Sprint Mega Root and *RECOVERY*(SPH-L600) working flawlessly

Search This thread

MotorSportsKC

Nov 14, 2013
op,ks
So I am a techy type guy like 90% of you here, that being said after scouring the net since Saturday to find a root process for my Sprint Mega I took it upon my self to test a couple different ways of rooting at my expense. Well good news for me and you (if you are in need of root).

Now first things first this method requires the use of kingo .... Now I know what's been said about kingo and inspite of that I used it and it worked great! I found a thread here of someone using it and it worked as well. The app did it's job but I was wanting TWRP as well. So this is how I did it.

1. Download kingo from the interwebs and run it, it Will guide you from there.

2. Go download Twrp2.img file from teamw (for mega 6.3 search thier site to find it) find the recovery that "works" for me. Save this file to the root of SD card.

3. After kingo has ran and you have root access go to the market and download FLASHIFY for root users.

Now navigate to flashify and select the option to flash recovery, find your recovery.img on SD and flash it.

Now make sure to power off after install and press power button-home button-volume up keys all simultaneously. This will put the phone in recovery.* Do this to keep the phone from writing over your file that was just flashed.*

Now you have root and with out the loss of any data, no wiping or factory resets! All radios work and from what I can tell no problems whatsoever!
All credits for software goes to those that created it, I merely put together a process for you to try! I take no responsibility for damage to your device. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK! enjoy

vwbug2007

Aug 26, 2010
What about stock boot.img that I needed to restore stuck in samsung bootlogo

Sent from my GT-I9205 using xda app-developers app

MotorSportsKC

Nov 14, 2013
op,ks
Try this.

which version of the device do you have?. I don't have a direct answer but the reason I did the process this way was because I couldn't flash via odin. So if I were you I would try to get odin to work with your phone, use version 3.07 and make sure your pc has all the updated Samsung drivers for the phone. Then get the tar file from twrp and try to do it in download mode. As for the stock boot img I have not seen a source file for SPH-l600, how ever there are roms for other variants that I'm sure you could swore a boot image from. Hope this helps

vwbug2007

Aug 26, 2010
Mine is nov 8 sprint released mega sph-l600 I lost that boot.img because of bad instructions on the xda this one you never flash the boit.img to root it without first back up stock boit.img it was odin method

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Im limping on custom simion 9205 rom with no lte I belive the lte support is in that boot.img

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
Well, damn....it doesn't work on on ATT 6.3.....thought it was going to work because everthing flashed....RomManager shows that I have TWRP installed....but....when I try recovery it shuts down and says "unauthorized software has been detected, turn your phone off and take it to the nearest ATT store"

Fortunately, I was able to get into download mode so I could restart it....thought for sure I had bricked it....so the waiting game continues for we ATT users.

Thanks anyway and very good instructions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app

vwbug2007

Aug 26, 2010
It look like your not rooted correctly try root# checker app to verify it

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Att 6.3 mega and sprint 6.3 mega are not the same boot.img interesting

MotorSportsKC

Nov 14, 2013
op,ks
Mine is nov 8 sprint released mega sph-l600 I lost that boot.img because of bad instructions on the xda this one you never flash the boit.img to root it without first back up stock boit.img it was odin method

let me look around for a boot image , mine is also the launch model. Finding it will be a task. :) but one that can be done with time. As far as lte support being in the boot. Img, I'll have to double check. As you can see twrp recovery is working and SU is as well. Notice the twrp folder in the screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-14-19-55-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-14-19-55-53.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 768
  • Screenshot_2013-11-14-20-01-39.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-14-20-01-39.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 710

MotorSportsKC

Nov 14, 2013
op,ks
THE ROOT DOES NOT LEAVE WHEN TURNED OFF IT IS PERMANENT once the recovery is installed. The Knox is not tipped by the flash of recovery in this instance either. Since we don't have a source for these devices yet BE SURE YOU WANT/NEED ROOT! Otherwise warranty will be Void and phone is a paperweight.

vwbug2007

Aug 26, 2010
my stock rom build prop says
ro.build.id=JDQ39
ro.build.display.id=JDQ39.L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.version.incremental=L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.version.sdk=17
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.2.2
ro.build.date=Wed Sep 18 00:02:17 KST 2013
ro.build.date.utc=1379430137
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=se.infra
ro.build.host=R0302-18
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.product.model=SPH-L600
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=meliusltespr
ro.product.device=meliusltespr
ro.product.board=MSM8960
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=msm8960
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=meliusltespr
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=meliusltespr-user 4.2.2 JDQ39 L600VPUAMI6 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/meliusltespr/meliusltespr:4.2.2/JDQ39/L600VPUAMI6:user/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=phone,chameleon
# Samsung Specific Properties
ro.build.PDA=L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.hidden_ver=L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.changelist=1708610
ro.product_ship=true
ro.chipname=MSM8930AB
ro.build.version.software=MI6
# end build properties
# Evolution RIL (8xxx)

so the boot.img kernel has to be 3.4.0-1379430137 in order to pair correctly with the backed up stock rom

