FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

 View Poll Results: Will the European Desire Z & HD Models be root locked?

Yes, I think so
 
43 Vote(s)
75.44%
I don't think so
 
14 Vote(s)
24.56%

Do you Think HTC will place the same Hardware root block on the DHD as they did on G2

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 3
 
By RollingStar, Member on 6th October 2010, 06:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Well, according to these very forums, the US T-mobile G2 has a hardware root block - a chip which flashes the phone back to the original ROM every time it detects a custom one

Do you think HTC will place this same hardware root block on the UK Desire Z and more importantly, our precious Desire HD? Personally, I'd like to believe that HTC did this under pressure from T-Mobile US, but I don't know...
 
 
6th October 2010, 07:13 PM |#2  
Bumble-Bee's Avatar
Recognized Developer & Original Autobot
Thanks Meter: 562
 
More
Smile
Yes the desire HD will have the same protection as the G2. athough that sounds bad its not as bad as you would think.

1) there will be loads of devs working on the same problem (G2, DesireZ, DesireHD) so the quicker the full root will come
2) we can still "temporeraly" write to system unlike the Evo/Desire/ect. before root

Presumeing that the DesireHD is also vunrable to the rageagainstthecage exploit like the G2. Im pritty shure that it will be as G2 is and the ROM will be built at a similer time if :D
JupiterDroid
6th October 2010, 07:16 PM |#3  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache14

Yes the desire HD will have the same protection as the G2. athough that sounds bad its not as bad as you would think.

1) there will be loads of devs working on the same problem (G2, DesireZ, DesireHD) so the quicker the full root will come
2) we can still "temporeraly" write to system unlike the Evo/Desire/ect. before root

Presumeing that the DesireHD is also vunrable to the rageagainstthecage exploit like the G2. Im pritty shure that it will be as G2 is and the ROM will be built at a similer time if :D

The G2 is running Vanilla 2.2 though, so it may be somewhat different... Lets hope the Desire HD can be rooted ASAP, Im sure Paul OB has a few tricks up his sleeve He has an answer for everything you know))

JD
6th October 2010, 07:22 PM |#4  
SupremeBeaver's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nicosia
Thanks Meter: 311
 
Donate to Me
More
yeah i just read about this on Engadget. This could potentially be a major problem for us future DHD owners.
6th October 2010, 07:57 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Nobody has confirmed yet that there is some sort of hardware block. To me it sounds more like a kernel customization. Anyways, give the G2 hackers a couple of days to figure it out. I wouldn't be surprised if non-US phones (where there is actually competition) will not see this crap.
6th October 2010, 11:44 PM |#6  
RollingStar's Avatar
OP Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Thanks for your opinions guys! I guess the key is patience, it seems successful steps have already been taking in unlocking the device. With the combined effort of all of the HTC droid hackers, it shouldn't take very long at all
7th October 2010, 05:20 AM |#7  
override182's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 315
 
More
If they cant disable it, maybe they can make the phone reinstall a rooted version of the stock.. They have temporary root now, hopefully they manage to locate the hidden nand.. If they managed to get write permission to the part where the stock image/rom is, hopefully they will manage to make it restore a rooted version of it. If they manage to disable it, it would be easier for us to flash using rom manager etc but if they cant, we will just have to perhaps rely on restoring method. Its like a nandroid restore mechanism.

Just wishful thinking here, i do not know what they are doing now but hopefully it will work either hard or easy. Things go hard at first and hopefully will be more fluid as time pass by. Pray.. pray.. pray.. Go modders/devs!
7th October 2010, 07:50 AM |#8  
Bumble-Bee's Avatar
Recognized Developer & Original Autobot
Thanks Meter: 562
 
More
I can tell you all now HTC will have HW R/W protection on there probably controled by the bootloader. They did it on the Desire/Wildfire/Evo they are not going to take a step back with this phone. 99% of the stuff ppl here about the G2 protection is wrong. i.e its not a rootkit :-s what happens.

Bootloader sets eMMC to R/O --> boots os --> any changes get bufferd --> on reboot bootloader restores removing changes

Thats what happens no one realy knows how the restores happen yet.


Root will come probably for all 3 devices at once.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
7th October 2010, 10:18 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Personally, I can live without custom ROM, though I would prefer to have it. I currently own a Hero with MCR5, and love it.

But what is REALLY important is root access to access Market and download the many programs I have already purchased.

Here in Denmark, we only have the locked "free apps only" market. I need my CoPilot and much other stuff!

If I have root, and can run my "root required" apps, then I am happy.
7th October 2010, 03:11 PM |#10  
onesolo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkeld

Personally, I can live without custom ROM, though I would prefer to have it. I currently own a Hero with MCR5, and love it.

But what is REALLY important is root access to access Market and download the many programs I have already purchased.

Here in Denmark, we only have the locked "free apps only" market. I need my CoPilot and much other stuff!

If I have root, and can run my "root required" apps, then I am happy.

Have you been inside a cave this last few days?!? If it's all about the market, google is going to open up to almost 30 new countries....
http://android-developers.blogspot.c...re-buyers.html

Oh, but you tell me, that the X app or the Y app still is not going to be on my country's market...
But that's not google fault, now it up with the software devs to select what country market they want to be
7th October 2010, 09:52 PM |#11  
phunkycow's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 350
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesolo

Have you been inside a cave this last few days?!? If it's all about the market, google is going to open up to almost 30 new countries....
http://android-developers.blogspot.c...re-buyers.html

Still, not all countries are on that list (like mine for example).

So having access to paid apps is still a pretty good reason to have root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes