Edge lighting and lock screen notifications

Search This thread

Opman711

Jan 3, 2011
I've tried everything on my Sprint variant S8 and the edge lighting notification will not work when the screen is off. Yes I have all notifications set to yes with edge lighting set to When Screen Is Off and I even reset my phone entirely with no luck. All I get when I receive a text is the notification sound with the flashing LED. I also tried Screen Always On and still no edge lighting. Is anyone else having this problem? Also, the lock screen doesn't come on for a few seconds showing the notification say like it would on the iPhone. Anyone with the same issues or resolutions please help !?!?

Opman711

Jan 3, 2011
I'm using the default Samsung messaging app. It is check marked in the Edge Lighting notification apps

merlin66676

Jul 16, 2010
I thought the same. I can see it very quickly with Samsung messaging, but vzw message+ I can't see it

Apr 23, 2017
Edge lighting works when the screen is on but nothing when it's off

Ive noticed the same thing. It was troubling at first, but with a little fiddling around I seemed to have found the fix or problem. The screen on in pocket sensitivity is the part that's preventing the screen to turn on while in the pocket...this also includes the edge lighting when the screen is off. So the fix is here (for me at least)...

Settings---Display---*scroll to bottom*--- Keep Screen Turned off---Uncheck

Hope that helps some of you. Made an account just for this comment since it's impossible to find the answer so far.

Opman711

Jan 3, 2011
Thanks helpneeded... tried your suggestion but still no edge lighting when the screen is off :(

richierich118

Jul 9, 2009
I believe edge lighting only works when the phone screen is facing down . When you put your phone on the table put the screen down and see if it works. That's how it is on my 6 edge plus, I have that and the s8

Apollo_316

May 25, 2007
I found one sure way to make edge lighting work for everything..bear with me though. This is retarded and ultimately this is a broken feature on the Samsung S8.

Go to the play store and buy..yes, buy "Edge Lighting" by Edge Design. The free version won't work. You are welcome to test other edge apps but this is all that worked for me. Install the paid version of Edge Lighting and set it up by enabling notification access. From here, don't bother setting any settings up in the app, they don't work yet. Irony. Somehow, edge lighting kicks the Samsung lighting into gear even though neither app works by themselves yet. Now telegram, hangouts, calls, everything..works and shows the Samsung edge light. Face up, face down, screen on or off. It all works. Don't ask me why this works..I truly don't know. Let us know your results if you guys try this or other apps. Again, samsung needs to fix this. Its half baked because it doesn't even work with a full factory reset. I'm using verizon s8 btw. There is NO customization of colors yet. All notifications are a light blue for now. Nothing we can do about that yet.

Disclaimer: I absolutely promise I'm not trying to advertise their app or make them sales. I paid for this edge app and one other (purple app icon on the play store..I forget the name but it didn't work like this one did) for my S7 because I wanted edge lights for any app I wanted, and the color I wanted.

Apr 23, 2017
I believe edge lighting only works when the phone screen is facing down . When you put your phone on the table put the screen down and see if it works. That's how it is on my 6 edge plus, I have that and the s8

Nope it works for any way you have the phone. There maybe another setting for you that's causing it to go crazy. Anything that can effect the screen effects this notification style...it's tricky to say the least.

smith3021

Oct 1, 2010
I had the same issue. I turned the feature completely off, then restart your s8. Go back into the settings and turn the feature back on selecting when you want it the feature to work. At this point restart your s8 again. Double check the feature is still check marked. This worked for me and the edge lighting works for me at all times now

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
As they say, RTFM. ;) Why would you need the Edge Panel lighting while the screen was face up; you'd see the notifications on the display. The S7e and Note7 worked the same way.

33376717224_590c4a1fc5_c.jpg

maik005

Feb 15, 2009
Google Pixel 7a
The german manual is right here.

It says that the EDGE lightning (Seitenlicht) lights up when there are new notifications AND if the device is face down and a call is coming

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170423-165200.jpg
    Screenshot_20170423-165200.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,083
Reactions: Silli-Singen

Best01

Oct 19, 2010
I had the same issue, use glimpse notifications from the Plat Store and it will work

Opman711

Jan 3, 2011
Face down and restarting phone after switching feature on/off still not working. So weird the edge lighting works while the screen is on just not while it's off. Oh well, no big deal, thank god for the LED. Now we just need a hotspot hack ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edge lighting works when the screen is on but nothing when it's off

Ive noticed the same thing. It was troubling at first, but with a little fiddling around I seemed to have found the fix or problem. The screen on in pocket sensitivity is the part that's preventing the screen to turn on while in the pocket...this also includes the edge lighting when the screen is off. So the fix is here (for me at least)...

Settings---Display---*scroll to bottom*--- Keep Screen Turned off---Uncheck

Hope that helps some of you. Made an account just for this comment since it's impossible to find the answer so far.
    I had the same issue. I turned the feature completely off, then restart your s8. Go back into the settings and turn the feature back on selecting when you want it the feature to work. At this point restart your s8 again. Double check the feature is still check marked. This worked for me and the edge lighting works for me at all times now
    I'm not a big fan of Edge lighting, but recently noticed that with certain messaging apps like WhatsApp, I do not get Edge Lighting.
    After some digging found the reason:
    Edge Lighting / Screen wake-up works very well with certain apps like Samsung messages (both screen on and screen off), but not with all the apps (example: WhatsApp). This is due to a permission change in Android 7.
    If you go to the "Settings/Apps" screen and tap the three dots in top-right corner and select "special access", these will be an entry called "Apps that can appear on top". When you tap the entry, you will get a list of apps that can have the special access called "draw on top of other apps". any app in this list can invoke Edge Lighting or wake the screen up. In my case, I found WhatsApp is missing in it. That mean WhatsApp developers have to fix the app.

As a workaround: Open WhatsApp, Go to settings -> Notifications and enable "Popup" notifications to show when the screen is "off".
    Edge notifications don't work for me either - this is really disappointment. Does Samsung not bother to TEST its phones, before it releases them??
    Here's what worked for my Note 8, so might work with the S8/S8+, too.

Search "Edge Panel" on the settings > Select "Download" and > Go to "Top Free" > look for "Notification Edge" and install it.
    Once it's there, go to Edge Panel again and click "Edit" under "Notification Edge". Choose the apps you want to receive notification from and turn on "Notif on lock screen" if you want.

That should work!