[ROM] pffmod Revoke permissions and Privacy mode. New permissions supported

Search This thread

username666

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
New permissions with privacy mode support :)

Any way there is a new build this one is based on the latest and greatest from CM 7.1. the download link is below.

Privacy mode permissions:
  • NEW! READ_LOGS - If enabled attempts to read logs will return nothing but will not crash the app.
  • NEW! READ_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS - If enabled it will return the default bookmarks as you have never changed them and empty history.
  • READ_PHONE_STATE - You can now make your device return anonymized data from the methods protected with READ_PHONE_STATE permission.

There is a demo app
chart
you can use to see the effect of the privacy mode and revoking. Run the app revoke or make private run the app again.
Currently there is no READ_LOGS demo.

ROM info:
  • Some applications may not work properly with revoked permissions.
  • You CAN'T revoke permission of SYSTEM applications!
  • If an application is running changing some permissions like say INTERNET will not be fully applied until the application is restarted.
  • Google apps are not included. You need to download them separately and flash them right after the ROM.
  • You uses it at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible for the consequences.

Some technical stuff:
If an application checks for its permissions it will appear that all required permissions are granted. This is done to keep some ad networks code happy. As far as I've tested this is safe since the permission check is done at the remote end of the call when protected method is invoked. Please report your findings.

Download:
update-pffmod-7.1.0-DesireHD-20111013-signed.zip
chart

Old builds:
update-pffmod-7.1.0-DesireHD-KANG-signed.zip
direct link: update-pffmod-0.9.1-DesireHD-DEV-20110418-signed.zip storage provided by: http://onlinestoragesolution.com
direct link: update-pffmod-0.9.0-DesireHD-DEV-20110328.2-signed.zip storage provided by: http://onlinestoragesolution.com
update-pffmod-0.9.0-DesireHD-DEV-20110327-signed.zip - broken don't use
update-pffmod-0.9.0-DesireHD-DEV-20110323-signed.zip
update-pffmod-0.9.0-DesireHD-DEV-20110321-signed.zip
update-pffmod-0.9.0-DesireHD-DEV-20110318-signed.zip
update-pffmod-0.9.0-DesireHD-DEV-signed.zip

Attachments

• edit-permissions.jpg
    edit-permissions.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,072
Last edited:

username666

Sep 10, 2009
I need you opinion.

Please comment if you are interested in continued development of this ROM.

Please report ANY success or failure!

Last edited:

buzzboy

Oct 29, 2010
Canterbury
+1, Using it now, brilliant. It has made me aware of some dodgy permissions out there, although it may cause severe paranoia! Great idea, and think you should continue, a Pure Aosp build would be amazing.
Thanks , and keep going!

username666

Sep 10, 2009
I've submitted it to the cyanogenmod gerrit. However this does not mean that it will be accepted.

So for the now I'll try to make daily builds.

ricebus

Dec 25, 2010
lol! nice idea. it'd be great if they'd accept it into the cyanogen nighties. great feature.

gandhisfist

Nov 16, 2007
Is there any kind of delay with re-granting a permission once its been revoked? I've found that re-granting permission is buggy with certain apps.

gandhisfist

Nov 16, 2007
I've also had some issues building this mod into roms for Inc and Evo, I get this error:

make: *** [out/target/product/inc/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libaudio_intermediates/AudioHardware.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/liba2dp.c: In function 'a2dp_write':
external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/liba2dp.c:1204: warning: passing argument 6 of 'sbc_encode' from incompatible pointer type
external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/../sbc/sbc.h:94: note: expected 'ssize_t *' but argument is of type 'unsigned int *'
frameworks/base/services/audioflinger/AudioFlinger.cpp: In member function 'android::status_t android::AudioFlinger::moveEffectChain_l(int, android::AudioFlinger::playbackThread*, android::AudioFlinger::playbackThread*, bool)':
frameworks/base/services/audioflinger/AudioFlinger.cpp:4986: warning: 'strategy' may be used uninitialized in this function
frameworks/base/services/audioflinger/AudioFlinger.cpp: In member function 'virtual android::sp<android::IEffect> android::AudioFlinger::createEffect(pid_t, effect_descriptor_t*, const android::sp<android::IEffectClient>&, int32_t, int, int, android::status_t*, int*, int*)':
frameworks/base/services/audioflinger/AudioFlinger.cpp:4842: warning: 'd.effect_descriptor_s::flags' may be used uninitialized in this function

username666

Sep 10, 2009
Is there any kind of delay with re-granting a permission once its been revoked? I've found that re-granting permission is buggy with certain apps.

Have you tried force stopping the application and starting it again?

Which are the applications that you have problems with?

Last edited:

username666

Sep 10, 2009
I've also had some issues building this mod into roms for Inc and Evo, I get this error:

make: *** [out/target/product/inc/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libaudio_intermediates/AudioHardware.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/liba2dp.c: In function 'a2dp_write':
external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/liba2dp.c:1204: warning: passing argument 6 of 'sbc_encode' from incompatible pointer type
external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/../sbc/sbc.h:94: note: expected 'ssize_t *' but argument is of type 'unsigned int *'.....

Sorry but this errors are not related to the pffmod sources try to first sync then clean and rebuild.

Last edited:
A

alexluckett

Absolutely brilliant! I pray to god somebody incorporates this into a sense ROM.

Last edited:

username666

Sep 10, 2009
I've been contacted by Google. The offered me a job if I stop developing the pffmod.
What should I do?

gandhisfist

Nov 16, 2007
Dude, just want to express my gratitude again for this amazing feature, i refuse to install a rom that doesn't have it, its pretty much my favorite feature right now and i don't see anythign else topping it anytime soon. Well done sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Top Liked Posts