[webtop] webtop2sd discussion (currently version 2.0.1)

Search This thread

UnCommonGrafx

Mar 5, 2011
Ya, me, too!!
As well, I did all on the webdock through a terminal emulator on the phone side.
I feel quite gratified that worked. :)
Now, to do the tethering work.

Ok... as well, gotta enable the ability to install other apps. This is getting quite interesting.

Sent from my BombDiggity MB860 using XDA Premium App

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Ok those command lines worked, and lxterminal is now avaiable, but an attempt to install synaptic spits out a list of unmet dependencies.

Shoudl I really force install or what?

Edit: An -f install command keeps trying to connect to 10.77.32.150, and failing. What am I missing?

Last edited:

perkz

Aug 24, 2007
Melbourne
Ok those command lines worked, and lxterminal is now avaiable, but an attempt to install synaptic spits out a list of unmet dependencies.

Shoudl I really force install or what?

Edit: An -f install command keeps trying to connect to 10.77.32.150, and failing. What am I missing?

your /etc/apt/sources.list is wrong. The default one has some internal motorola sources, you'll need to change it to ports.ubuntu.com

That said, when I was quickly trying to get apt working this morning every time I tried to install something it was telling me it had to remove half the system... including gnome...

Not really sure why it's doing that, and I'm at work so I don't have time at the moment to play around

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
No point fixinf the sounces list if, in fact, I wasn't supposed to need it. I won't change that many packages, that's sure to screw up the webtop enviroment.

So, what's up with that? xD

voidlogik

Mar 28, 2006
Roseville
for lxterminal, I just did the following:

grab the armel lxterminal deb from here. I just downloaded it through Webtop's firefox. It stores it in /sdcard/download/ or some such.

via ADB shell, I ran the following:

su
/usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
this logs you in as the webtop user, so all the path variables and stuff are set right. I figured it was easier than figuring out what PATH should be
cd /sdcard/download/ (or where you've put the .deb)
/usr/bin/dpkg -i --root=/osh lxterminal_0.1.3-2_armel.deb

Should complete with no errors. Once it's installed, the existing launcher on the AWN dock should work.
This worked like a charm for me. Thank you so much for getting this to work. Finally i can start to get thing working.

Last edited:

kanemari

Aug 13, 2010
Melbourne
@sogarth

sorry for breaking the first rule of fightclub XDA which is, never ask when something will be ready... but i was hoping that you mightve found a clue as to what is causing the app launch bar not to show up on my (and a few others) webtop builds through webtop2sd? its completely unusable at the moment unfortunately, and i would really like to jump on the testing bandwagon but am hamstrung by this.

did the ls.txt file i posted show anything out of the ordinary?

thanks.

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Its unuseable to everyone right now. Whoever gets AWN working, doesnt have LXTerminal. And if you get that to work, you have a messed up list of dependencies that stops you from installing everything =(

I guess we're all a bit hurried here because this is pretty much the project of our dreams lol.

It's important to notice that, contrary to most projects in this forum, this one doesn't have a team, but a single guy to cover all bases.

I feel sorry for you, Sogarth xD

perkz

Aug 24, 2007
Melbourne
I wouldn't say that. It's not finished, but it's not unusable.

Anyone with a bit of linux knowledge can get lxterminal working. Apt's messed up dependencies is probably due to motorola modifying some packages and ruining the apt cache.

You can still install stuff by downloading the .debs and using dpkg. It's just not as easy as using synaptic

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Well I don't know about dpkg, but apt-get isn't working. Is this another method? If so, please elaborate.

Aboutthe dependencies, I'm quite sure it has something to do with the script not being fully ready yet, since the previous version (without moving to sd card) had no dependencies problem on package installation.

Sogarth

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2006
It's important to notice that, contrary to most projects in this forum, this one doesn't have a team, but a single guy to cover all bases.

I feel sorry for you, Sogarth xD

I'd be more than happy to take on more people... but my standards are pretty high. I can provide more details if anybody cares. :p

Well I don't know about dpkg, but apt-get isn't working. Is this another method? If so, please elaborate.

Aboutthe dependencies, I'm quite sure it has something to do with the script not being fully ready yet, since the previous version (without moving to sd card) had no dependencies problem on package installation.

The previous version was very monolithic and not very configurable. I consciously made a decision to rework everything in a way that would be a lot clearer to users, one that would let them do things the way they want, but with a lot of flexibility down the line as well.

