[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

599 posts
Thanks Meter: 669

By Cyb3rGlitch, Senior Member on 19th October 2012, 11:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd November 2012, 11:19 AM |#161  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
It would be good if there was some kind of 'inertia' setting.

Allow Lux to average/smooth/integrate the readings as it does today (with jitter control and dynamic response delays), but once Lux does decide a target screen brightness to go for, have it do that slowly (i.e. let the user set the "Fade brightness changes" setting to a quite high number of seconds, and maybe the number of steps). And maybe ignore this 'inertia' setting the first few times after the screen wakes up so the brightness is about right quickly when you first wake up the phone in new ambient lighting conditions.

I'm thinking the user experience doing that may be a good complement to the settings that smooth the target screen brightness Lux goes for, when the brightness changes frequently... In my car (using sat nav near the windscreen) I still struggle to get the best Lux settings for when the car goes under street lights, and headlights from other cars shine through the back window on to the phone's sensor. I feel that if only the phones screen brightness would change even more slowly the experience would be a lot better. (I would try small dynamic response delays and higher 'inertia' to better smooth out the effect of temporary changes in brightness)

And in a perfect world, Lux's Locale plugin support would also allow a setting for 'inertia'

Hope that make sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to WibblyW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WibblyW Ad-Free

2nd November 2012, 11:26 AM |#162  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyb3rGlitch

Doesn't adjust all the time in manual mode, or automatic mode? i.e. does it fix the issue or not? :P

In auto mode. Sorry

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
2nd November 2012, 06:32 PM |#163  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 40.75659° N 73.98626° W
Thanks Meter: 2,289

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WibblyW

It would be good if there was some kind of 'inertia' setting.

Only if it could be disabled in settings since some (like myself) do not like proximity or movement related monitoring due to increased battery drain.

Quote:

Allow Lux to average/smooth/integrate the readings as it does today (with jitter control and dynamic response delays), but once Lux does decide a target screen brightness to go for, have it do that slowly (i.e. let the user set the "Fade brightness changes" setting to a quite high number of seconds, and maybe the number of steps). And maybe ignore this 'inertia' setting the first few times after the screen wakes up so the brightness is about right quickly when you first wake up the phone in new ambient lighting conditions.

I'm thinking the user experience doing that may be a good complement to the settings that smooth the target screen brightness Lux goes for, when the brightness changes frequently... In my car (using sat nav near the windscreen) I still struggle to get the best Lux settings for when the car goes under street lights, and headlights from other cars shine through the back window on to the phone's sensor. I feel that if only the phones screen brightness would change even more slowly the experience would be a lot better. (I would try small dynamic response delays and higher 'inertia' to better smooth out the effect of temporary changes in brightness)

And in a perfect world, Lux's Locale plugin support would also allow a setting for 'inertia'

If I am not mistaken you can already adjust this by changing the delay rates in Settings, Sample Collection. Have you tried adjusting these two settings? I have not - I only note that they are present but they sound like they might do the trick for you.

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't adjust all the time in manual mode, or automatic mode? i.e. does it fix the issue or not?

Quote:

Doesn't adjust all the time in manual mode, or automatic mode? i.e. does it fix the issue or not? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty07allstar

In auto mode. Sorry

I am currently using the auto mode and it seems to be adjusting mostly okay. While some of the readings may occasionally be odd the brightness change is generally good and noticeable.
2nd November 2012, 07:09 PM |#164  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_limited

Only if it could be disabled in settings since some (like myself) do not like proximity or movement related monitoring due to increased battery drain.

If I am not mistaken you can already adjust this by changing the delay rates in Settings, Sample Collection. Have you tried adjusting these two settings? I have not - I only note that they are present but they sound like they might do the trick for you.

To your first point, no, I DON'T mean any kind of movement detection. By "inertia" I meant only the 'effective' speed with which brightness changes happen, like the changes have inertia - they take time to build up...

To you second point, if I'm also not mistaken, these delay settings affect the rate at which Lux decides what brightness setting to go for (the way it collects light samples), NOT the rate at which the display brightness changes towards that setting. As I mentioned, I'm asking for extra settings that affect the "Fade brightness changes" setting. Not the same thing, I think.
2nd November 2012, 08:11 PM |#165  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 40.75659° N 73.98626° W
Thanks Meter: 2,289

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

To your first point, no, I DON'T mean any kind of movement detection. By "inertia" I meant only the 'effective' speed with which brightness changes happen, like the changes have inertia - they take time to build up...

To you second point, if I'm also not mistaken, these delay settings affect the rate at which Lux decides what brightness setting to go for (the way it collects light samples), NOT the rate at which the display brightness changes towards that setting. As I mentioned, I'm asking for extra settings that affect the "Fade brightness changes" setting. Not the same thing, I think.

Aha, I misunderstood what you were looking for. You may be correct about those settings - I have not played with them yet - I was only guessing.

---
Spes in virtute est. (via XDA app)
2nd November 2012, 09:26 PM |#166  
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
This app has worked perfectly for me. I've actually gone a different route and disabled automatic mode and just have a few tasker profiles that change the manual screen brightness depending on various states.

One small annoyance is when it comes to updating the app, I have to reintegrate it to the system each time. Is there a way that it can update and stay a system app?

If not, it's not the end of the world.

I LOVE this application.
3rd November 2012, 06:52 AM |#167  
Thanks Meter: 207

More
10/31 Dropbox version doesn't stop the brightness from randomly increasing while I'm set in manual mode. Sure hope you can figure this out yet.
3rd November 2012, 07:37 AM |#168  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor

10/31 Dropbox version doesn't stop the brightness from randomly increasing while I'm set in manual mode. Sure hope you can figure this out yet.

Double check that the system auto brightness hasn't somehow re-enabled itself.
3rd November 2012, 09:59 AM |#169  

More
Doesn't work on galaxy advance. Light sensor values are misinterpreted. It only shows 10, 100 and 1000lx

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9070P
3rd November 2012, 10:01 AM |#170  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo`

Doesn't work on galaxy advance. Light sensor values are misinterpreted. It only shows 10, 100 and 1000lx

That sounds normal for a low end or older Samsung device.
3rd November 2012, 08:43 PM |#171  

More
Quote:

That sounds normal for a low end or older Samsung device.

Hm... but at the Samsung sensor test menu (*#0*#) I can see correct lux values. :-\

The Following User Says Thank You to VooDoo` For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VooDoo` Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)