[How-to] S-Off ext SD Fix (With Screenshots)

Search This thread

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
Guys, noticed a few people having trouble with the sd card fix so I ran it and took screenshots. Each screenshot is what you should see after running the command listed above the screenshot. (I am not going to post screenshots of how to open the command prompt.. if you made it this far you should already know)

Disclaimer: This formats your SD Card.

This requires busybox. I utilized the busybox installer found at https://play.google.com/store/apps/...usybox&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

1. adb shell
img1.png

2. busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1
img2.png

3. type the letter "o"
img3.png

4. type the letter "w"
img4.png

5. busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1
img5.png

6. Type the letter "n"
img6.png

7. Type the letter "p" for primary
img7.png

8. Type the number "1" for first partition
img8.png

9. Press the enter key for default size.
img9.png

10. Press the enter key for default size.
img10.png

11. Type the letter "w"
img11.png

12. busybox mkfs.vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
img12.png

Edit: Step 13.. On your phone, click on the Notification that states "Blank SD Card" and choose format, the card should then format and mount properly.

This is my first How-to so if something does not make sense please let me know. Hope this helps guys.

Last edited:

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Nicely done. I'll add this to my FAQ thread. Great guide.

Sent from my Htc Rezound
Follow me on twitter @lmrtech

partizan1981

Feb 27, 2012
Somebody tipped me off to the "adb shell" and then proceed portion prior to this walkthrough, but I know others struggled with this issue as well. I'm sure they'll appreciate this info, thanks! :)

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
Im getting this after entering the letter "w"
fdisk: WARNING: rereading partition table failed, kernel still uses old table: D
evice or resource busy

Hmm, never got that before. Do you have your device mounted as Charge only? Also may reboot the device see if that resolves it.. Last would be to run it through the terminal emulator on the phone (that is how I fixed mine the first time, its a pain but it worked).

When doing it through the terminal emulator on the phone though you do not need to use the adb shell command, just the busybox commands.

nnnnr14

Apr 19, 2012
Lagrange
www.youtube.com
Hmm, never got that before. Do you have your device mounted as Charge only? Also may reboot the device see if that resolves it.. Last would be to run it through the terminal emulator on the phone (that is how I fixed mine the first time, its a pain but it worked).

When doing it through the terminal emulator on the phone though you do not need to use the adb shell command, just the busybox commands.

what radio are you using? like are you on the new leak or the old one..

hoebag

Aug 16, 2010
i i followed the instructions to the t but i never got the root@android...my prompt is sh-3.2#, i didnt have any errors or anything but it still is not recognized when i plug it into the computer, i also tried it from the emulator on the phone and i get the warning about the kernel still uses old table, device or resource busy, any thoughts?

Last edited:

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
i i followed the instructions to the t but i never got the root@android...my prompt is sh-3.2#, i didnt have any errors or anything but it still is not recognized when i plug it into the computer, i also tried it from the emulator on the phone and i get the warning about the kernel still uses old table, device or resource busy, any thoughts?

Did you format the SD card at the end? Don't have a screenshot for that one since I had already got mine working but if no errors happened, you should be able to click on the notification that states "Blank SD Card" and choose format and it should format then mount.

Edit: Just modified OP for step 13.

Last edited:

hoebag

Aug 16, 2010
yes i did, my phone said the sd was blank and i formatted it, it said checking sd card, then preparing sd card, but when i plug it into the computer if only shows the internal sd card as a few kilobytes and no ext sd comes up, on my rom i open the camera and it says insert and ad card to use the camera

edit: just tried running it again and on the last step i get cant open /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 no such file or directory

Last edited:

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
yes i did, my phone said the sd was blank and i formatted it, it said checking sd card, then preparing sd card, but when i plug it into the computer if only shows the internal sd card as a few kilobytes and no ext sd comes up, on my rom i open the camera and it says insert and ad card to use the camera

edit: just tried running it again and on the last step i get cant open /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 no such file or directory

Strange, the last command is what makes the file system for mmcblk1p1.. does recovery or fastboot recognize the sd?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

May 3, 2011
phoenix,az
im actually having the same problem right now.... im running the 2.01.605.11 firmware using scotts clean rom de 1.2 with the firmware patch. it wouldnt install anything onto the sd card so i rebooted to recovery unmounted sd card and remounted it. enabled usb-ms and made a back up of my sd card, rebooted and tried the fix and i get the same issues the other guy does....

hoebag

Aug 16, 2010
Strange, the last command is what makes the file system for mmcblk1p1.. does recovery or fastboot recognize the sd?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

it seems that recovery sees it, windows certainly does when i format it using windows, the phone just cant see it, and the rom im using isnt helping as the settings to storage are force closing so i cant get into them but the camera still says to insert and sd card, im going to try and format the card using my thunderbolt real quick and see if that helps, ill post back and let you know

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

i have no idea what i really did to fix it but its working now, i put the card in my computer, formatted it with windows, copied all of my backed up files to the card and put it back in the phone, it still didnt read it but recovery did so i flashed newts onexxx rc2 rom and bam it read everything from the first boot, internal and external cards, must have been the rom

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
im actually having the same problem right now.... im running the 2.01.605.11 firmware using scotts clean rom de 1.2 with the firmware patch. it wouldnt install anything onto the sd card so i rebooted to recovery unmounted sd card and remounted it. enabled usb-ms and made a back up of my sd card, rebooted and tried the fix and i get the same issues the other guy does....