For example: that previous batch file operated via a (y/n) method to ask if you wanted to install packages. If I get to the point where I have 20 packages validated to work well (since some of them will require additional configuration beyond simply just installing them), do you really want to sit there and hit (y/n) for all 20? Ick! I'd much rather give a decent UI for that. Let alone what happens once you've already installed it, since that script pretty much forced you to have to reinstall everything from scratch.

As an update on where things are: I do have a basic UI written for Python/Gtk (although I'll probably rewrite part of it to work in a more flexible way), it's currently fixing the APT source list, and it can verify and install packages. I'll be cleaning it up a bit more, and should be able to throw something up tonight or tomorrow.

P.S. Jeez, dealing with Python/Gtk is worlds different from Android in Java.

Reactions: Viamonte

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Umm I see...

Myself, I'll probably be satisfied with this something you throw up tonight or tomorrow, since all I want is open office, chromium and a basic image editing tool, which doesnt sum up to enough packages to need an organizing UI, but I see where you're getting at.

Yesterday I read a timeline for Snapdragon processors on Engadget, mentioning 2.5ghz quad cores on 2013. Can you even begin to imagine what you'll be able to do with a lapdock powered by that? :D

Sogarth

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2006
Umm I see...

Myself, I'll probably be satisfied with this something you throw up tonight or tomorrow, since all I want is open office, chromium and a basic image editing tool, which doesnt sum up to enough packages to need an organizing UI, but I see where you're getting at.

Ah, but you see, some of those programs need some more tweaking because webtop did some silly things. It should be a simple task, but sometimes it's not. Depressing, that.

Yesterday I read a timeline for Snapdragon processors on Engadget, mentioning 2.5ghz quad cores on 2013. Can you even begin to imagine what you'll be able to do with a lapdock powered by that? :D

I don't need to imagine. I've seen (in person) some of what they've been doing with Tegra 3, and that's mid-next year. :p

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
I've seen a bit of webtop's sillyness. OpenOffice, for example, on the debian mod, used to be like cat and mouse with the notifications bar on the top. As soon as you opened OO, the bar would begin jumping like a frog on LSD.

Umm... Kal-el is quad core, but It's only 1.5ghz. And besides, after personally veryfing the differences between current-gen tegra 2 x oposition (i.e., Atrix and SG2), I don't know if I quite trust NVidia with the mobile market anymore. For a dual core, our processor is... well... lazy. Browsing is frame-skipped, Galaxy on Fire 2 has performance issues, and, as is well known, video decoding is very limited. I known Tegra 3 is SUPPOSED to run high profile, and output at 25xx x 16xx, still, I had also heard Atrix would be an epic monster, and it's more like a mid-dungeon boss.

But I digress. xD

cmcnabb

May 12, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Its unuseable to everyone right now. Whoever gets AWN working, doesnt have LXTerminal. And if you get that to work, you have a messed up list of dependencies that stops you from installing everything =(

I actually have awn-manager and lxterminal both working. The issue with awn-manager (at least in my case) was a bunch of bad symlinks under /var/lib/python on the copied /osh partition. fixing those fixed awn-manager.

lxterminal has always 'just worked' for me, so I'm not sure what people's issues with that are.

For installing stuff, I just download the individual dpkgs (and their dependencies) and install them manually.... same as I do on the production linux servers I manage at work.

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
I actually have awn-manager and lxterminal both working. The issue with awn-manager (at least in my case) was a bunch of bad symlinks under /var/lib/python on the copied /osh partition. fixing those fixed awn-manager.

lxterminal has always 'just worked' for me, so I'm not sure what people's issues with that are.

For installing stuff, I just download the individual dpkgs (and their dependencies) and install them manually.... same as I do on the production linux servers I manage at work.

How do you manually install dpkgs and dependencies?

cmcnabb

May 12, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
I search https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/armel/ for the package I'm looking for, then when you find that package you will be shown all the dependencies. download the package to /sdcard/download , then use dpkg to install (as root)

for dependencies, I check first to see if it isalready installed and then if not download it as well

to check if a package is already installed:

dpkg --root=/osh -l <packagename>

if already installed, it will show "ii" as the status

then once everything is downloaded, install them all at once.

dpkg --root=/osh -i <filename>.dpkg <dependency1>.dpkg <dependency2>.dpkg and so on

Last edited:
Reactions: SoberGuy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: Please keep this thread restricted to Atrix-specific and general issues. Threads for other devices are referenced at the top of the main webtop2sd thread.

Discuss webtop2sd here (the other thread will be kept clean for announcements, FAQs, etc.).

Before you report an issue:

Make sure it's not on the Known Issues list first!.

