[MOD] FFC for the Vibrant development

Search This thread

aloxotls

Nov 23, 2009
Tomball, TX
I have an extra ffc camera that I will ship to anyone that has a I9000 and willing to swap the camera and see if they get the same bands. I posted the offer on the I9000 forum but I have not had anyone take me up on my offer. :(
(I will be surprised if anyone will)

Silrocco

May 25, 2010
Corona, CA
All it is, is the kernel being uv enough to run the ffc but not enough to make it perfect. I have gone through everything, from epic cam files to i9000 cam files there the same as the vibrant.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

I've moved files around too, I'm with you on that. Hopefully over clocking a kernel will resolve this banding. But, that way I order a new FFC flex board from a different vendor to help eliminate factors.

Silrocco

May 25, 2010
Corona, CA
I have an extra ffc camera that I will ship to anyone that has a I9000 and willing to swap the camera and see if they get the same bands. I posted the offer on the I9000 forum but I have not had anyone take me up on my offer. :(
(I will be surprised if anyone will)

Great idea...hoping somebody from the I9000 board takes you up on it.

I have a cousin that has an epic, do think they have the same FFC?

yincrash

Mar 30, 2010
if he is willing to open it up, just ask him what it says on the flex band itself. the ones from global parts direct (and i think also from the hk ebay seller) say m110s v0.2

KellyLewis3985

Jul 28, 2010
Lake Charles, LA
The problem with kk kernel, its not undervolted enough. I believe that Jacs kernel is undervolted around the 53 to 55hz range we need 50hz. Im talking to Jac to see if we can get it.

aloxotls

Nov 23, 2009
Tomball, TX
I loaded the JAC's kernel-vibrant-SCv9-NG and the FFC worked. I found it on my hard drive and it has been a while but I do not think it was undervolted.

bullale

Jul 19, 2010
Small hardware difference

I'm about to leave my desktop and I don't have the patience to swype all the info so I'll make it quick.

I tested which pins were grounded on the different camera modules and came up with some differences.
There are 34 pins.
On the phone, 2,11,13,32,34 are grounded.
On the i9000 module, 2,11,13,32,34 are grounded.
On the vibrant module, 13, 27, 32, 34; and 2 and 11 are shorted.

Since 2,11 are grounded on the phone itself, I don't think it matters that they aren't grounded on the module. I am guessing that these are part of the FFC.

The interesting difference is that pin 27 is grounded on the vibrant module but not on the i9000. I have to open up my phone again tomorrow to remove a piece of gunk that i let between the lens and the glass. I also have an extra i9000 module that I scratched the **** out of its lens. I will see if I can ground pin 27 and I'll see what it does.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Interesting developments here. I have an ffc on the way and a good kernel build environment. Let me know if you guys need me to help try kernel hacks. I can't test cam stuff without the hardware, but I might be able to help with the kernel while I wait. My kernel runs at stock voltages and clock by default, but that can be changed..

KellyLewis3985

Jul 28, 2010
Lake Charles, LA
Interesting developments here. I have an ffc on the way and a good kernel build environment. Let me know if you guys need me to help try kernel hacks. I can't test cam stuff without the hardware, but I might be able to help with the kernel while I wait. My kernel runs at stock voltages and clock by default, but that can be changed..

Can you decompile Jacs and see what he has that can be changed to work.

bullale

Jul 19, 2010
Thank you for sharing. How are you counting the left to right? If it works take a good pic so we can see what to do.

The triangle is pin 1 then I zig zag across. I might have time later tomorrow afternoon but unless I can find a trace for that extra pin it's going to be a very difficult solder job.

yincrash

Mar 30, 2010
I'm about to leave my desktop and I don't have the patience to swype all the info so I'll make it quick.

I tested which pins were grounded on the different camera modules and came up with some differences.
There are 34 pins.
On the phone, 2,11,13,32,34 are grounded.
On the i9000 module, 2,11,13,32,34 are grounded.
On the vibrant module, 13, 27, 32, 34; and 2 and 11 are shorted.

Since 2,11 are grounded on the phone itself, I don't think it matters that they aren't grounded on the module. I am guessing that these are part of the FFC.