MotorSportsKC

Nov 14, 2013
op,ks
my stock rom build prop says
ro.build.id=JDQ39
ro.build.display.id=JDQ39.L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.version.incremental=L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.version.sdk=17
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.2.2
ro.build.date=Wed Sep 18 00:02:17 KST 2013
ro.build.date.utc=1379430137
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=se.infra
ro.build.host=R0302-18
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.product.model=SPH-L600
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=meliusltespr
ro.product.device=meliusltespr
ro.product.board=MSM8960
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=msm8960
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=meliusltespr
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=meliusltespr-user 4.2.2 JDQ39 L600VPUAMI6 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/meliusltespr/meliusltespr:4.2.2/JDQ39/L600VPUAMI6:user/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=phone,chameleon
# Samsung Specific Properties
ro.build.PDA=L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.hidden_ver=L600VPUAMI6
ro.build.changelist=1708610
ro.product_ship=true
ro.chipname=MSM8930AB
ro.build.version.software=MI6
# end build properties
# Evolution RIL (8xxx)

so the boot.img kernel has to be 3.4.0-1379430137 in order to pair correctly with the backed up stock rom

I see.

vwbug2007

Aug 26, 2010
This one sets apart from other mega 6.3 sprint brand model interesting?

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Ive flashed my old htc evo 4g and rooted a chinese made 7 inch tablet and a pcstik no problem

vwbug2007

Aug 26, 2010
can you pull build.prop from your in /system folder? and compare it to my build prop if its the same or ?

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

and take a snapshot of about phone screen itll tell what version is i looked at rhat on mine and at sprint store yep wrong boot.img for stock rom
can you pull build.prop from your in /system folder? and compare it to my build prop if its the same or ?

sasokutenshin

Jan 31, 2012
Nashville, TN
Can someone on the latest rooted stock Sprint check in their Settings> My device> Display and tell me if there's an option for the touch keys backlight? Mine suddenly disappeared and I can't explain it.

EDIT: I figured it out. Gravity Box can do a few useful things on Touchwiz despite being intended for pure Android, but there are occasionally some unexpected bugs. Disabled GB module, rebooted, and the touch key option was back in settings.

Last edited:

MWO137

Feb 22, 2014
Troubleshooting the L600

I downloaded that img file you posted about from TWRP (unable to post a link until I post ten times..)

I tried to move the file to my root folder using ES File explorer but got a "permission denied" message

If I click on the file (from my download folder) flashify asks if I want to Flash recovery?

I decided to check here first. Please advise, ty!

The other alternative seems to try using the terminal emulator app with the commands from TWRP

So I am a techy type guy like 90% of you here, that being said after scouring the net since Saturday to find a root process for my Sprint Mega I took it upon my self to test a couple different ways of rooting at my expense. Well good news for me and you (if you are in need of root).

Now first things first this method requires the use of kingo .... Now I know what's been said about kingo and inspite of that I used it and it worked great! I found a thread here of someone using it and it worked as well. The app did it's job but I was wanting TWRP as well. So this is how I did it.

2. Go download Twrp2.img file from teamw (for mega 6.3 search thier site to find it) find the recovery that "works" for me. Save this file to the root of SD card.

3. After kingo has ran and you have root access go to the market and download FLASHIFY for root users.

Now navigate to flashify and select the option to flash recovery, find your recovery.img on SD and flash it.

Now make sure to power off after install and press power button-home button-volume up keys all simultaneously. This will put the phone in recovery.* Do this to keep the phone from writing over your file that was just flashed.*

Now you have root and with out the loss of any data, no wiping or factory resets! All radios work and from what I can tell no problems whatsoever!
All credits for software goes to those that created it, I merely put together a process for you to try! I take no responsibility for damage to your device. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK! enjoy

moosiemooses

Mar 3, 2013
germantown

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393202312756.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393202312756.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 298
  • uploadfromtaptalk1393202324864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393202324864.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 312
  • uploadfromtaptalk1393202336535.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393202336535.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 296
  • uploadfromtaptalk1393202352042.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393202352042.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 277

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

look nice i'm a nook how did u get it up and running pls share

Flash the ROM of choice and gapps, download phone info apk open it and click phone information and click gsm or wcdma whatever its on and change it to CDMA. Lte works but won't call out or text out. Only works on 3g. After you're all set up thank @Silesh.Nair.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using xda premium
    noobin it rofl

look nice i'm a nook how did u get it up and running pls share

This guide might help, otherwise it's like trying to speak a foreign language fluently on day 1, i'm on day 4 or 5 myself and I think most members assume (as they should) that we reviewed the basic threads first.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2281656
    Which phone info apk would that be? I checked the Play Store (obviously), but there are several by that name. And of course I don't even know if it's something that's on the Play Store.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttccn1htd0p2vnz/Phone info.apk

Thank you, sir. Just flashed to Beanstalk on my Sprint Mega 6.3 and installed that app, set it to CDMA, but I'm not getting any LTE at all. Any suggestions?

Any time. In order to get LTE go into your settings, mobile settings, set to LTE then go into phone info app set to LTE/CDMA. Should have LTE. Can receive calls and texts but can't send them.