How to flash a new ROM to your Wizard... a little tutorial!

Search This thread

darinrad

Mar 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Thanks vippie,

I purchased an I-mate K-jam (off that big auction site ;) ) and it had an old I-mate ROM on it. I wanted to update the ROM so I took a couple of days searching around the internet and found a couple of sites that explained the process and I started in on the update. Much to my dismay somthing went seriously wrong and the phone would just sit at the loading screen and reboot for hours. Every once in awhile it would finally load up Windows, but it ran VERY sluggishly and I could not place any calls on it.

This all happend close to a year ago now, and I have been trying to (unsuccessfully) flash the ROM since then. Just a couple of days ago I stumbled on the XDA forums and your post. I followed the instructions in this and Dr. Puttingham's post and 2 hours later I was making calls, sending text messages, surfing the internet and reading email, all on my K-jam!!!

Thanks to you and Dr. Puttingham I am no longer beinging ridiculed by my friends and wife for bricking my phone!!!

You 2 guys are the greatest.

Disclaimer: In no way do I know personally or are related to vippie or Dr Puttingham, I am simply a satisified reader. :D

Last edited:

fryman

Mar 16, 2007
Monterey, CA
Thanks

Thanks Vippie for the great guide and the time you put into it.

Sorry for the newbie question but when I flash the T-Mobile 2.26 rom does this give me the Radio v2.25.11 from the leaked Test T-Mobile (US) 2.24 AKU 2.3 Rom so then I will have to go and reflash the Radio v2.25.11 from the leaked Cingular 2.25 AKU 2.2 Rom? Thanks for reading!

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
Sorry for the newbie question but when I flash the T-Mobile 2.26 rom does this give me the Radio v2.25.11 from the leaked Test T-Mobile (US) 2.24 AKU 2.3 Rom so then I will have to go and reflash the Radio v2.25.11 from the leaked Cingular 2.25 AKU 2.2 Rom? Thanks for reading!
The TMobile 2.26 ROM comes with the TMobile 2.25 Radio which is different than the Cingular 2.25 Radio. So yes, if you want the Cingular one, you would need to flash the Radio Only update from the ftp area to switch. I've never ran the TMo 2.25 Radio but I've heard from numerous people here that the Cingular 2.25 Radio "works better" (on WM5 at least). None of the radios above 2.19 on WM6 in my (and many others) experience work well.

fryman

Mar 16, 2007
Monterey, CA
Thanks

The TMobile 2.26 ROM comes with the TMobile 2.25 Radio which is different than the Cingular 2.25 Radio. So yes, if you want the Cingular one, you would need to flash the Radio Only update from the ftp area to switch. I've never ran the TMo 2.25 Radio but I've heard from numerous people here that the Cingular 2.25 Radio "works better" (on WM5 at least). None of the radios above 2.19 on WM6 in my (and many others) experience work well.

thanks for the recommendation...I will flash back to the 2.19...do you reload the 2.19 radio every time you flash a new WM6 rom or do you not drop back down to the TMobile 2.26 rom everytime?

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
Wizard Love Rom doesn't work with IPL/SPL 3.08. It errors out trying to find device in step G4.3

Any suggestions?

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
Wizard Love Rom doesn't work with IPL/SPL 3.08. It errors out trying to find device in step G4.3

Any suggestions?
Sorry, this doesn't help, but thats one of the reasons I'm not rushing to upgrade to some new and unknown IPL/SPL (newer isn't always better). Wouldn't surprise me if there are other issues here.

So based on the step you list, you are a G4... You may be in new territory here, and you really need to be careful as G4's seem easier to brick due to IPL/SPL issues. Not good if Wizard Love doesn't work as that has always been the "cure all" for G4's... I might suggest you post in the G4 forum as this may need to be tracked and watched and thats a good place for G4 issues.

fryman

Mar 16, 2007
Monterey, CA
flashing in boot loader mode

Can you flash any ROM when you are at the RBG tri-color boot loader screen? I don't like to use an Active Sync conection and was just wondering if this was OK to do. Thanks for reading.

vippie

Nov 14, 2006
I don't think there's a problem flashing roms from the bootloader screen. When flashing the "normal" way it also does that after the RUU closes activesync. In my opinion just use the activesync method because I don't see any advantage to flash from the bootloader screen.

fryman

Mar 16, 2007
Monterey, CA
Thanks for the advice. There is not any advantage...I just wanted to install ROMs from work without having to install activesync. It will work from the boot loader screen but only after you have installed activesync once so that windows recognizes your device and install the drivers...before you install it once it wil give you an error and you can't even open the utility.

z00m

Apr 13, 2007
can anyone here help me out? after the wm6 upgrade my phone is just stuck at the pop up menu. everything works but the screen just stays there. where it teaches you how to use the phone. people can call me and i can use the phone but just can't see where im touching... and yeah i did unlock the cid.

jwzg

Retired Senior Moderator
Jan 31, 2006
Prattville, AL
can anyone here help me out? after the wm6 upgrade my phone is just stuck at the pop up menu. everything works but the screen just stays there. where it teaches you how to use the phone. people can call me and i can use the phone but just can't see where im touching... and yeah i did unlock the cid.

