Jellybean Information

Search This thread

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Hi everyone! A Jellybean OTA has been released for Google I/O, so in order to keep things organized all new discussions about it will be redirected here. Please keep in mind that this is a developer preview, as such it will likely have bugs and you must root in order to install it. If you don't wish to root you'll need to wait for Google or Samsung to release an OTA for your device.

If you have anything you feel should be linked here feel free to shoot me a PM with it.

Cheers!

Information & Guides:
Information about JellyBean
Introducing Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) preview platform, and more

Android 4.1 for Developers
Differences between 4.0.4 and 4.1
Screenshot Gallary + Change List
[HOW-TO] Install official JRN84D (Jelly Bean 4.1) on your GSM Galaxy Nexus
Jelly Bean Flash Update 11.1.115.12

Jelly Bean related Guides
How to regain root after updating to 4.1

Firmware & ROMs:
GSM
[ROM][CWM] Jellybean 4.1 JRN84D Stock, Rooted, Busybox, Deodexed + New Radio!
Direct Link for takju IMM30D to JRN84D OTA
Torrent link for OTA
New Radio XXLF1
[REF] [BOOTLOADER] Bootloader Collection - Look for PRIMELC03

Toro
[ROM]Team Liquid Vicious-Toro-JellyBean Fully 100% Fucntional Deodex

Toro+
[ACS][ROM] Jelly Bean R U Jelling official thread - Shabby Penguin/DreamsForgotten

Other Useful Guides
[HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Convert to latest yakju/takju/mysid build / Return to stock

Last edited:
G

GuestK0097

Sorry, I wasn't able to edit my post for a long time & hope now that I can add a few more information from time to time.

Hello everybody,
I'm on stock Jelly Bean with official Jelly Bean bootloader + radio and want to tell you about my experience with it (There is a link in the first post to the tutorial for stock Jelly Bean).

Basic Information
I have not noticed any bugs with this ROM. The system is way smoother compared to any Ice Cream Sandwich version (Mostly the animations. The App Drawer animations is now completely fluid :). Many things that have annoyed me in ICS have been fixed and new some new functions have been added.

Biggest differences between ICS and JB:
This part will be a little bit messy because I'm going to change it a little bit but I really don't have that much time so I will do it in parts

Changes in Settings:
- Data Usage Graph is now linear, like in CM9
- Wi-Fi Direct has now an option menu
- WPS-Pin and Push Button Configuration is now supported
- The account-settings are now a seperated category in the settings
- Developer options have been rearranged and new ones have been added

- Some benchmarks are better:
- Some benchmarks are worse:

- Now there's an arrow downwards instead of the back button when the keyboard is opened:
- There is an other lockscreen animation and you can access google now from lockscreen:
- new animations:
- access google now instantly by swiping up from the home button:
- Process of adding a new word to the dictionary have been optimized:

- New Wallpapers:
- New Search-Bar:
- New Radio and Bootloader:
- New Boot-Animation:
- Homescreen objects rearrange when you add an widget automatically:
- New Google Music App:
- New Youtube App:
- New Google Maps app:
- New Voice Search app:
- Contacts with a higher resolution:
- Expandable Notifications:
- Completely redesigned nofication bar:
- New animations in gallery app
- Optimized Camera app:
- New programm-chosing-menu:
- If you want a tutorial or more information about jelly bean just write your questions here. I will update this post afterwards.

