Moto X for 0.01¢ June 9 off contract

Search This thread

savini72

Oct 16, 2010
Boston
so what if i get one for 2 weeks and then decide i dont want it? do i just send back a customized Moto X with no other charges? seems a little sketchy to me

alpha-niner64

Mar 7, 2011
so what if i get one for 2 weeks and then decide i dont want it? do i just send back a customized Moto X with no other charges? seems a little sketchy to me

It's possible they would require you to ship it back to them on your dime. IMO, this is completely fair. The penny puts your CC on their account. If people decide to take advantage of this for fraudulent reasons, Moto has your CC on their database and can easily charge you the full amount. This also moves units as well and gains exposure for the phone(sounds like their 500M marketing budget was cut). Some people may be convinced to keep the phone because spending the effort to ship back the phone may be too dissuading.

For our benefit, we get to test-run a phone at no risk for 2 weeks and we just have to send it back if we're done. That sounds good to me. Of course if they provide pre-paid labels to send back, then it really is no-risk for us.

Last edited:

savini72

Oct 16, 2010
Boston
It's possible they would require you to ship it back to them on your dime. IMO, this is completely fair. The penny puts your CC on their account. If people decide to take advantage of this for fraudulent reasons, Moto has your CC on their database and can easily charge you the full amount. This also moves units as well and gains exposure for the phone(sounds like their 500M marketing budget was cut). Some people may be convinced to keep the phone because spending the effort to ship back the phone may be too dissuading.

For our benefit, we get to test-run a phone at no risk for 2 weeks and we just have to send it back if we're done. That sounds good to me. Of course if they provide pre-paid labels to send back, then it really is no-risk for us.

Thats what im thinking. i want to try out a Wooden back before i use my code! if i cant get one, try it out and send it back for $.01, thats a no brainer. or even let my girlfriend try it out for 2 weeks and not use her GS3 that she always complains about...(Dont want her to get a iph*ne)

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
No charge for shipping or the return either (you contact FedEx and they send the return packaging and can pick it up as well).

Motorola knows people will attempt to scam them for phones with this, if you read the FAQ for this Try Before You Buy offer they make it clear they can and will remotely brick the phones if you attempt to rip 'em off (not sure there's any actual way to stop that, even with using custom ROMs, etc, I have no idea).

If you do decide to keep one they'll attempt to charge the credit card the full price, and if that doesn't go through they'll then push lawyers on you so, I'm pretty sure they're covered.

Worse comes to worse they can simply push the IMEI to the national blacklist and the phone is dead regardless.

I mean, for a penny, if they're willing to ship me one I'd love to try one out for a time, can just slide my T-Mobile SIM in it and I'm good to go.

<least till this Sprint/T-Mobile and now SoftBank crap gets resolved 'cause if it happens you can be damned sure they're going to kill the $30/month plan so many of us love...> :(

PunishedSnake

Apr 12, 2014
Fresno
Got my promo code I'd like my wife to try it out

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

She currently has a gs3 I hope it's faster

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
They are all out now.

Although if you're willing to put the full price on a credit card (instead of only "paying a penny") you can still try one out for 14 days and return it free if you want.

lisek99

Oct 3, 2012
They are all out now.

Although if you're willing to put the full price on a credit card (instead of only "paying a penny") you can still try one out for 14 days and return it free if you want.

I don't think you can return it if you buy it full price I think you can only exchange it for a different color option.

But anyway I was looking forward for this promotion as I can't stand my note 3 anymore because it's so laggy but when I woke up this morning all the codes were gone :(

If anyone has a spare one and willing to give it away for free I will gladly take it :)

makakalo

Aug 17, 2010
I don't think you can return it if you buy it full price I think you can only exchange it for a different color option.

I was able to return the X I bought during the black Friday promotion within 30 days (CA resident) with no penalty and free shipping. Maybe they've changed their policy since January.

Anyways, I ordered a blue/white/bamboo 32gb to try out. If the screen and camera are better than the one I had in December, I'll seriously consider keeping it. My nexus 4 has been struggling lately and I don't know if it'll make it to the X+1/Nexus 6(?) release in September.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

makakalo

Aug 17, 2010
So for some reason Motorola sent me another code that expires today. Here it is:
TESTDRIVE-GIYB-NYR2-BKW3-DBPX
Expiration:**11:59pm ET, June 10, 2014

Last edited:

illogic6

Jul 10, 2009
My order was put on hold for some reason and Motorola doesn't know why. Said they have a HUGE influx of orders on hold some special department is plowing through to process. Odd.
Did you get an email saying it was on hold or did you proactively have to contact CS to learn this? You'd think they'd be capable of handling a huge influx of orders at this point.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you so much, I'm gonna be doing that tomorrow and this couldn't be more clear! Thanks man [emoji1] and enjoy the moto X!

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Good luck, and just remember what I said above:

As soon as you install the custom recovery, before you do anything else, take the phone in your hand - while it's still in fastboot mode and still connected, don't disconnect it or anything else - and hit the Volume down button one time to highlight Recovery, then press Volume up to select it. If you don't do that, the recovery won't stick and you're stuck till you do it right. Phil is quite specific in his instructions and if you don't follow them precisely you get... well, stuck someplace. ;)

As soon as it confirms the recovery was flashed successfully, choose that option on the fastboot menu and select it - obviously you need to have that SuperSU already stored on the internal storage as well which is why you're jumping into recovery.
    lil bit late...

damn.....
    Had troubles with both my codes due to shipping address. Then the moto team offered me some money off plus an accessories coupon if I decided to buy instead of the penny promo. Either way, I still have 14 days to test it out compared to my gs3.

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Checked the moto site and my phone shipped last night. Arrives tomorrow! No e-mail notification was sent that it shipped. Moto needs to improve their e-communication with customers.
    Took mine out of the FedEx box and that's about it. Still sealed in it's little multicolored box. Tonight I will unbox and take pictures. Too busy hacking the Z2 to even mess with the Moto X.

BTW did you all see rumors about the Moto X=1?
    Moto-X-Plus-1-boot-animation.jpg

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/17/all...ld-be-preparing-for-a-september-launch-video/