FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HowTo] Root the latest OTA when the HTC Unlocker tool doesn't work

335 posts
Thanks Meter: 84
 
By jonnycat26, Senior Member on 21st February 2012, 03:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st February 2012, 06:14 PM |#11  
Blue6IX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,144
 
Donate to Me
More
If anyone is going to mirror it please keep the original filename - we have more then one PG59IMG.zip file with an HTC signature (retail launch and this one).

If they are not named including the software version and radio then people may be confused on what they are getting - thanks guys!
 
 
21st February 2012, 08:03 PM |#12  
ac3theone's Avatar
Senior Member
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 198
 
Donate to Me
More
it worked, now to get su. thanks for the guide
22nd February 2012, 12:54 PM |#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
delete post
25th February 2012, 09:00 PM |#14  
Member
ST.Lucia
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycat26

So, you've got the latest OTA (1.55.531.3) and the HTC unlocker tool won't work? Tired of waiting for HTC to issue a fix/resume the OTA? You no longer have to wait in agony.

These are the steps I took to unlock the latest OTA. They worked for me, they may not work for you. Anything you do to your phone is not my responsibility.

That said..

  • Backup what you can. Your phone is going to be wiped.
  • Make sure your battery is charged up.
  • Download the full 1.55.531.3 image. This contains the confirmation splash screen which wasn't loaded on older MT4GSes, and is the reason the unlocker tool won't work on our devices. You can get the full image (it's over 400MB) here:
  • Download the CWM recovery image:


  • Rename the full image downloaded in the first step to PG59IMG.zip and place it on the root of the SD card in your phone.
  • Shut the phone down, remove the battery, and boot back up while holding both the volume down and power buttons down.
  • The phone will check the PG59IMG.zip file and will ask you if you want to restore that image. You want to do this, but keep in mind this is going to wipe your phone. All data will be lost.
  • The phone will restore the image. This takes a few minutes. When it's done, you'll be prompted to reboot, and you'll boot into a completely stock MT4GS experience.
  • Use the unlock tool on htcdev.com to generate your unlock code. The splash screen is now on your phone, and you should be able to unlock (I had no issues).
  • I rebooted at this point, just to be safe, and set up my phone.
  • Copy the recovery image you downloaded earlier into the directory where you're running fastboot. Rename it to recovery.img
  • Shut down, boot into the bootloader/fastboot, and enter the following command to flash CWM recovery:


  • At this point, you should probably reboot the bootloader before entering CWM. Once you've done that, you can go ahead and flash superuser/roms/etc.

Copy the recovery image you downloaded earlier into the directory where you're running fastboot. Rename it to recovery.img
Shut down, boot into the bootloader/fastboot, and enter the following command to flash CWM recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Cant do this last few steps.Don't understand what to do as yet
25th February 2012, 09:34 PM |#15  
Blue6IX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,144
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scondrel

Copy the recovery image you downloaded earlier into the directory where you're running fastboot. Rename it to recovery.img
Shut down, boot into the bootloader/fastboot, and enter the following command to flash CWM recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Cant do this last few steps.Don't understand what to do as yet

You need to transfer the recovery image to the directory with your fastboot.exe file.

You would then need to rename it to recovery.img

Then you boot your phone into fastboot mode, and plug it into the computer.

Open a command prompt, and navigate to the directory with fastboot.exe and run the command:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue6IX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Blue6IX Ad-Free
26th February 2012, 01:23 AM |#16  
Member
ST.Lucia
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thanks got it now.Appreciate the help

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scondrel

Thanks got it now.Appreciate the help

Didn't work for me,I all the way to final step, but once i enter recovery for CWM,and try to flash the superuser file or anything else, it just shows the icon and nothing else happens.Once i click the power button it goes back to the CWM Home screen.Any advice on this guys ?
26th February 2012, 01:41 AM |#17  
jonnycat26's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 84
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scondrel

Thanks got it now.Appreciate the help

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------


Didn't work for me,I all the way to final step, but once i enter recovery for CWM,and try to flash the superuser file or anything else, it just shows the icon and nothing else happens.Once i click the power button it goes back to the CWM Home screen.Any advice on this guys ?

You are using the trackpad to "select" within CWM, not the power button, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnycat26 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jonnycat26 Ad-Free
26th February 2012, 03:54 AM |#18  
Member
ST.Lucia
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycat26

You are using the trackpad to "select" within CWM, not the power button, right?

Thanks it was 'nt that. There wasn't enough space on the memory card and I didn't have USB debugging on.Got it solved now .Thanks for the speedy responses.Truly appreciated .Feels so good to be a part of this community.
27th February 2012, 05:36 AM |#19  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycat26

So, you've got the latest OTA (1.55.531.3) and the HTC unlocker tool won't work? Tired of waiting for HTC to issue a fix/resume the OTA? You no longer have to wait in agony.

These are the steps I took to unlock the latest OTA. They worked for me, they may not work for you. Anything you do to your phone is not my responsibility.

That said..

  • Backup what you can. Your phone is going to be wiped.
  • Make sure your battery is charged up.
  • Download the full 1.55.531.3 image. This contains the confirmation splash screen which wasn't loaded on older MT4GSes, and is the reason the unlocker tool won't work on our devices. You can get the full image (it's over 400MB) here:
  • Download the CWM recovery image:


  • Rename the full image downloaded in the first step to PG59IMG.zip and place it on the root of the SD card in your phone.
  • Shut the phone down, remove the battery, and boot back up while holding both the volume down and power buttons down.
  • The phone will check the PG59IMG.zip file and will ask you if you want to restore that image. You want to do this, but keep in mind this is going to wipe your phone. All data will be lost.
  • The phone will restore the image. This takes a few minutes. When it's done, you'll be prompted to reboot, and you'll boot into a completely stock MT4GS experience.
  • Use the unlock tool on htcdev.com to generate your unlock code. The splash screen is now on your phone, and you should be able to unlock (I had no issues).
  • I rebooted at this point, just to be safe, and set up my phone.
  • Copy the recovery image you downloaded earlier into the directory where you're running fastboot. Rename it to recovery.img
  • Shut down, boot into the bootloader/fastboot, and enter the following command to flash CWM recovery:


  • At this point, you should probably reboot the bootloader before entering CWM. Once you've done that, you can go ahead and flash superuser/roms/etc.


These instructions worked perfectly! Can not believe it worked. This should be stickied! Thank you.
27th February 2012, 04:37 PM |#20  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,834
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalden

this might deserve a sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo420

This should be stickied!

Eh, why not. Done .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arrrghhh Ad-Free
29th February 2012, 10:44 PM |#21  
Emmanuel U's Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Chi-Town Suburbs
Thanks Meter: 2,608
 
More
Hey I'm putting this in Mr Root...but you think i can just take out the splash img from the file and flash it manually (fastboot flash splash splash.img)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes