[TUTORIAL][ROM] How to fix your phone and apply the update

Search This thread

MurdockBaracus

Oct 7, 2010
So Cal
????F*ck it!!!!!

which version of odin are we supposed to use? some have the PIT option and some dont...either way, i cant get it to work I'll just wait for the f*ckin OTA...its not that serious.... :confused:

dreadwing

May 9, 2008
Thank you so much!
I woke up to this update nonsense and was raging, good thing I always check xda-developers.

zsouthboy

Dec 10, 2009
Just did the last 5 steps only on the girlfriend's rooted (non-lagfixed) Vibrant; it kept all settings and installed programs perfectly.

Thank you OP.

Boo Samsung for putting out ****ty broken software in the first place.

<Conspiracy>They intentionally made the update "soft brick" rooted phones</Conspiracy>

<MoreLikelyTruth>They're incompetent.</MoreLikelyTruth>

g1ftmfw

Jan 11, 2009
youneek!!!!! thank you so much for this!!!!!! helped me recover from yet more proof that samsung hasnt figured it out yet...

gootman

May 4, 2007
Thanks! I was stuck on the Vibrant screen (I'm thinking it has to do with editing boot sounds/animation) and I'm back up and running. Now to re-root and get everything back in order.

mr.orange303

Aug 15, 2010
Just did the last 5 steps only on the girlfriend's rooted (non-lagfixed) Vibrant; it kept all settings and installed programs perfectly.

Thank you OP.

Boo Samsung for putting out ****ty broken software in the first place.

<Conspiracy>They intentionally made the update "soft brick" rooted phones</Conspiracy>

<MoreLikelyTruth>They're incompetent.</MoreLikelyTruth>

OP didnt do this. He gathered the work of others in one convient place. So it should be Thanks to the xda Members who helped. And OP you shuld put credit to those who do these things for people.

kboater

Jan 31, 2010
EDIT: found the link. downloading eveything now

thanks to the OP for putting this together.

Question, I have not used Odin or received OTA yet. So i would like to use Odin to update so i dont have to wait for OTA to screw up my phone...

The link provided in the OP (all in one zip) seems like its for people who have already soft bricked their vibrant so they would be wiping their data during the fix and update. Since Im not at a soft brick, I dont want to end up wiping my data.

Is there a download that provides the Odin that I need to use or what ever samsung drivers I need without anything that would wipe my phone?

thanks for the help as i have never downloaded or used odin

Last edited:

youneek

Jun 29, 2009
This method works to recover any soft bricked phone. I have only seen one phone that couldn't be recovered with odin (mine). Hopefully someone will repack the update into an update.zip for root users. Unfortunately I don't have a phone to test it on or I would make one.

I have heard that many of the lag fixes no longer work so make sure you know how to recover from whatever you are doing...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

lwick74

Sep 11, 2007
This worked great for me, used a netbook! If anyone in south Florida needs help, let me know.

lwick74

MV10

Jul 16, 2010
FL
Waiting for the download to finish to fix my wife's OTA soft-brick.

Am I correct to assume I can do part two on any Vibrant and I'll end up with the T-Mobile JI6 update? Only one Vibrant in our house has gotten the OTA so far, but we all want it for the GPS fix...

casey.malek

Jul 22, 2010
Thanks man, this worked for me very quickly and got me back to stock - I thought this was the Froyo update, but I guess we still have to wait for that.

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque
If we skip part one & try part two, how long should it take? Odin has been sitting there for about 10 minutes now. It said Firmware update start. Then it jumped to cache.rfs & hasn't moved.

MV10

Jul 16, 2010
FL
I just ran part two only, and the ODIN updates took just a few minutes. From what I've read elsewhere, if it has been sitting there for 10 minutes, you may need to try again...

Also, I don't know if it matters but the original instructions don't mention that if you leave it plugged into USB after the reboot, eventually ODIN will show a green "PASS" message; I guess it checks the install after the phone restarts?

