FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

50+ Hours of Battery Life on my G2!

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 54

By finkalink, Member on 18th September 2013, 03:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I finally got around to messing with my phone, and decided to see what it could really do for battery life! I'll try and be specific as possible about all of the tweaks that I've performed, but feel free to ask any questions as well.

To start out, my phone is rooted and is the Verizon version. Throughout the 50 hours, I was a little more conservative with usage than usual, but not overly so. I also used Titanium Backup to freeze and uninstall system app and VZW bloatware. In addition, I used a utility called 2x Battery that automatically turns off my 4G data when I turn my screen off, but enables it every 15 mins to pull down notifications. I also utilized wifi at home and kept the brightness fairly low (which I didn't find to be an issue because the screen visibility on this monster is great IMO). Another thing that I did was uncheck the 'Wi-Fi & Mobile Network Location in the Location Access Menu.

First of all, here is some proof! 50 Hours, 14 Minutes - With 6% battery left

The following are screenshots from the battery menu of the things that are taking the most battery. In order of how much battery they used, here they are:

Android System (33% battery usage)
Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Cell Standby (15%)

Screen (12%)

Android OS (10)

Ok, so that is what the top usage on my phone, and I'd like to list out the settings I changed in Titanium Backup. I guess I'll give the generic warning that I'm not responsible for you messing with your phone, and you should make sure you know what you are doing so that you don't brick or ruin your device. That being said, I have seen very little or no negative effects of the items that are listed.

Frozen using Titanium Backup
Accessories 9
com.lge.mobilehotspot.ui 1.0
Email 6.1.3
Google Play Books
Google Play Magazines
Google Play Movies & TV
Google + 4.1.2.51968121
Help 4.3.012
Home Selector 3.0.029
LG VPN 2.6.1
Mobile Print 1.1.93
Music 4.2.5
My InfoZone 2.2.16
My Verizon Mobile 10.0.441
Sync Service 2.9.0.1.52
Text Link 4.3.11
Text Link Engine 1.6.2
Unified EULA 4.0.6
Unused Apps 1.00.00004
Verizon Hidden Menu 1.0.0.0505
VMWare Ready 1.3.2
VpnDialogs 4.2.2
VZW SMS Filter Service 1.2
VZWAPNService 8.0

Uninstalled (Through Titanium)
Car Home
Favorite Contacts Widget 4.1.3
Home Theme - Marshmallow
LGSetupWizard 4.3.002
Notebook 4.0.21
Picasa Uploader
Polaris Office
Richnote 4.0.19
Richnote Widget 4.0.5
Setup Wizard 1.3Setup Wizard 4.3.002
Slide Aside 4.0.10
TextTranslator 4.1.10
Wireless Storage 4.0.26
Backup Assistant+ Contacts
Life Square 4.0.28
Life Square Log Manager 2.5.42

So I would love to get some feedback as to how people think that we can continue to extend battery life on this already awesome flagship device! A few questions that I have:

Android System is using the most battery. What else can I safely disable to optimize this? Are there any that you see that I froze or removed that I shouldn't have?
Are there any other hacks that people think would be beneficial to try out?
What do you guys feel about disabling location services and/or auto-rotate?

Thanks for reading, good luck maxxing out your own battery!
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to finkalink For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift finkalink Ad-Free
18th September 2013, 04:10 AM |#2  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 120

Donate to Me
More
Constrabus like! I've only seen up to 44 hours on my N4. Once on cm, you can pretty much guarantee at least almost 3 days with these settings.
18th September 2013, 04:11 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 253

More
Great sharing, I starred it for future reference, thanks

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [email protected] Ad-Free
18th September 2013, 04:28 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thumbs up
Thank you for posting the list of apps frozen and uninstalled. That said I love slide aside and wifi storage. How do you not use those?
18th September 2013, 04:51 AM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 54

More
To me I just don't see the reasoning behind Slide Aside. If I hold the home button it shows the passive running apps, and I just switch from there. But I haven't looked into it too much, what else do you like about it?

Also, how about the wireless storage, is that just an auto upload to your desktop? I use Dropbox to auto-backup my pics and videos, and music is backed up to Play Music. Most additional stuff like calendar or task list app are Auto backed to their own servers or Google's.

I'd love to hear more about the benefits of these apps, I'm always open to changing things up!

Sent from my LG G2 using xda app-developers app
18th September 2013, 05:16 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Thumbs up
Good job!
18th September 2013, 05:32 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Nicely done.
For those that think you need root to accomplish great battery, I am on track to pass 33 hrs without root. Screen @ 40%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmbtswmr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmbtswmr Ad-Free
18th September 2013, 05:38 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 195

More
I've found the best way to increase my battery life is to turn of wifi & mobile network location, but that basically renders a variety of apps, including Google Now, useless.
18th September 2013, 12:06 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I believe it. I been averaging 18hrs every day with mine but that is being used a good bit throughout that entire 18hrs. I usually keep my screen at 25% unless I'm outside and its really sunny. WiFi and all is off and I have quite a few uninstalled apps thru titanium.

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app
18th September 2013, 01:33 PM |#10  
Flag Conley
Thanks Meter: 298

More
Just wanted to post this awesome battery life my phone has gotten after 4 charge cycles. This is better than my droid max I recently purchased. Anyone who says this phone has horrible battery life is either a liar or has a defective phone.

This is with 90% 4glte and brightness set to auto 75% baseline. Not turning anything off. I work a lot so screen time isn't that much but who really uses their phone for 6-8 hours a day? That a quarter of your life spent on a phone each day. Any ways great phone not much to complain about yet

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1379507584876.jpg
Views:	10702
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2265927  
The Following User Says Thank You to craigbailey1986 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift craigbailey1986 Ad-Free
18th September 2013, 01:34 PM |#11  
Flag Conley
Thanks Meter: 298

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbailey1986

Just wanted to post this awesome battery life my phone has gotten after 4 charge cycles. This is better than my droid max I recently purchased. Anyone who says this phone has horrible battery life is either a liar or has a defective phone.

This is with 90% 4glte and brightness set to auto 75% baseline. Not turning anything off. I work a lot so screen time isn't that much but who really uses their phone for 6-8 hours a day? That a quarter of your life spent on a phone each day. Any ways great phone not much to complain about yet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1379507665418.jpg
Views:	3417
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2265928  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app mods, battery life, lg g2, root, screen

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)