Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][Root][OFFICIAL] AdAway v4.3.0 :: [2019-11-01]

595 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,831

Post Reply Email Thread
7th May 2018, 07:06 PM |#11001  
Thanks Meter: 141

More
Testing 4.01. Love the updated UI. I'd recommend allowing the initial help card to be swiped off the screen.
7th May 2018, 07:13 PM |#11002  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is anybody else having issues blocking YouTube adds when accessing via chrome? Used to be blocked but I've been getting adds lately - I'm blocking adds everywhere else (see - XDA site) so I'm a bit perplexed if I have a setting wrong somewhere
8th May 2018, 01:21 AM |#11003  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,976

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torngarsak

Is anybody else having issues blocking YouTube adds when accessing via chrome? Used to be blocked but I've been getting adds lately - I'm blocking adds everywhere else (see - XDA site) so I'm a bit perplexed if I have a setting wrong somewhere

AdAway does not specifically block YouTube Ads.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
8th May 2018, 01:51 AM |#11004  
Thanks Meter: 2,410

More
Quote:

I would try using Firefox with the Ublock origin add on and see if they are blocked. Google (chrome) has a vested interest in forcing the ads.

You could also see if DNS Logging gives you anything to block when using chrome.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
8th May 2018, 02:28 AM |#11005  
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

AdAway does not specifically block YouTube Ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

I would try using Firefox with the Ublock origin add on and see if they are blocked. Google (chrome) has a vested interest in forcing the ads.

You could also see if DNS Logging gives you anything to block when using chrome.

I don't think DNS logging will help. I believe that YouTube (ie google) push the pre-video ads from the same servers the video is pushed from. So blocking one will also block the other. I personally use NewPipe to access youtube video's without the ads, but that wont help your in-browser ads (ie within chrome); ie the actual question.

To block within a browser, I think something like the above may be your only route. I am a little surprised that I can block youtube ads with a chrome extension on my desktop and there isn't something similar for the mobile chrome.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
8th May 2018, 05:09 AM |#11006  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Oh Wow, TIL. I guess I'll go ahead and give Firefox another try since chrome moved away from the address bar at the bottom setup anyway.
8th May 2018, 07:05 AM |#11007  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Hi,
is it always required to reboot phone after updating hosts file?
Thanks
8th May 2018, 07:11 AM |#11008  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorog

Hi,
Thanks

Yes it is . As then only the new hosts files can merge properly with existing and update the hosts files

So for its proper working yes need to re boot or else it will stop working and you will start seeing ads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aghoraswami For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aghoraswami Ad-Free
8th May 2018, 07:24 AM |#11009  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

AdAway should work on both Mobile and WiFi. Unless you have an issue as described by @ktmom

As for how well it worked previously as compared to now, its an "arms race" to block ads, in that the advertisers are probably wiser and more pro-active to the ad blockers, and work harder to defeat them; eg change their hosts more often. I noticed ads slipping through, so I expanded my host sources from the default handful to 30 host sources. My main problem is that I may of gone too far, and am blocking most of the images on a lot of web sites.

I checked the host files content and it is ok.
(Filled when enabled and empty when not)
And I am talking about after my OS upgrade so from one day to another I got still lots of ads with Adaway so can't be anything with "arms race"
Could be though I added extra sources to host previously but can't remember now which
8th May 2018, 07:43 AM |#11010  
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranQ

I got still lots of ads with Adaway so can't be anything with "arms race"

That's exactly what I would expect. Have you got it on an auto update? some ads will slip through as the ad-servers (ie hosts) are changed intra-day. ie the "arms-race"

If you see an add on a web page, re-download your host list and reboot (I personally don't need a reboot to see the effects, your phone may act differently differently), then go back to the web page to see if that has cleared the ads.
8th May 2018, 09:01 AM |#11011  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,350

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorog

Hi,
Thanks

No. It depends on phone and Android version but with most current setups it's actually not required. You will probably have to restart the browser etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)