[GUIDE][18th Dec][4Noobs] Rooting Xperia Play Below .62

Search This thread

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Before we start you must be on a firmware lower than xxx.62 (Settings > About Phone > Build Number).

OK lets begin.

First you will need to download some software.

OK now for the easy bit. :p

1. Disable your AntiVirus as essentially the way you root this phone is via a virus for android 2.3.4. (anti-virus software will delete it).
  2. Turn on USB debugging on your phone. (Settings > Applications > Development > Usb Debugging)
  3. Install SuperOneClick and run it.
  4. Press root. (make sure the exploit is on Zergrush or auto) After a few minutes superoneclick will popup with a message box saying something along the lines of "success, would you like to check su"
  5. Press "yes" it should then return another message box saying "su access granted" or "phone rooted". At this point your phone is most likely rooted. To confirm it read below.
  6. To confirm if your phone is rooted (even though superoneclick just has) download any app that requires root (Root Explorer, Titanium Backup etc.) then if your rooted it will say superuser access requested
  7. Press yes to allow.
Congrats Your Xperia Play (Pre .62 Firmware) IS NOW ROOTED! thanks to the developers of XDA for the zergrush exploit.

Last edited:

chabbe11

Oct 27, 2009
Could be good for those not knowing that .62 fw isn't rootable using the simple methods. Keep up the good work!

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Could be good for those not knowing that .62 fw isn't rootable using the simple methods. Keep up the good work!
yh just noticed a screw up in my title as this doesn't work on .62 only on firmwares below .62 , .title fixed now

Had these tutorials for a while on my site but as mentioned, i am going to develop and mess around with my site so links may break :D

Lordomn

Sep 15, 2012
somewhere in arkansas
not trying to get off topic but I had a bad experience when I was trying to upgrade last year & with no PC it was even worse... but its over & done with. "free at last"

Sent from my R800x

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
PM
zhimura said:
never mind,I'm so thankful of ur help. now I'm tried to do ur guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2054495. but superoneclick is not responding after shell rooting #7.
in that guide u not mention when the device connect to pc/laptop.
this the screenshot
root.jpg

what will I do?
do you have the drivers installed? what phone do you have? X/I/A/ etc? Android version? is it .62 or higher?

zhimura

Jan 3, 2013
I'm tried to do that step but superoneclick is not responding after shell rooting #7.
what will I do?

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
I'm tried to do that step but superoneclick is not responding after shell rooting #7.
what will I do?
if you can't be bothered to answer the questions i asked in the previous post then i can't be bothered to help you root your phone.

do you have the drivers installed? what phone do you have? X/I/A/ etc? Android version? is it .62 or higher?

zhimura

Jan 3, 2013
if you can't be bothered to answer the questions i asked in the previous post then i can't be bothered to help you root your phone.

do you have the drivers installed? yes, pc companion was installed
what phone do you have? X/I/A/ etc? SE xplay
Android version? 2.3.4
is it .62 or higher? .42 is lower

Abcent

Apr 29, 2010
Help..?

I unlocked my bootloader from your other tut via sony unlock key and fastboot but don't have a way to confirm if it unlocked it or not.. I am on a R800x Verizon Wireless 2.3.4 and 4.0.2.E.0.57 and this root method stalls at #7 and then stops responding.. Is this tut too old..? If you could point me in the right direction or tell me how to tell if my bootloader is unlocked or not.. If it isn't I assume this won't work.. Also not 100% sure I have the right drivers since they are supplied but I have everything up to date as far as I know..

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Unlock root is more faster and more easy to use! But good post

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Link..?

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
I unlocked my bootloader from your other tut via sony unlock key and fastboot but don't have a way to confirm if it unlocked it or not.. I am on a R800x Verizon Wireless 2.3.4 and 4.0.2.E.0.57 and this root method stalls at #7 and then stops responding.. Is this tut too old..? If you could point me in the right direction or tell me how to tell if my bootloader is unlocked or not.. If it isn't I assume this won't work.. Also not 100% sure I have the right drivers since they are supplied but I have everything up to date as far as I know..

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Link..?

Why would you use this root method if your bootloader is unlocked? also if u can get in fastboot mode and flash a file then your bootloader is unlocked.

Here is a guide to root your phone with a unlocked bootloader.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2054504

Never heard of unlock root although you can easily find it by googling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before we start you must be on a firmware lower than xxx.62 (Settings > About Phone > Build Number).

OK lets begin.

First you will need to download some software.

OK now for the easy bit. :p

1. Disable your AntiVirus as essentially the way you root this phone is via a virus for android 2.3.4. (anti-virus software will delete it).
    2. Turn on USB debugging on your phone. (Settings > Applications > Development > Usb Debugging)
    3. Install SuperOneClick and run it.
    4. Press root. (make sure the exploit is on Zergrush or auto) After a few minutes superoneclick will popup with a message box saying something along the lines of "success, would you like to check su"
    5. Press "yes" it should then return another message box saying "su access granted" or "phone rooted". At this point your phone is most likely rooted. To confirm it read below.
    6. To confirm if your phone is rooted (even though superoneclick just has) download any app that requires root (Root Explorer, Titanium Backup etc.) then if your rooted it will say superuser access requested
    7. Press yes to allow.
    Congrats Your Xperia Play (Pre .62 Firmware) IS NOW ROOTED! thanks to the developers of XDA for the zergrush exploit.