By DrGit, Senior Member on 6th April 2012, 05:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th April 2012, 03:04 PM |#31  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,636

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch1025

Distribution wise, Ubuntu and Debian are not the same.

I am aware of this. Neither is LMDE and debian. Ubuntu is a debian based os that is modded to have a simpler UI. It also has a whole bunch of tweaks that makes it really slow in comparison. LMDE still has a Gnome GUI and apt so it is very similar to Ubuntu but just a lot faster and stabler.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

7th April 2012, 06:37 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 267

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusant

I am aware of this. Neither is LMDE and debian. Ubuntu is a debian based os that is modded to have a simpler UI. It also has a whole bunch of tweaks that makes it really slow in comparison. LMDE still has a Gnome GUI and apt so it is very similar to Ubuntu but just a lot faster and stabler.

I still prefer Ubuntu and Backtrack over LMDE. I didn't like Linux Mint when I tried it. That's just my personal opinion.
8th April 2012, 12:25 AM |#33  
Ventura
Thanks Meter: 393

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xopher.hunter

I am getting hung up on step 3, I have your patches extracted to ~/Epic and everytime I run the command I receive directory not found when I type script/patch-kernel . ~/Epic/patches

Im already in ~/android_kernel_samsung_victory$

Edit: I have never compiled a kernel before so sorry if I am missing something obvious but so far this is pretty fun lol

Sent from my MIUI V4 Epic 4G via Tapatalk 2 beta 5

Really want to try this but can't get past this no matter what I change the directories to
8th April 2012, 02:45 AM |#34  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 415

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xopher.hunter

Really want to try this but can't get past this no matter what I change the directories to

Maybe try substituting ~/ for the concrete path to your home directory e.g. /home/yourusername/pathtofiles

Idk I've had problems be fixed like that before, just a suggestion.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasskull666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thomasskull666 Ad-Free
8th April 2012, 03:32 AM |#35  
Ventura
Thanks Meter: 393

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasskull666

Maybe try substituting ~/ for the concrete path to your home directory e.g. /home/yourusername/pathtofiles

Idk I've had problems be fixed like that before, just a suggestion.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

It worked thank yu unfortunately he just updated the guide lol with a prebuilt kernel. However I am happy I got my feet wet with compiling from source
9th April 2012, 08:49 AM |#36  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch1025

I still prefer Ubuntu and Backtrack over LMDE. I didn't like Linux Mint when I tried it. That's just my personal opinion.

There are a million good reasons to keep bt on a liveUSB laying around the house and zero good reasons to install it. They maintain outdated libraries in their repos so they don't break the included cracking tools, and are too deviated from base Ubuntu to use the regular community repos. Bt has tons of redundant tools that all accomplish the exact same tasks. You're better off installing a general use distro and just grabbing nmap or airtools or whatever from sourceforge.
9th April 2012, 12:23 PM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
anyone tried cinnamon shell?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
9th April 2012, 06:13 PM |#38  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,636

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwp16

anyone tried cinnamon shell?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

I hate it. I use MATE

9th April 2012, 06:48 PM |#39  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 209

Donate to Me
More
Where did this GNOME 3 vs. Unity vs. MATE vs. me discussion come from?
I hate to be the forum police, but please stay on topic.

It appears I'm still the only person actually running this, so until things get easier - preconfigured SD image, better kernel, guide, screenshots, etc - I'd much prefer feedback to speculation. I'm working with bbelos to fix the kernel 3.x audio, WiFi, and sleep issues, so stay tuned.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrGit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrGit Ad-Free
12th April 2012, 04:09 AM |#40  
Flag Silverado
Thanks Meter: 4

More
So straight up, I'm not a linux guru by any means. But everything worked wonderfully till this command:
sudo cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /media/linux/usr/bin

It gave a file not found error, so I kind of skipped it. Not sure what its importance is, anyway. *shrug*

Next up was this command:
sudo tar xvf /path/to/modules.txz -C /media/linux/lib/modules

I changed the /path to something that exists, but I couldn't figure out how to make the modules file work. I tried renaming it to modules.txz, removing the .bz2 extension and so on. It just said that it wasn't a bz2 file and gave me an error. Any help from one of you smart guys?

Also, when making the linux partition, should it be a primary or extended partition?
12th April 2012, 06:11 AM |#41  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 209

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterfreak

sudo cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /media/linux/usr/bin

Do "sudo apt-get install qemu-arm-static".

Quote:

sudo tar xvf /path/to/modules.txz -C /media/linux/lib/modules

You don't need these, the WiFi driver doesn't work anyway.

Quote:

Also, when making the linux partition, should it be a primary or extended partition?

I usually do primary, but I don't think it will have trouble if it's extended. Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't tried it. As long as it's the second partition (and not FAT) it should work.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrGit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrGit Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot, kernel, linux, rom, ubuntu

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)