compiler help. running out of memory

Search This thread
hi there

im trying to compile AOSP systemimage for android 7.1.2 r4 and i seem to have worked the first compilation errors due to flex being out of date and not maintained in the repo.

But now jack is destroying my memory. i read that nougat could be compiled with 4gb ram and im sure you can but how.

some of the things i have done....

export jack arguments
export java heap options
made a huge swapfile
using ccache

the build gets to 40% before the memory starts hemhoraging. I persistantly perform the jack tricks and hit make again but it will only go 20 more compilation counters before stopping again and theres no way i can keep that up.

short of buying and replacing the ddr ram in my laptop is there any thing else i can do?

Last edited:
I was able to finally figure out how to use mma and i am currently building the system.img one apk x library x binutil at a time. I also changed my device mk so it could make sparse images and made snod after compiling system/extra/ext4_utils. Its really time consuming and resetting jack rarely works but restarting the pc seems to get it farther. Of course this is only a problem when compiliing apks. My phone doesnt seem to have the same problem compiling apks when i can get the ide to do it. I have been trying to compile apks on android studio for a year and cant get past the java lang class not found error. I have it pointed to the right place and ive followed every forum fix i can find but no go

Can someone help me with adding a tunable extra partition. well maybe not tunable but static. i want to be able to mount and unmount a second partition on an sd card that could vary in size.

i have tried doing this with my fstab.cv1 in m6 boot.img but no go. i get boot loop or stuck on logo screen. Even messing around with init.rc screwed me up