I would re-download a copy of the same ROM you used and re-flash, just to be on the safe side. If the touchscreen took input before, you likely have a slightly corrupt install causing the problem.

JMHO

gniemcew

Feb 25, 2006
Windows Vista/Windows Mobile Device Center

Hi every1,

Regarding G3.2:

"G3.2 Turn off you're device totally. Remove the SD card and disconnect the USB cable from you're device. Turn on the device while holding the camera button. You will get into bootloader mode (3 colored screen). Connect the USB cable to the computer and you will see USB at the bottom of your screen above the left softkey (Activesync will not connect in bootloader mode, but you can flash from this screen!). If you got IPL/SPL 1.xx go to G3.3. If you got 2.xx go to G3.4"

Red-green-blue boot-screen flash process (soft-resetting while holding down the side-wise "Camera" key) might not work under Windows Vista/Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) and Cingular 8125, regardless of CID unlock status, WMDC USB enable/disable settings (mentioned in regard to an emergency miniSD card ROM restore procedure), Windows Firewall settings, WMDC process status, etc. Dropping down to Windows XP SP2 and Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 works immediately, installing "Pocket USB Sync" driver upon connection. ActiveSync will not connect in boot loader mode, but you can download the latest ROM image updater from Cingular's web site, and run it (or, if you have an uncompressed version, the ROMUpdateUtility.exe - RUU).

Gary

mzmilam

Apr 15, 2007
Las Vegas
MDA newbie

Hi there,
Love all the info in here! IPL version 1.08, having a problem...device will not turn on in bootloader mode, I don't have a sim card would that be the cause? :confused: Any suggestions?

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
Hi there,
Love all the info in here! IPL version 1.08, having a problem...device will not turn on in bootloader mode, I don't have a sim card would that be the cause? :confused: Any suggestions?
How about more detail? Is this a G3 or G4? I assume you've downgraded since you are saying IPL 1.08 (and that would also indicate a G3). What does it do when you try to put it in bootloader? Does the phone not boot at all, or doesn't get to where you can use it?

Information is a good thing for us to assist.

mzmilam

Apr 15, 2007
Las Vegas
Excuse my ignorance, please

I truly mean that I am ignorant, :eek: I am seldom post in forums, or ask for assistance that way. I appreciate your patience, and willingness to help. :D
Let me see...I purchased the phone on e-bay, I really wanted a cool new phone but didn't want to get trapped into a provider contract in order to afford it. I have been stuck with Sprint PCS for over 2 years and I truly detest their service and coverage. Anyway, I saw this phone and loved it, along with the phone I purchased a Socket GPS unit that supposedly will track my whereabouts. When I received the phone it did not have a sim card, I began thinking I have made a huge mistake, I began looking for information for the T-Mobile MDA, I removed the battery and noticed it is a Wizard 200, surfed more and I was enlightend that it is a HTA Wizard 200 then I happened across this fabulous website. I have not done anything with the phone besides power it up and play with the menus. Under the battery it has the IMEI #, S/N#, P/N#99HBH044-01 T03, (is that it?) below those it says WIZA200. When I attempt to bootloader it just turns on the camera. I hope this gives you the info you need to assist.
I truly appreciate your time, after all of the things I have read here, I am once again truly anticipating getting this thing going.
Sincerely, Mo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide was written a long time ago. I recommend people to use this more up to date guide:
    Wizard Windows Mobile 6 for newbies

I've got a lot of post behind my name, but most of my posts are answers to the same questions over and over again. It seems very hard for "noobs" to find the answer to their question quickly on the forum. I quickly wrote a little step by step tutorial for them. Hope it helps!

Suggestions or corrections are always welcome.

You want to flash your wizard, but don't know where to start. Try this:

0. First determine if you got a G3 or a G4 device. When you turn on your device from can can see you're IPL and SPL version on the screen. If you got IPL/SPL 1.xx or 2.xx you've got a G3 device. If the IPL/SPL shows 2.xx.xxx1 you've got a G4. Go to step G3.1 if you got a G3 and G4.1 if G4.