Basic debugging, since these are going to be questions I ask anyways:

• If you hit problems with the Android webtop2sd application, you'll need to tell me the error, and give me the last few lines of adb logcat. Run this adb command, which will filter out most of the unimportant lines:
      • adb logcat ActivityManager:i AndroidRuntime:i webtop2sd:i *:s
    • Are you actually booting from your SD card? You can find this out by checking the Diagnostics tab in webtop2sd, under "Currently mounted webtops". If mmcblk1p12 isn't listed, you're not booted from your SD card. If this is the case, report what ROM you're running from.
    • Is the webtop configurator application showing, but not running successfully? If so, plug your device into your dock and run a terminal (either locally or adbWireless + adb shell) and run the following:
      • su
      • /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
      • export DISPLAY=:0
      • python /usr/local/bin/webtop-configurator.pyc
      I'll need whatever output shows up.
    Alien Rom has busybox built in as far as I know. that may be stopping it from installing in webtop2sd folder?

Edit: I checked my system folder and I have no webtop2sd there. therefore... no busybox. How would I specifically reinstall busybox? Or go about obtaining webtop2sd folder?

If you haven't already done so, go to the Android Market and buy Root Explorer. After it is installed open it.

Follow system > etc > menu key > New Folder
    It will tell you it can't because it is mounted as read-only, touch the button at the top of screen which says "Mount R/W". Then menu again and New Folder. Type "webtop2sd" no quotes and make sure no caps.

Then download from the Android Market "Busybox Installer" and run it. Install to either location available, but make a note of the location.

Then open Root Explorer again. Navigate to the busybox you just installed. A long press brings up an options menu, choose copy. Navigate to your /system/etc/webtop2sd folder. A long press will bring up the options menu, choose paste.

Now busybox is installed in the correct location.

Reboot the phone. Run webtop2sd, check the Diagnostics tab for mounted webtop partitions.
    this same thing happened to me on 2.3.6 wet dream. reinstalling rom now doing full wipe and fastboot wipes

any new news on this issue .. Thanks

It works. I guarantee it.

Running on Wet Dream 1.1.0, webtop 2.3.6 with webtop2sd, webtopscripts have been run.

Installed xfce4-panel, installed open-office.

1. From fastboot - ran MFW-2.0 batch script to do full wipe, and for ****s and giggles, I did ctrl-c break out of batch file, ran moto-fastboot -w. (yea, yea don't need to do it, but I do)
    2. Boot into recovery flash ROM. Wipe cache partition.
    3. Boot into ROM. Setup Blur. (yea, yea don't need to do it, but I do)
    4. Install quick reboot from Market, reboot. During reboot go into fastboot. Moto-fastboot install webtop 2.3.6 image, Reboot back into ROM
    5. Install my Root explorer from Market
    6. Install BusyBox Installer by JRummy16 from Market. Ran app installed busybox into /system/bin.
    7. Open Root explorer Go to /system/etc mount r/w create webtop2sd directory
    8. Go to /system/bin copy busybox over to /system/etc/webtop2sd
    9. Still in root explorer, go to /system/bin and /system/xbin and delete su
    10. Can't use quick reboot to reboot into recovery because su has been deleted. Wherever your adb is located, run adb reboot recovery.
    11. Install the superuser app from the zip I have attached. Reboot.
    12. Open some other app besides webtop2sd that needs root. Verify root is working.
    13. Install webtop2sd.
    14. Open webtop2sd, hopefully no FC's. Do the webtop2sd partitioning and copy webtop over to new partition on sdcard.

Disclaimer: This works for me damn near every time. Only thing I know for sure is webtop2sd is picky as hell about where su is and busybox. Once I figured that out, with lots and lots of trial and error, it works almost always. These are the steps I use everytime. I have been on three ROMs the past week. All have webtop working on external sdcard this way.
    btw, this looks to be a problem that's happening on 2.3.4. I'll probably need somebody to help me track down what the problem is there (dpkg-deb seems to be failing for some reason).

Version 0.9.1 has been uploaded, with support for SmarTone-Vodafone 4.5.2, a.k.a. the HKTW 2.3.4 build.

Enjoy!

P.S. I was going to write that quick and dirty version of the webtop companion app, but I've had a few people asking me for one that would work with Gingerbread....
    Quick update:

I have something that's more or less releasable, albeit under a BETA tag. I've only really tested it under 4.1.57 (I'll need to do a quick test under 4.1.26, then update to 4.1.87), and some of the functionality I was hoping for seems to need more work. The big problem is that right now, my brain is fried (it's getting pretty late where I am), so this is going to have to wait until tomorrow, especially since I'm going to have to do a lot of writing documentation and such.... :(

On the other hand, keep an eye out tomorrow!