Questions:

Is google now english only? :
- No. I just asked a few questions in german. It gave me search results but I it just list sites with the answers. No knowledge graph in german. But it shows me my weather and my route to work with tiles :)

What happens if you enable/disable WiFi Direct for 5-10 times in a row? In ICS, after a couple of times toggling WiFi Direct the wifi driver crashed and I needed a reboot in order to make WiFi and WiFi Direct work again:
- Sorry I don't have another Wifi-Direct device to test this feature at this time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ogdobber

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2008
Jellybean OTA released!

root

how i did it

ok you need to have clockworkmod recovery installed...
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(insecure boot.img)
unzip boot.img.zip, boot to bootloader and
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

or flash JRN84D-insecure-boot.zip from recovery

-put the CWM-SuperSU-v0.92-mod.zip on your sd and flash

done. :good:

if you have problems...
flash Koush's Jellybean repack (IMM76I OR IMM30D) http://d-h.st/Gkh

If recovery isn't sticking for you, delete recovery-from-boot.p in /system

...this is chainfire's super su

Attachments

• boot.img.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 828
  • CWM-SuperSU-v0.92-mod.zip
    701.6 KB · Views: 1,848
  • JRN84D-insecure-boot.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 863
Last edited:

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Jellybean OTA released!

Gallary : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aqvteoek9k8ewwq/yzKZD-V6vJ

Some small changes that were not announced:

• THE BAD: Navigation is still Gingerbread looking. Background gradients are still pixelated. Most importantly, NO PINCH TO ZOOM IN GMAIL! WTF Google?
  • The multitasking drawer loads faster when you press the button, but it makes you wait on the dimmed screen while it load the app screenshots. It gives the illusion of being faster.
  • Different animation based on how you switch to an app (ICS had only one)
  • Hotword Detection: launch voice search when you say "Google" (when you are running google now)
  • Jelly bean easter egg
  • New Developer options:
    SD card privacy protection (won't come into effect before the next major release)
    Animator duration scale (the window and transition animation options are still there)
    Disable HW overlay (not sure what this one is)
    etc
  • In contacts, there is a "Auto-sync app data" option that I think wasn't there before.
  • Messaging app widget!
  • New Contacts icon
  • New share action and intent picker pop out (big icons instead of a list)
  • Default font seems to be a little thinner than ICS Roboto in some places
  • NOTIFICATIONS CAN BE DISABLED. This one is a godsend. You can long press on notifications to get the info of the sender app (useful for detecting spam apps)
  • When keyboard is active, the back button turns into a downward arrow (just like tablet ICS).
  • WPS PIN setup for Wifi
  • Wifi-direct has more options (like CM9)
  • "Add-on dictionaries" : it's empty now until 3rd party keyboards leverage the new API. (I think you would be able to get dictionaries from play store in the future)
  • Kernel is based off 3.0.31 (ICS was 3.0.8)
  • Google play music has been updated (Nexus Q settings link, better interface, etc)
  • Keyboard shortcuts (example: brb expands to "be right back"). Catching up to Apple much Google?
  • NO ROOT RESTRICTION ON GOOGLE PLAY MOVIES!. I wonder how they pulled this off without compromising DRM.
  • SAFE BOOT: long press on "Power off" (in the menu that shows up when you long press power button) to get into this mode. Only system apps will be loaded (should come in handy when dealing with rogue apps)
  • Screen seems to be better calibrated. The colours are more neutral and less yellow.

Last edited:

zedklind

Sep 23, 2008
hopefully this thread wont close on me right after i post...

so i backed up my apps with galaxy nexus toolkit before the downgrade and flashing method and after flashing i cant seem to get it to restore the apps through the toolkit. is there a restore option from the phone itself while its connected? in the toolkit it just hangs and doesnt prompt on screen. i had to setup the wifi with a static ip but it kept saying avoiding due to bad signal so i uncheckmarked that setting and now im getting TERRIBLE wifi coverage where i used to get moderate. anyone have any ideas on either of those problems? im also standing right next to the router.. currently restoring nandroid and starting the whole process over but instead with just koush

hernan078

Oct 26, 2010
I cant acces to my recovery, i flashed the koush version and since then i cant access my recovery. I use the toolkit and my phone is not recognized by it in fastboot mode, but in adb yes. I dont have root, i have booting rom but no way of coming back

slayr76

Mar 26, 2012
perth
so i backed up my apps with galaxy nexus toolkit before the downgrade and flashing method and after flashing i cant seem to get it to restore the apps through the toolkit. is there a restore option from the phone itself while its connected? in the toolkit it just hangs and doesnt prompt on screen. i had to setup the wifi with a static ip but it kept saying avoiding due to bad signal so i uncheckmarked that setting and now im getting TERRIBLE wifi coverage where i used to get moderate. anyone have any ideas on either of those problems? im also standing right next to the router.. currently restoring nandroid and starting the whole process over but instead with just koush