G3.1 Does you're device start normally (yes) or is it stuck on the three-colored bootloader screen (no)? YES... go to step G3.5, NO go to step G3.2

G3.2 Turn off you're device totaly. Remove the SD card and disconnect the USB cable from you're device. Turn on the device while holding the camera button. You will get into bootloader mode (3 colored screen). Connect the USB cable to the computer and you will see USB at the bottom of your screen above the left softkey (Activesync will not connect in bootloader mode, but you can flash from this screen!). If you got IPL/SPL 1.xx go to G3.3. If you got 2.xx go to G3.4

G3.3 Download button rom and flash it to your device. Your device should startup again after doing this. Go to G3.5.

G3.4 Download wizard_love rom and flash it to your device. Your device should startup again after doing this. Go to G3.5.

G3.5 Is your device CID-unlocked (note: it's not the same as SIM-unlocked!)? YES... go to step G3.7, NO OR DON'T KNOW go to step G3.6.

G3.6 Follow this great thread by Dr Puttingham: The Definitive Guide to Unlocking & Rom Upgrading G3 Wizards. Don't skip step 17! Flash the T-Mobile 2.26 Rom! Go to step G3.8 if you got the T-Mobile rom with IPL/SPL 2.26 on your device after doing this.

NOTE: Some people seem to have problem with flashing the button rom in this step (stops at 98% with error 302). Replace button_rom with Xda_MiniS_LaunchROM_v154102 and follow the rest of the steps normally when this happens!

G3.7 Download T-Mobile 2.26 rom and flash it to your device! Done? Go to step G3.8.

G3.8 You're reade to flash the AKU2, AKU3, WM6 rom of you're choise! It wasn't that hard, was it? If you still got an older OS version after flashing then you're not CID-unlocked! Go back to start!

------------------------------------

G4.1 Does you're device start normally (yes) or is it stuck on the three-colored bootloader screen (no)? YES... go to step G4.4, NO go to step G4.2

G4.2 Turn off you're device totaly. Remove the SD card and disconnect the USB cable from you're device. Turn on the device while holding the camera button. You will get into bootloader mode (3 colored screen). Connect the USB cable to the computer and you will see USB at the bottom of your screen above the left softkey (Activesync will not connect in bootloader mode, but you can flash from this screen!). go to G4.3

G4.3 Download wizard_love rom and flash it to your device. Your device should startup again after doing this. Go to G4.4.

G4.4 Is your device CID-unlocked (note: it's not the same as SIM-unlocked!)? YES... go to step G4.7, NO OR DON'T KNOW go to step G4.5. (note: CID-unlocking a G4 is only possible by paying for it at imei-check!)

G4.5 Download enable-rapi.zip. Transfer Cert_SPCS.cab and EnableRapi.cab to your phone. Run Cert_SPCS.cab FIRST and EnableRapi.cab SECOND. Turn your device off and on or wait 5 minutes before soft resetting. Done? Go to G4.6.

G4.6 Follow this great thread by the-equinoxe: [solution] G4 SoftSPL Flash any ROM to CID locked G4 [UPDATED] and load the softSPL on your device using his method. Make sure you take a G4 safe rom (see the thread for details). After the steps you'll have the rom of your choise on your device!

G4.7 You're reade to flash the AKU2, AKU3, WM6 rom of you're choise IF the rom DOESN'T contain IPL/SPL. AKU3 and WM6 roms normally don't contain IPL/SPL. If you want to flash an AKU2 rom, make sure you take the G4 version. If you get an error 300 (invalid update tool) while trying to flash your device look at this thread!

NOTE: If you tried to flash a G3 rom with IPL/SPL in the rom on a G4 you probably will have a bricked device! DON'T flash the new 3.08 and 3.09 IPL/SPL to your G4!

NOTE2: If you got problems flashing with softSPL: Follow this great thread by mun_rus: Solutuion found: how to flash any rom to CIDLOCKED DEVICE. If your device won't start after flashing you can use step G4.2 and G4.3 and try again. Also look at this thread by eddieitman: Faria G4 Step by step installer with instructions to make sure you did all the necessary steps!
    I'm trying to get a copy of this file as well. I've combed the net and these forums for hours looking. There is a torrent out there, but no seeders. The Wiki link to the file is nil as well. If anyone would be so kind as to post up a working link or the file itself I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Maybe PM some of the old posters who have moved on but perhaps still have some old files on an old computer. I have a wizard folder on my old desktop at home and will look tonight. I think I have button ROM and a few other old goodies. But the file you are looking for doesn't sound familiar.

I don't come to this device forum anymore.. I just happened by and saw the msg.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (Maguro) using Tapatalk