HTC One X Tips and Tricks

Search This thread

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
HTC One X tips and tricks

As the title says you folks can share HTC One X tips and tricks here. I'm sure lot of the users will find them helpful. I'm new to HTC so I would also use some tips and tricks.

Take Screenshot without third party app

Power Button + Vol down

Stimulate Battery Removal

Press and Hold Power Button for 10 seconds

To disable a System app

Go to settings> apps > all tab > Select the app you want and click on Disable. Just like Titanium back.

To Disable Automatic Shortcut After installing an App

Go to Play Store > Click on Menu and click on Settings > Uncheck "Auto-add Widgets"

Create Folder Automatically in Launcher

Drag an icon and try to drop it to an existing icon on Launcher menu it automatically creates a folder.

Proper Reboot

In settings, power, Fast boot - when checked you are only doing a hot boot when you select Restart in power menu, uncheck it and you have the normal reboot(preferred). (Rycon33)

Move Cursor

To move the cursor left or right while typing, you can press the volume up / down to move it. ( keeenif )

HTC swype keyboard

Go to settings, keyboard. Then HTC input and enable the trace feature. It's replaced swype for me now (hetalmp)

Fix Laggy sense 4.0

• settings
  • development section
  • Don't keep activities
  • It is unticked by default. Tick it (I went on recent apps to make sure it would be saved, then back) and untick it again. Seems to be a fault in the indication of the settings (131313) More Info
Limit your data or set a data limit warning

Settings > (Wireless & Network) More > Usage

(puffingbear, 420kushking)

HTC keyboard Tip

In HTC keyboard, swipe left to change to number/symbol layout, swipe right to change to different language keyboard. (stm2008)

Phonebook scroll

scroll in phonebook with two fingers will move the list alphabetially. (stm2008)

Remove black tab with 3 dots (Only on Latest firmware)

Settings > Display & Gesture (For root users on 1.29 or below use this MOD)

Browser history/bookmark screen

In stock browser, long press the back button can bring up the browser history/bookmark screen (stm2008)

Scroll through music quickly

To scroll through your music quickly you can use 2 finger scroll. Does it in contacts too (technostein)
Bluetooth Pictures

when bt handset is connected open camera and press button on handset and camera will take an picture. like remote for camera ( carlowise)

Stock browser Fullscreen

In the stock browser, get rid of the annoying bar that appears at the bottom of the page every time you scroll down by enabling quick controls.

Got to: Settings --> Labs --> Quick Controls.(apwb)

Last edited:

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
Other Tips:

Improve overall scrolling experience by using SuperCharger script by zeppelinrox the guide specific for One X created by hamdir

Battery performance will only improve after 2 or 3 battery cycles. i.e. After flashing the ROM or Kernel wait for 2 or 3 days to comment on battery performance. BTW clearing batterystat.bin does nothing
according to engineers at Google.

After flashing a new Kernel remember to wipe the cache not sure exactly why but it was told by kernel developers

Access the Secret Power Saver settings by the tip knightrocker in this thread

To make the developers life easier when you reporting an error, bug on the ROM be sure to include the logcat (for ROM related), kmsg (Kernel related)

HTC One X Speaker Output

Remove limiter for louder sound and less compressed sound. Also disable Trubass effect which boosts 400hz for a cleaner sound with less mids:
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1750369

Last edited:

420kushking

Feb 13, 2012
Long Beach
Screen shot is power button and home button, not vol down button.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

You are right on that one. The correct sequence is to hold the power button, then press the home button.

Some other tricks that made my user experience better were:

Limit your data or set a data limit warning. Great feature. It only monitors data over the mobile network, however you can show the wifi data as well if you wish. Some ROMS have had this in the past, however it was sometimes unreliable.This is a built in sense 4.0 feature and works great.

Disable "Auto Review" in camera settings>continuous shooting mode. This will give you the best burst shooting experience and you will be able to easily switch to different camera modes, without the annoying best shot feature popping up. Also disable Limit to 20 frames to get up to 99 continuous photos.

Go to settings>more>nfc Enable nfc and scan your smart credit cards or any nfc tag, or nfc enabled phone.

If you use face unlock, go to settings>security>screen lock>face unlock>improve face matching. It drastically improves the time it takes for your phone to recognize your face.

Try out the friendstream lockscreen. Its pretty cool, some people may hate it, others may love it.

Hope this helps :cool:

Rycon33

Apr 28, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
In settings, power, Fast boot - when checked you are only doing a hot boot when you select Restart in power menu, uncheck it and you have the normal reboot(preferred).

And btw, both methods mentioned above posts on screenshot works.

Sent either from my Arc or One X using xda premium

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED

Power Button and Volume down works as well it a ICS Tweak works on most of the ICS Models. Just tested it. Hold your power button + Volume down for around 3 seconds it will take a screenshot :)

hetalmp

Sep 11, 2008
For the HTC swype keyboard which is swype on a much bigger keyboard.

Go to settings, keyboard. Then HTC input and enable the trace feature. It's replaced swype for me now.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

flightposite

Jun 13, 2010
There are total of seven screen to attach apps or widgets. In case you use only 5, you can remove the unused screens.

Press the unused screen, there will be an option there.

Jan 24, 2012
Zürich
Stop sense 4.0 from craxhing

If you worry about the laggy sense 4.0:

settings
development section
Don't keep activities
It is unticked by default. Tick it (I went on recent apps to make sure it would be saved, then back) and untick it again. Seems to be a fault in the indication of the settings, because only now I got my phons as fast as expected.:p
Made my laggy sense go away and the fun has really started for me now.
After a total power off it is still working fine.

otarinz

Apr 6, 2012
Great Hints! Just one question:

Go to settings>more>nfc Enable nfc and scan your smart credit cards or any nfc tag, or nfc enabled phone.

I'm very interested in NFC payment, and I have a smart card. When I enable NFC and place the card on the phone, I get a beep. But it doesn't look like anything's happened. I'm pretty dubious about downloading an app from the market which scans my card. Is there a real world use for this yet? Or an official, trustworthy app?

DroidRap

Jul 11, 2008
Columbus
If you worry about the laggy sense 4.0:

settings
development section
Don't keep activities
It is unticked by default. Tick it (I went on recent apps to make sure it would be saved, then back) and untick it again. Seems to be a fault in the indication of the settings, because only now I got my phons as fast as expected.:p
Made my laggy sense go away and the fun has really started for me now.
After a total power off it is still working fine.

Sorry but you sound little confusing. Do you mean that option should be ticked and then unticked again and this will remove laggy sense?.

jires

Dec 27, 2008
Hedehusene
Power Button and Volume down works as well it a ICS Tweak works on most of the ICS Models. Just tested it. Hold your power button + Volume down for around 3 seconds it will take a screenshot :)

The both ways are right. Power button + Volume down 2sec. is the "pure" feature of ICS, screenshots are saved in /sccard/pictures/screenshots.Power button and then home button (keep holding power button) is the HTC Sense feature, images are saved in /sdcard/dcim. That is the different.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
Great Hints! Just one question:

I'm very interested in NFC payment, and I have a smart card. When I enable NFC and place the card on the phone, I get a beep. But it doesn't look like anything's happened. I'm pretty dubious about downloading an app from the market which scans my card. Is there a real world use for this yet? Or an official, trustworthy app?

I would like to know that as well.

Dave©

Oct 19, 2007
London
Anyone know where notification tones are saved? I would like to copy my fav tones...

Just got my new HOX. Thanks for the great tips!

Top Liked Posts