I use mybackup pro then just drag the backup folder to an from phone to PC to save an restore.Toolkit backups never worked for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
I cant acces to my recovery, i flashed the koush version and since then i cant access my recovery. I use the toolkit and my phone is not recognized by it in fastboot mode, but in adb yes. I dont have root, i have booting rom but no way of coming back

happened to me too. You shouldn't flash such an unstable build if you're not comfortable with terminal and fastboot/adb commands.

hanged_man

May 1, 2009
Wifi is not working for me as well, i tried clearing dalvik cache and wiping the device (as per some guy's advice in a different thread) but it still didn't solve it for me.

Anyone managed to fix this ?

zedklind

Sep 23, 2008
I use mybackup pro then just drag the backup folder to an from phone to PC to save an restore.Toolkit backups never worked for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

i ended up flashing koush on top of my original ics 4.0.4 without wipe and it works great! works as if it was a legit OTA. also noticed wifi didnt require static ip change and a slight improvement for the wifi. im loving the new google search! better than siri :) still playing with it and thanks to all that put their time into this! nexus FTW

ellimistx99

Jun 2, 2007
The keyboard expansion where "brb" expands to "be right back" doesn't work.

Also, the voice search I think has gotten worse... the cards don't seem to work properly (aside from weather) and saying things like "Listen to Hello by Lionel Richie" and "Map of nearest gas stations" just returns google web search results.

braingravyuk

Jun 15, 2010
Manchester
www.braingravy.co.uk
Working on a Yakju

Check out the android version

I won't spoil what happens when you hold the bean!! (ermm yeah)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-28-09-33-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-28-09-33-22.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,680

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone! A Jellybean OTA has been released for Google I/O, so in order to keep things organized all new discussions about it will be redirected here. Please keep in mind that this is a developer preview, as such it will likely have bugs and you must root in order to install it. If you don't wish to root you'll need to wait for Google or Samsung to release an OTA for your device.

If you have anything you feel should be linked here feel free to shoot me a PM with it.

Cheers!

Information & Guides:
    Information about JellyBean
    Introducing Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) preview platform, and more

Android 4.1 for Developers
    Differences between 4.0.4 and 4.1
    Screenshot Gallary + Change List
    [HOW-TO] Install official JRN84D (Jelly Bean 4.1) on your GSM Galaxy Nexus
    Jelly Bean Flash Update 11.1.115.12

Jelly Bean related Guides
    How to regain root after updating to 4.1

Firmware & ROMs:
    GSM
    [ROM][CWM] Jellybean 4.1 JRN84D Stock, Rooted, Busybox, Deodexed + New Radio!
    Direct Link for takju IMM30D to JRN84D OTA
    Torrent link for OTA
    New Radio XXLF1
    [REF] [BOOTLOADER] Bootloader Collection - Look for PRIMELC03

Toro
    [ROM]Team Liquid Vicious-Toro-JellyBean Fully 100% Fucntional Deodex

Toro+
    [ACS][ROM] Jelly Bean R U Jelling official thread - Shabby Penguin/DreamsForgotten

Other Useful Guides
    [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Convert to latest yakju/takju/mysid build / Return to stock
    Jellybean OTA released!

Gallary : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aqvteoek9k8ewwq/yzKZD-V6vJ

Some small changes that were not announced:

• THE BAD: Navigation is still Gingerbread looking. Background gradients are still pixelated. Most importantly, NO PINCH TO ZOOM IN GMAIL! WTF Google?
    • The multitasking drawer loads faster when you press the button, but it makes you wait on the dimmed screen while it load the app screenshots. It gives the illusion of being faster.
    • Different animation based on how you switch to an app (ICS had only one)
    • Hotword Detection: launch voice search when you say "Google" (when you are running google now)
    • Jelly bean easter egg
    • New Developer options:
      SD card privacy protection (won't come into effect before the next major release)
      Animator duration scale (the window and transition animation options are still there)
      Disable HW overlay (not sure what this one is)
      etc
    • In contacts, there is a "Auto-sync app data" option that I think wasn't there before.
    • Messaging app widget!
    • New Contacts icon
    • New share action and intent picker pop out (big icons instead of a list)
    • Default font seems to be a little thinner than ICS Roboto in some places
    • NOTIFICATIONS CAN BE DISABLED. This one is a godsend. You can long press on notifications to get the info of the sender app (useful for detecting spam apps)
    • When keyboard is active, the back button turns into a downward arrow (just like tablet ICS).
    • WPS PIN setup for Wifi
    • Wifi-direct has more options (like CM9)
    • "Add-on dictionaries" : it's empty now until 3rd party keyboards leverage the new API. (I think you would be able to get dictionaries from play store in the future)
    • Kernel is based off 3.0.31 (ICS was 3.0.8)
    • Google play music has been updated (Nexus Q settings link, better interface, etc)
    • Keyboard shortcuts (example: brb expands to "be right back"). Catching up to Apple much Google?
    • NO ROOT RESTRICTION ON GOOGLE PLAY MOVIES!. I wonder how they pulled this off without compromising DRM.
    • SAFE BOOT: long press on "Power off" (in the menu that shows up when you long press power button) to get into this mode. Only system apps will be loaded (should come in handy when dealing with rogue apps)
    • Screen seems to be better calibrated. The colours are more neutral and less yellow.
    Jellybean OTA released!

root

how i did it

ok you need to have clockworkmod recovery installed...
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(insecure boot.img)
    unzip boot.img.zip, boot to bootloader and
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img

or flash JRN84D-insecure-boot.zip from recovery

-put the CWM-SuperSU-v0.92-mod.zip on your sd and flash

done. :good:

if you have problems...
    flash Koush's Jellybean repack (IMM76I OR IMM30D) http://d-h.st/Gkh

If recovery isn't sticking for you, delete recovery-from-boot.p in /system

...this is chainfire's super su

- download Koush's Jellybean repack (http://d-h.st/Gkh)
    - download SuperSU from the 2nd post or from its thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053)
    - reboot into recovery
    - create a backup just in case
    - wipe system / data / cache
    - flash Koush's Jellybean repack
    - flash SuperSU
    - reboot
    - you're now in a rooted Jelly Bean, but you'll lose your custom recovery
    - using Root Explorer or similar apps, delete /etc/install-recovery.sh
    - re-flash your favorite custom recovery (CWM or TWRP), this time it will stick

:silly:
    Some interesting notes about the Developer Options in 4.1:

• Animator Duration Scale - This is a new setting and this affects automatic animations in Android, such as swipe speeds when you swipe something away from Recent Apps (it affects the speed of which the list gets re-ordered). Also note that this setting seems to require a restart to be in effect.
    • Disable HW Overlays - I think that this setting is Project Butter. This should be the hardware vSync/TripleBuffer overlay. It is recommended to not disable this, unless for debugging.
    • Force GPU Rendering - This was already in 4.0, but was very buggy in 4.0 since a lot of apps were not compatible with it. It seems to be much better now because of HW overlays (that is, the benefit of GPU Rendering in apps is much better thanks to HW Overlays), but there are still bugs with some apps (like Androidify).

What makes this last Force GPU Rendering setting really awesome is that it enhances most WebViews much more in combination with HW Overlays, than before. This means that apps that have UI built with WebView are much faster with this setting on, if they haven't used it internally. But it is still recommended not to turn it on and let app developers to test it out first and support it out of the box.