma. its prolly something in the build prop or even the kernel thats causing this
2nd December 2009, 03:38 AM |#23  
flipzmode's Avatar
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 693
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastcfh

the problem is the build thinks this is a gsm phone. its asking for the sim, giving errors about the sim not alowed to use the network and so on. we may get wifi out of this but its still made for gsm notcdma. its prolly something in the build prop or even the kernel thats causing this

Yea I'm certain that it's in the kernel, which HTC has made the GSM kernel open source but I believe that Sprint is in control of whether or not they will release the CDMA kernel. As you said I'm confident we could get wifi working but I'm not sure about the rest.

Although it's interesting that calls work... I didn't even try. But I don't know if it's in the kernel for sure or not. I'll start looking in to it tomorrow.
2nd December 2009, 03:52 AM |#24  
WhiteWidows's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 204
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipzmode

Yea I'm certain that it's in the kernel, which HTC has made the GSM kernel open source but I believe that Sprint is in control of whether or not they will release the CDMA kernel. As you said I'm confident we could get wifi working but I'm not sure about the rest.

Although it's interesting that calls work... I didn't even try. But I don't know if it's in the kernel for sure or not. I'll start looking in to it tomorrow.

Looks like he got WiFi working......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERak0Co3MK0

***EDIT***

Thats a GSM Hero
2nd December 2009, 03:54 AM |#25  
toastcfh's Avatar
Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Lakeland, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,895
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipzmode

Yea I'm certain that it's in the kernel, which HTC has made the GSM kernel open source but I believe that Sprint is in control of whether or not they will release the CDMA kernel. As you said I'm confident we could get wifi working but I'm not sure about the rest.

Although it's interesting that calls work... I didn't even try. But I don't know if it's in the kernel for sure or not. I'll start looking in to it tomorrow.

its the "sim, apn. and gsm" part of the build. im not sure if the kernel or what can change that. all the roms we have are based off the orig. cdma heroc rom. this is a gsm base rom. i think wifi is as far as we will get. unless the kernel tells the os to not worry about a sim or apn settings. which im doubting it does,but it could be possible. its good to see that mostly everything works. except wifi,data,and gsensor ofcourse. thanx again to u good job.

oh yeah... did u just hack up there boot.img and plug our kernel into it? is that all it took to get it to work? what didi u do if more?
2nd December 2009, 03:55 AM |#26  
5tr4t4's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipzmode

Yea I'm certain that it's in the kernel, which HTC has made the GSM kernel open source but I believe that Sprint is in control of whether or not they will release the CDMA kernel. As you said I'm confident we could get wifi working but I'm not sure about the rest.

Forgive my grumpiness...I'm not responding to you specifically but to the overall way that open source is being handled on Android of late.

The kernel is Linux and therefore open source. HTC and Sprint have no say in the matter. They are both REQUIRED by the GPL to release their source code. This post illustrates my sentiment exactly:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=36
2nd December 2009, 03:59 AM |#27  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I believe to get wifi working all you have to do is replace the wlan.ko file from our 1.5 build. I have my wifi working, but I did that as well as a few other files at the same time. I am in the process of verifying that is all that needed to be done.
2nd December 2009, 04:01 AM |#28  
N0J's Avatar
Senior Member
Tx
Thanks Meter: 185
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipzmode

Yea I'm certain that it's in the kernel, which HTC has made the GSM kernel open source but I believe that Sprint is in control of whether or not they will release the CDMA kernel. As you said I'm confident we could get wifi working but I'm not sure about the rest.

Although it's interesting that calls work... I didn't even try. But I don't know if it's in the kernel for sure or not. I'll start looking in to it tomorrow.

Any way we can get the power control widget and add it to a Fresh build?
btw - after entering adb shell, I was able to make a call
2nd December 2009, 04:06 AM |#29  
flipzmode's Avatar
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 693
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrvic

I believe to get wifi working all you have to do is replace the wlan.ko file from our 1.5 build. I have my wifi working, but I did that as well as a few other files at the same time. I am in the process of verifying that is all that needed to be done.

Yup, I figured it would be nothing more than the driver. Cool.
2nd December 2009, 04:26 AM |#30  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tr4t4

Forgive my grumpiness...I'm not responding to you specifically but to the overall way that open source is being handled on Android of late.

The kernel is Linux and therefore open source. HTC and Sprint have no say in the matter. They are both REQUIRED by the GPL to release their source code. This post illustrates my sentiment exactly:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=36

Just messing around, I emailed HTC asking about the kernel, and I just now got this in response:

"It is up to the carrier to decide which HTC phones will be upgraded. If the carrier does not request an update we can not offer one. However, if the carrier does request an update it will be posted at www.htc.com and the carriers website. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeframe when an update will be available."
2nd December 2009, 04:44 AM |#31  
flipzmode's Avatar
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 693
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorsecond

Just messing around, I emailed HTC asking about the kernel, and I just now got this in response:

"It is up to the carrier to decide which HTC phones will be upgraded. If the carrier does not request an update we can not offer one. However, if the carrier does request an update it will be posted at www.htc.com and the carriers website. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeframe when an update will be available."

Yup yup. Nothing we can do about that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes