Official ASUS Thread - Serial Number Not Found

Search This thread

sontin

Jan 17, 2011
So, not even Asus can't fix this problem, they don't upload the latest firmware for all countries to their server.

Really, i'm paid 600€ and nobody want try to help me? And i were so excited about the Prime. What a shame.

Last edited:

pokevitek

Aug 28, 2007
Don´t forget, Prime is still not everywhere pleasantly available... So I prefer RMA to waiting I don´t even know how long before another shop gets another batch... If it needed to be replaced, I believe they have some spare... And you never know, next one could be worse... And if you can exchange them forever, your time :)

markbraggs

Jan 5, 2012
My new Prime should be here by 4pm. They were nice enough to overnight it to me. I'll do a side-by-side comparison with my current prime to see the differences...

jonalisa

Dec 16, 2011
Nottingham
I apologize about the dial in problems with the Service Group. If you called and had a problem with them not assisting you through either a system identification walk-through and software update or a RMA then please PM me with your email, name, and serial number and I will forward it directly to our Service Team. We will have a dedicated support staff on the forums in the near future to fast track service calls, in the meantime I am assisting service.

Gary,
Instead of everyone PM'ing you, does it not make more sense to inform your own service staff that you are telling people to call in, inform them on the issue, explain to them what we are being told to expect and inform how they should respond?
I've poured through the threads trying to understand why I should RMA my device to people who seem to not know what's going on, for a fix that doesn't seem to exist or simply has not been fully tested. (If it doesn't work for the majority, is it a viable fix - or does it simply point to multiple issues?)

I am beyond my 14 day return window and feel like I am at the mercy of a diverse group of Asus employees, each with a different view/understanding of what's going on and each telling me to do something different... none of which specifically states or guarantees a specific process or outcome.

I paid $500 for this product and I am not just going to ship it out to an entity that is not all on the same page.
This is ludicrous and I really need for Asus to stand together on this and develop one plan we can feel confident about.

I would rather hear you say, "Please give us one month to test the issue, develop a repeatable, reliable solution and educate our staff so that there is one consistent, well-defined process at the end of which your Prime will be completely repaired or replaced with a brand new one at our expense."

Last edited:

PrimeTimeBro

Dec 29, 2011
Gary,
Instead of everyone PM'ing you, does it not make more sense to inform your own service staff that you are telling people to call in, inform them on the issue, explain to them what we are being told to expect and inform how they should respond?
I've poured through the threads trying to understand why I should RMA my device to people who seem to not know what's going on, for a fix that doesn't seem to exist or simply has not been fully tested. (If it doesn't work for the majority, is it a viable fix - or does it simply point to multiple issues?)

I am beyond my 14 day return window and feel like I am at the mercy of a diverse group of Asus employees, each with a different view/understanding of what's going on and each telling me to do something different... none of which specifically states or guarantees a specific process or outcome.

I paid $500 for this product and I am not just going to ship it out to an entity that is not all on the same page.
This is ludicrous and I really need for Asus to stand together on this and develop one plan we can feel confident about.

I would rather hear you say, "Please give us one month to test the issue, develop a repeatable, reliable solution and educate our staff so that there is one consistent, well-defined process at the end of which your Prime will be completely repaired or replaced with a brand new one at our expense."

you are exactly right and this is why it is better to just return for refund or exchange if you speak to managers at stores and explain the situation they will make exceptions.

Hanshananigan

Jan 16, 2012
so, I'm curious... why do you need the battery fuly charged?

in other news, I'm getting tired of lags in typing and other keyboard wierdness. I hope ICS fixes that stuff...

null pointer

Jan 16, 2012
I would guess the full battery requirement is a means of reducing configuration variability. Maybe the TF201 throttles down when it is in a low battery state, and activates some power saving features that may conflict with the update? Plus it's probably safer to require a full battery in case there's a power failure during the update process. Probably saves a lot of headache. This is all pure conjecture on my part, though.

I haven't noted any major lags in typing (onscreen keyboard) with the manual ICS update I applied. I don't have my dock yet though, so I don't know if there are any issues with that.

To keep this from being a completely useless post, I'd like to report that I still haven't been contacted by Asus support (I submitted via e-mail). I guess calling in is the recommended approach? Has anyone had their serial# issue resolved yet? I can't really return my unit to the retailer since I bought it online through BestBuy and am well past their return date.

so, I'm curious... why do you need the battery fuly charged?

in other news, I'm getting tired of lags in typing and other keyboard wierdness. I hope ICS fixes that stuff...

Reactions: Hanshananigan

labtec3

Oct 30, 2009
[QUOTEresolved yet? I can't really return my unit to the retailer since I bought it online through BestBuy and am well past their return date.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not, I noticed on my Best Buy receipt it said if you are a member of the rewards program you have 45 days to return an item.