Looks like she lost root, and it replaced the ugly pink T-Mo boot animations (no biggie though).

Last edited:

mapinkerton

Jul 28, 2010
Waiting for the download to finish to fix my wife's OTA soft-brick.

Am I correct to assume I can do part two on any Vibrant and I'll end up with the T-Mobile JI6 update? Only one Vibrant in our house has gotten the OTA so far, but we all want it for the GPS fix...

Yes, that's correct. Part 2 is the same basic procedure that's specified here to manually apply the OTA update if you don't have it yet:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=798125

CapitalM3

Apr 10, 2009
EDIT: I'll keep it up in case someone runs into this problem but it was an issue with which USB port on my computer I was using. Tried a different one and it ran like a top.

MILLION THANKS to the OP!!!

I keep trying this but it keeps failing. Here's what Odin says...

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> cache.rfs
<ID:0/005> modem.bin
<ID:0/005> factoryfs.rfs
<ID:0/005> Removed!!

I see a bubble pop up from the status bar "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windowsdoes to recognize it."

I'm running 32 bit xp btw.

Last edited:

Samcrow

Sep 13, 2009
SJ, UT
Thanks!

Just downloaded file from OP and flashed via Odin with no problems. I was rooted with OCLF and had to undo the OCLF before flashing just as many have stated. The only problem I'm experiencing but really isn't a big one is when I re-rooted and re-applied the OCLF my haptic feedback went away. Anyone else notice this or know a work around? Thanks again.

edit:

I used the OCLF V2+ when the haptic feedback or any vibration disappeared, I undid the OCLF and now it works but no lag fix.

Last edited:

fencepost

Aug 5, 2010
I have one here (not mine, fortunately) that I can flash back to the Original.tar with no problems, but when I try to Odin it up to JI6 it fails - everything seems to go fine from Odin, but when the phone reboots I get:
Code:
Android system recovery <2e>
(standard stuff)
-- movi_checking done!...
update media, please wait (yellow to this point) (all following is red)
E:Can't mount /dev/block/stl10
(Invalid argument)
E:copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount DBDATA:
copy default media content failed.

This phone was running with the OCLF still installed when he accepted the update. I've since removed update.zip, and after a couple of tries we ended up flashing back to Original.tar with a repartition, so it should be back to fully stock.

I've tried this with both the SD card and SIM in and out.

What am I missing here?

Update:
I was able to flash it back to the original, then restore the nandroid backup I told him to create last night - he'd just removed the OCLF utility not rolled back the lag fix itself. Still getting the alert for a software update, so since I have a working phone again I'm going to see what I can do after doing a bit of cleanup.

Update 2:
After the nandroid restore, I went through and removed the (v1) One Click Lag Fix, which also required deleting multiple games, etc. that were cluttering the system. After that removal and with plenty of space free I was able to install the JI6 update through Odin. It still wanted to do the downloadable update, but after one attempt at letting it do that and another restart, it appears to have determined that the update is in place. Worst case tomorrow or Monday we roll it back to original, then the nandroid recovery, clear some space, remove OCLF, and do the OTA update.

Final update I hope:
Post-update I've re-rooted with the OCLF from the market, reinstalled Clockwork Mod Recovery through ROM Manager, and reinstalled the Mobile AP, all with no problems so far. I have not yet reinstalled a lag fix (which makes it a bit painful) but I'm going to hold off on that until I see confirmation that none of the changes affect it.

Last edited:

Oct 5, 2010
Honolulu
I want to get the update instead of waiting for the OTA. If I do it myself will this put the phone in "root" mode where I wont get any more "factory" OTA updates in the future?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have talked to many people that had issues applying the OTA update. Here are the steps to get your phone back to stock and apply the update.

As always, I'm not responsible for anything. yadda yadda.

First, download http://www.multiupload.com/NMPX3KMWRS

This contains Odin, the Samsung Drivers, stock odin rom, updated odin rom, pit file.

If you don't want to lose your settings, etc. you can skip to the second part. If your phone still doesn't work than start from the top.

