[Q]Gps or glonass?

Search This thread

g1b50n

Feb 7, 2012
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 5
Hi people i don't have n5 (collecting some gold for the device). It is possible to use only gps or only glonass system? I heard about glonass is much better and find faster than gps system. On menu settings it is only on/off toggle. It will be possible to getbtoggle like for data like 2g, 3g or mixed mode? Maybe it will be a kernel feature or sth.

just sent via tapatalk

Last edited:
rootSU is correct. You can't select one or the other... They work together to give you better accuracy and coverage.
GPS has 31 satellite's in orbit.
Glonass has 24 satellite's in orbit.
Therefore if you could use glonass independently your coverage wouldn't be as strong as GPS and since it was designed by Russia, glonass is more useful in northern latitudes.
The nice thing is since they work together your device is able to be pinned by 55 satellite's, instead of either 31 or 24 satellite's and if your in an area where GPS is stuck or blocked, the device will switch to glonass.

Reactions: g1b50n and danarama

g1b50n

Feb 7, 2012
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 5
Thanks guys for responding and wrote what i want to know. I have bad experience with my old htc desire and its very slow gps searching (some fixes not work). Best regards

just sent via tapatalk

lukesan

May 1, 2009
Thanks guys for responding and wrote what i want to know. I have bad experience with my old htc desire and its very slow gps searching (some fixes not work). Best regards

just sent via tapatalk

The funny thing that I see with GPS TEST etc is that after a minute or so you only see the US GPS sats. Seems that it uses Glonass to lock quicker and when the GPS signal is getting worse it will use Glonass to help.
I've also read this on a Sony paper
'To save power, the GLONASS receiver is only activated in problematic locations, such as in an urban environment with high rise buildings. Therefore, if you are in an open sky environment where there are enough GPS satellites available to calculate a good accuracy position, GLONASS will automatically be switched off temporarily to enhance the battery lifetime.

So the next time you’re having problems getting a fix on your location, use an Xperia™ smartphone supporting GLONASS to get faster and more accurate location information.'
http://developer.sonymobile.com/knowledge-base/technologies/glonass/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    rootSU is correct. You can't select one or the other... They work together to give you better accuracy and coverage.
    GPS has 31 satellite's in orbit.
    Glonass has 24 satellite's in orbit.
    Therefore if you could use glonass independently your coverage wouldn't be as strong as GPS and since it was designed by Russia, glonass is more useful in northern latitudes.
    The nice thing is since they work together your device is able to be pinned by 55 satellite's, instead of either 31 or 24 satellite's and if your in an area where GPS is stuck or blocked, the device will switch to glonass.