Hanshananigan

Jan 16, 2012
I would guess the full battery requirement is a means of reducing configuration variability. Maybe the TF201 throttles down when it is in a low battery state, and activates some power saving features that may conflict with the update? Plus it's probably safer to require a full battery in case there's a power failure during the update process. Probably saves a lot of headache. This is all pure conjecture on my part, though.

I haven't noted any major lags in typing (onscreen keyboard) with the manual ICS update I applied. I don't have my dock yet though, so I don't know if there are any issues with that.

To keep this from being a completely useless post, I'd like to report that I still haven't been contacted by Asus support (I submitted via e-mail). I guess calling in is the recommended approach? Has anyone had their serial# issue resolved yet? I can't really return my unit to the retailer since I bought it online through BestBuy and am well past their return date.

Makes sense, thanks. The lag I was referring to is when using the keyboard dock. Sometimes.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I would appreciate some direction on how to Sync my PC and TFP so that I can unzip the file from PC to microSD on the TFP. The ASUS instructions are missing some steps for the uninitiated... Thanks!

Hanshananigan

Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for asking. I am currently using a laptop with XP w SP3 but also have a laptop with Windows 7 downstairs.

Well, I figured out that I needed to use the 50-pin USB instead of USB port in the dock (duh!). Unfortunately the extraction wizard would not recognize the TFP as a place where I could unzip the files. Instead, I unzipped to the PC and transferred them over to the microSD root, but still no notification to allow me to install the updates (took out microSD and reinserted while TFP was powered on as instructed). For those who got this to work, did I maybe miss a step?

SonicTab

Nov 25, 2010
The firmware upgrade zip has a zip within it.

Place that internal zip file unextracted in a Asus/update folder on the microSD,
then insert the microsd in the transformer tablet.

LoganMcClay

Dec 2, 2009
Can someone with the issue look run this command

and see if there is a serial number in the output ? if there is that mean there is a possible work around for asus ......

Hi everybody,

I have the issue and yes I see something called androidboot.serialno= but it doesn't looks like a normal SN, i've something beginning by 015c7d...

Bye,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Day,

For those users who are suffering from the "Serial Number Not Found" problem we are currently trying to replicate the problem. In the meantime, there has been some success following these instructions.

Issue -
    1. System will not auto or manual update to the latest firmware or image.
    a. Go to Settings, Backup and Reset, start a Factory Data Reset. Please do this and after the reset let the unit remain active (settings, display, sleep, always on) for 15 minutes with a WiFi connection active so the system can sync with the ASUS servers. Hopefully the system will see the update, if not please go to settings, About Tablet, and then double tap on System Firmware Update please.

b. Alternative Version until the Service Side Fix is implemented.

There is an alternative way to get the updated firmware on your unit.

Ensure you have a micro-sd card available for this update, please download from a PC the US (WW/TW released also) firmware for the device. Please verify that your firmware is US (or WW/TW). In the SETTING and ABOUT TABLET it will tell you in the About section.

Example: You should be able to see the build number US_epad-9.X.X.X_2012xxxx where "US" means build type.

You can download the correct update file from the support site on the below link.

http://support.asus.com/Download.as...cher.zip#US_epaduser9_4_2_7UpdateLauncher.zip

Extract the zip file to the root of your Micro-Sd. It should be the file US_epad-user-9.4.2.7.zip for the US version as an example.

Ensure the AC adapter is plugged in, all apps are closed and you are at the desktop screen, install the micro-SD card and you will get a notification on the bottom task bar to update the firmware. Please follow the instructions.

If that does not work, please PM the serial number of your unit.

1/16/12 Update - We have replicated this problem and hopefully we will have a solution shortly.

1/17/12 Update - Thank you to the users I reached out to for their contact information. You should hear from our engineering or technical support staff shortly to verify a few settings and to try another OTA update sequence. For those I did not contact yet, we might expand the group for additional testing. I have read all the messages so please do not be upset if we have not contacted you yet. We are very close to finalizing a fix for this problem but first we will have to confirm your unit setup.

1/18/12 Update - Technical Support and Engineering will contact another subset of users starting today. We are in the final process of testing two solutions to this problem.

1/19/12 Update - We are finalizing testing with the last subset of users and will post instructions on the fix in the near future. Just a reminder, for those I or engineering did not contact directly yet, it does not mean we are ignoring your problem. We have read all the messages so please do not be upset if we have not contacted you yet.

1/21/12 Update - I will have updates tomorrow and a new communication system with forum members headed up by a dedicated staff.