-PART 1-
    Step 1.) Make sure you have the appropriate drivers installed for your phone. If you are on 64bit then choose 64, if you are on 32 choose 32. You may already have the drivers installed and it will tell you after you try to install them.
    Step 2.) Power your phone off
    Step 3.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
    Step 4.) Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
    Step 5.) To ensure your phone is back to stock, in odin you will want to check the repartition button. ONLY CHECK IT WHEN YOU ARE FLASHING BACK TO STOCK. Leave the other check boxes the way they are.
    Step 6.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
    Step 7.) Click the PDA button and select Original.tar and then click Start

It should go through a bunch of steps and then your phone will reboot. Below are the steps to update it to the latest release.

Close Odin and power your phone off.

-PART 2-
    Step 1.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
    Step 2.) Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
    Step 3.) Leave all check boxes the way they are. Do NOT check the repartition box.
    Step 4.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
    Step 5.) Click the PDA button and select T959UVJI6.tar and then click Start

It will go through a bunch of steps and then your phone will reboot. Congrats, you are on the latest update!
    i followed the steps and everything went great after installation..and the reboot and the galaxy s logo it goes black

Did You Flash Something Before Disabling Voodoo? 2 Fixes to Help You Out.
    So you forgot to disable the voodoo lagfix before you flashed a new rom and now you're getting an error, similar to the one posted below. Even Odin won't allow you to flash back to stock. Well, pay close attention and with some luck, you'll be good as rain...or something like that.

Fix 1:
    1. Download Eugenes 'Froyo that does not brick' file.
    2. Extract the files.
    3. Open Odin, plug in your phone, then put it into download mode.
    4. load the PIT file in appropriate area.
    5. load the .tar file in the PDA area.
    6. DO NOT check 're-partition'.
    7. Click start, let it finish. Your phone will load and reboot into stock recovery. It will error out again. DONT panic! This is what's supposed to happen.
    8. Now, pull your battery.
    9. Download the 'True stock 2.1 firmware for the vibrant'.
    10. Extract the files.
    11. Once again, open Odin, plug in your phone, put into download mode.
    12. Load the PIT file into the appropriate area and the .tar in the PDA area.
    13. THIS TIME you want to check the 're-partition' box.
    14. Now click start, let it finish, and this time your phone will load up just fine! BAM!

Fix 2: (use only if you know how to use adb commands)
    1. Place the 'disable-lagfix' file in your sdk>tools directory
    2. Get into clockwork recovery like you normally would
    3. Follow these adb commands to push the 'disable-lagfix' file to you sdcard>voodoo

adb push disable-lagfix /sdcard/voodoo

4. File should now be on your sdcard in your voodoo folder.
    5. Reboot phone and with luck, you should hear Linda the robot telling you your file system is being converted back to rfs.
    6. Because your system directory has already been wiped, you'll still get a black screen when you reboot, but your file system is back to rfs. Just pull the battery, and reflash whatever rom you want. Then reboot again.

from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=782027 using the files from OP with odinv1.3 restored my vibrant.
    it went dead after installing voodoo on a working JI6, quoted instructions finally got me back (thanks viralblack)

EDIT: "dead" == black screen after galaxy s, buttons light up and turn off when touched, nothing else, download mode and 2e recovery work. If that's you and you are sure nothing was skipped try the quoted instructions.

EDIT2: Eugene's ROM to break it, so we can rebuild it, better than it was before: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=740558
    Can I flash over J14 or do I need to revert to stock?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9375927
    Try this....
    If not go into the sticky threads on the top in the development section preferably by NOOB N N33D or Woody
    Download It Here

Man... the link is broken... could somebody please help me out and set up a new link with the same stuff... my sisters phone has been having some serious problems.

Here, I put together a package for you that contains everything that would've been in the OP's package. You can download it here...

DOWNLOAD LINK

...Simply download the package I linked above, extract it, then follow the directions in the OP. You're welcome. ;)