The interesting difference is that pin 27 is grounded on the vibrant module but not on the i9000. I have to open up my phone again tomorrow to remove a piece of gunk that i let between the lens and the glass. I also have an extra i9000 module that I scratched the **** out of its lens. I will see if I can ground pin 27 and I'll see what it does.

if pin 2 and 11 are grounded on the phone, they will automatically be shorted when you connect the module.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MODDING THE SAMSUNG VIBRANT TO HAVE A FRONT FACING CAMERA (FFC)

DISCLAIMER: It is NOT my fault if this Breaks your Device, or if you screw it up trying to do it. blah blah you know the drill. XDA is also not responsible. This WILL void your warranty. Luckily it is easy to do.

***THIS IS ONLY FOR THE VIBRANT***
    Other phones are slightly different inside

Required:
    -Compatible rom (Bionix fusion or eugene's froyo or any rom that the dev specifically says ffc compatiable)
    -JAC's OC/UV Kernel. Stock kernel will not work, period. Voodoo should also work KK's kernel also does not work.
    -An FFC, of course (see below for where to get it)

HOW TO DO IT:
    1. Open your phone
    2. Remove the 7 screws or so
    3. Remove the internal battery cover.
    4. Remove your Vibrant camera... it is snapped in under the cam chip.
    5. Using Goof OFF! or denatured alcohol or something similar, dip a q-tip in the chemical, and slightly dab the whole where it is to go.
    6. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes, and repeat (or if you are anxious, don't wait...)
    7. Using something plastic for the safety of the digitizer glass, and scrape out the gunk.
    8. Now, definitely let everything dry before putting your phone back together, and MOST definitely before you put the battery in and turn it on. Give it 20-30 minutes to be safe... depends on the chemical used.

I used a flat head screw driver, which is metal, but if you choose this USE EXTREME CAUTION!!

For more info, go to my thread in the General section as I may have missed something/got something wrong in this post. It has been a while since I first did this mod...

Useful tidbits:
    If you get force closes when trying to use a the cam, then you did not read instructions. Use the proper kernel.

Banding is present in low light conditions. This looks to be a software issue. Popular belief is that the phone is powering both cameras at the same time when either is called, and is basically confusing itself. This is a work in progress.

Software that is known to work is Fring, various lame mirror apps, etc. Android video calling is only available in Froyo, but I have not tested it recently since Eugene's R3, so I cannot confirm that it working ATM. Tango may also work.

Attached the mach.aries file for those of you that wanna chip in and do some digging. Looks like most of the things we need are in there. Attached a .rar and a .zip file... for some reason I had both? It's been a loooong couple weeks.

Epic camera: thanks to KellyLewis3985 for the dl.
    http://db.tt/0DEkw9X

How to Flash:

1. Download the ZIP and put it on the root of your INTERNAL SD Card.

2. Open ROM Manager and boot into ClockWorkMod (DO NOT use Stock Recovery) or boot into recovery the manual way.

3. Navigate down to "apply sdcard: select zip" and locate the .zip file in your internal SD card. Push the power button, navigate down to "YES" and push the power button once more.

4. Let it do its thing, and reboot. First boot *may* take an extra second... Play with new cam app.

To get a cam:

Just got some more cams ordered... should have them by the weekend, so any orders now will start shipping 11/8 in the order they are received.

Go here: http://bit.ly/8ZEPW4
    So i've been using the axura rom which had a camera app that supported ffc and recently switched to Loki and bionix-v to change things up but can't install the i9000 camera. I looked for the i9000 cam zip but only found the apk so after using some generic app installer it just says app was not installed. Is there something i'm doing wrong? how are you guys getting the apks working? i can't download the epic cam either, the links in this post lead me to an error page. am i just a dumb noob?

Try this FFC Mod. Just flash via CWM. Hope this can help you.:DView attachment FFC_Mod.zip
    I personally am still working on a cam app that shuts down the cam that is not in use. This is the problem the ffc is always on causing a lack of power to the rear cam.

Ok im in the testing process of 2.2 kernels. We can make the banding worse, I know for a fact it can be fixed will just take some time. Please be as patient as possible.

Ok everyone I have a good friend building kernels with higher voltage. My app failed, it would shut both cams off indicating that the power from the rear cam is also the power to the ffc with no way to bypass the ffc for a fix. Hopefully we will have this fixed soon.