1/22/12 Update - I will provide an update tomorrow on our new Customer Service Support program for the Transformer Prime and additional forum support that will be coming in the very near future. In addition, I expect an update from engineering and service shortly for the resolution on this issue. We have completed replication testing.

1/23/12 Update -

For North American users with the Serial Number Not Found problem that we have not directly contacted during the replication testing cycle we ask that you please send the following information to tablet@asus.com :

Subject: <TF201 SN Not Found – Your Contact Name>

Body:
    Name: Your Customer Name
    Phone: A contact phone number
    Email: Your Email address
    SN#: Your TF201 Serial Number

A customer care representative or technician will take your information, confirm the status of the serial number on our server, ask you to walk through a short procedure to correct the problem. If this fix does not work they will walk you through the next series of steps to correct it.

1/25/12 Update -
    One option to fix this problem is to complete a manual update process, set the unit power mode to balanced performance and screen brightness manually to 50%, and then manually update to the latest ICS build using these instructions - http://service.asus.com/TF201_fwupdate. You will need a fully charged battery and have the system plugged into AC power. After the update is completed, please ensure there is a WiFi connection available and let the system idle with an active WiFi connection (ensure the system does not go to sleep) for 15~20 minutes and then reboot. If the serial number is not available after this process, please follow these instructions:

For North American users with the Serial Number Not Found problem that we have not directly contacted during the replication testing cycle we ask that you please send the following information to tablet@asus.com :

Subject: <TF201 SN Not Found – Your Contact Name>

Body:
    Name: Your Customer Name
    Phone: A contact phone number
    Email: Your Email address
    SN#: Your TF201 Serial Number
    Process Already Completed - Manual Firmware Update to latest ICS ROM Image

A customer care representative or technician will confirm the status of the serial number on our server, contact you and might ask you to walk through a short procedure to correct the problem. If the serial number is not located, the unit will need to be returned for a replacement procedure.

2/12/2012 Update -
    If North American users are still experiencing the Serial Number Not Found Problem after completing a manual update to ICS, then please send your contact information and serial number to tablet@asus.com. If you do not hear back from Service within 48 hours, please PM me directly.

3/6/2012 Update:
    I am back and will start answering messages.

Note - For those users who provided this information already based on direct contact from us, you will be notified shortly. For those users who provided their serial numbers but were not contacted by us for further testing you will need to either send the email above or call the hotline. We sincerely apologize about this inconvenience but your TF201 will be fixed shortly.
    we now have a fix for this :)

https://twitter.com/#!/BumbleDroid/status/164456392974012417

http://androidroot.mobi/2012/01/31/introducing-ratchet-the-unknown-serial-fix/

p.s.

any donations should go to the androidroot.mobi team (donate link on the blog post)
    Gary Is it a software problem or a hardware problem?

At this point, thanks to the users who reported their serial numbers we think it is probably a software fix as those serial numbers are being seen on our server side and available for a OTA update. Either way, we will take care of those users with this problem. I will be contacting these users shortly for additional information to confirm our findings and solution.
    For all of you watching this thread I thought I'd let you know that it looks like the ICS update has been posted to the ASUS site for download. I'm going to go ahead and give it a go. I'll post back with results to see if the unknown serial number stops the manual update for ICS. I had good luck with the 8.8.3.33 update so I don't see why this one won't work. Don't get me wrong, I want the OTA problem solved but I'll take the manual update for now if I can get it.
    That's not for an uber-newb as there seems to be a lot of pre-steps and things to download, e.g., and which appear to need other things loaded first.

I'm asking for a walk through for a literal no nothing whose first experience of android is the ATP--there's a lot of us on this site.

But if this kind of thing is beyond us--well, thanks for your efforts, but we'll have to wait.

1. If you have a windows pc, download the USB drivers from HERE (choose Android as OS) and install them
    2. Get adb from here: Windows* or Linux
    3. Activate USB debugging mode on your prime (Settings -> Developer options) and connect your Prime to the pc
    4. open a terminal window on your pc
    5. in that terminal window, browse to the directory where you have downloaded adb to (the Ratchet archive should be extracted to the same directory) and execute the following commands:
    6. adb push mempodroid /data/local/ (on linux: ./adb ....)
    7. adb push ratchet /data/local/
    8. adb shell (You’ll now see a shell@android:/ $ prompt)
    9. chmod 755 /data/local/mempodroid /data/local/ratchet
    10. /data/local/mempodroid 0xd9ec 0xaf47 /data/local/ratchet
    11. This is where the magic happens. Make sure you enter your serial number correctly, all in caps!
    12. Reboot your device
    13. Done

* Download for windows version two post later

Points 6 to 13 are just copied from the android.mobi website so I don't take any responsibilities.