I would try a couple things if you haven't already gotten this resolved. If showing in recovery I would try to re-apply the firmware patch. If that does not work I would try a clean install of your ROM once more. Looks like the other issue was resolved by a different ROM, so it would be a suggestion (if the card shows in recovery) to try at least a clean install of the same ROM.

Dude. I dont know how to thank you enough for this post.

Not a problem man, just trying to do what I can to help out the community.

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
Still no go

I have tried again tonight to give the sd card fix a try. Formatted sd card with windows and ran fix. After typing w the outcome was Fdisk: WARNING rereading partition table failed: Kernel still uses old table: device or resource busy
Hope that give an idea for an answer.. Thanks
FYI..my phone won't install busybox (Stericson) cause of sd card not mounted or not reading. Had to use jrummy's. I tried to force busy box to work through my rom with titanium but that didn't work.

My sd card works in ra recovery. When I go into root explorer sdcard2 is in read only. Is there a way to change that?

Last edited:

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
I have tried again tonight to give the sd card fix a try. Formatted sd card with windows and ran fix. After typing w the outcome was Fdisk: WARNING rereading partition table failed: Kernel still uses old table: device or resource busy
Hope that give an idea for an answer.. Thanks
FYI..my phone won't install busybox (Stericson) cause of sd card not mounted or not reading. Had to use jrummy's. I tried to force busy box to work through my rom with titanium but that didn't work.

My sd card works in ra recovery. When I go into root explorer sdcard2 is in read only. Is there a way to change that?

Hmm shows in recovery but R/O in root explorer.. I would try a couple things. First, if it shows in recovery, what firmware are you? If your on the GB firmware I would try the patch released (you can find it in almost all ICS ROM posts). If that does not work I would next try to format the SD Card in recovery, (not sure if that will work but I have heard that formatting in Windows fixed some so its worth a try). Last I would try flashing a new ROM (not saying you have to stay on it but another fix I have heard is new ROM).

If none of those work, I would grab another SD Card and try running to fix to see if maybe there is an issue with the SD card.

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
Hmm shows in recovery but R/O in root explorer.. I would try a couple things. First, if it shows in recovery, what firmware are you? If your on the GB firmware I would try the patch released (you can find it in almost all ICS ROM posts). If that does not work I would next try to format the SD Card in recovery, (not sure if that will work but I have heard that formatting in Windows fixed some so its worth a try). Last I would try flashing a new ROM (not saying you have to stay on it but another fix I have heard is new ROM).

If none of those work, I would grab another SD Card and try running to fix to see if maybe there is an issue with the SD card.

i have success.. i'm guessing the main fix was flashing newts rc2. that was the original rom i was on when i did the s-off. i lost my data on sd after using the external sd card fix. so didn't have a back up. i had cleanrom 3.7 on laptop and that is what i flashed to try to fix the first time(different rom which i thought would fix). so glad to be normal again.. exept with data loss which i didn't have much.. thanks for you patience and help
i can't believe the fix was that simple..what a trip..lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys, noticed a few people having trouble with the sd card fix so I ran it and took screenshots. Each screenshot is what you should see after running the command listed above the screenshot. (I am not going to post screenshots of how to open the command prompt.. if you made it this far you should already know)

This requires busybox. I utilized the busybox installer found at https://play.google.com/store/apps/...usybox&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

1. adb shell
    img1.png

img2.png

3. type the letter "o"
    img3.png

4. type the letter "w"
    img4.png

img5.png

6. Type the letter "n"
    img6.png

img7.png

img8.png

img9.png

img10.png

11. Type the letter "w"
    img11.png

img12.png

Edit: Step 13.. On your phone, click on the Notification that states "Blank SD Card" and choose format, the card should then format and mount properly.

This is my first How-to so if something does not make sense please let me know. Hope this helps guys.

1. adb shell
    img1.png

img2.png

3. type the letter "o"
    img3.png

4. type the letter "w"
    img4.png

img5.png

6. Type the letter "n"
    img6.png

img7.png

img8.png

img9.png

img10.png

11. Type the letter "w"
    img11.png

img12.png

perfect how to! thanks
    Not bad, beats the method that I posted! Might have to try this rather than defaulting everything to internal. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my A100 using xda app-developers app

I loaded this HBOOT http://unlimited.io/content/files/hboots/vigor/ICS_3.14.605.5/

following these instructions

fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip jb_hboot.zip

BTW I am a noob but got help here to figure it out.