[DEV][CDMA/GSM] Group Effort to Optimize Existing HoneyComb Ports

Search This thread

lasimo0

Jul 31, 2007
i have the 2.5 alpha version of the honeycomb i was trying to find the better than life honeycomb rom that oldmacnut posted before he stopped developing on it... i need the cdma i seen the gsm and people asking on there as well for the cdma version anyone have that one?

Do you mean the one named 2.5.1 Remix? I have that one and currently have it on my vzw tab. Short-term ...it has a bad wifi bug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

micha3lall3n

Sep 21, 2010
no it was the one release after the 2.5.1 remix the better than life one that oldmacnut released before all the stuff happend sucks hes gone theres barley anything for cdma as it is i seen some stuff going on in spacemoose1s github is he working on anything for the sgt or is it for something else... be awesome to get ics on it... one can dream lol

lasimo0

Jul 31, 2007
no it was the one release after the 2.5.1 remix the better than life one that oldmacnut released before all the stuff happend sucks hes gone theres barley anything for cdma as it is i seen some stuff going on in spacemoose1s github is he working on anything for the sgt or is it for something else... be awesome to get ics on it... one can dream lol

Just checked and I have that one, too. Never tried it out. PM me and I will share. As for current CDMA development, check out Cubed 3. Really digging it so far.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: micha3lall3n

letterboxdreams

Apr 11, 2006
Richmond VA

PM sent.

10chars

micha3lall3n

Sep 21, 2010
cdma honeycomb

if anyone has the cdma better than life honeycomb 1.0 beta rom can u please send a link or post one, been just about everywhere to get it still stuck on 2.3 for tab would love to have honeycomb on it... File i have is corrupt. thanks in advance

also oldmacnut gave persmission in one of his threads stating he doesnt care if we share links to his better than life roms, also opened a new thread trying to get some links up... any help is greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full credit goes to Ssserpentine, SpaceMoose, and OldMacnut for their work on their united efforts to port Honeycomb to our tablets! It seems they are no longer working on it so I decided to create this thread and see what we all could to do together to improve what they have given us!

The point of this thread is to find ways to gather anyone with knowledge on developing, even if its just the "lowly 7-Zippers" like me, to see how we can remove minor bugs and small issues from the ROM. I know Oldmacnut was going to pick it up, but he has a lot on his plate right now and he has been in pain and is more interested in finishing the CM7 Port instead. I respect his decision, but so many people want honeycomb working on our tabs. So I am turning to the dev community here to see if we can group together and fix things in this rom together. If we cant solve the major bugs, lets address all the little things, cuz the little things add up.

Spacemoose made a list of suggestions from users earlier on how to solve minor issues, and little workarounds, but I would like to see if there is a way to roll up those fixes into one full updated ROM flashable through a zip/odin/heimdall file, and see if we can come up with more. You can see this post here, but I have added them to the second post as well in a more organized form.

Some Useful Links as Well:
    SpaceMoose's Github
    6-19-11 Apps Confirmed Working on [CDMA] / [GSM] Honeycomb Alpha 2.5

Currently Known Bugs:

CDMA

A) Red Border Around Screen at Random Times
    B) Constant Gallery Force Close
    C) Stock Launcher hangs for many seconds at a time randomly
    D) SD Card Does Not Mount
    E) Youtube app does not work
    F) Orientation Sensor is not functional
    G) Honeycomb thinks Device Keyboard is enabled by default

H) When pressing Quick Settings, an image that is semi transparent that is supposed to cover the entire screen isnt scaled properly
    I) HQ Youtube does not work (LQ does on the mobile site)
    J) Quick Settings Shortcut on Bottom Right Side (Wi-Fi Toggle, Brightness Slider, etc) appears for a second but disappears afterwards.
    K) Flash Player is not Fully Functional

GSM - Please Submit or confirm if the above bugs are the same and/or you have different ones!

Red - Signifies an issue that is unaddressed or has not been solved yet.
    Orange - Signifies a Temporary Fix or Workaround is mentioned in the post I linked to.
    Blue - Will signify a temporary fix or a work around that we have been able to include in a flashable file
    Green - Will signify a bug that has been completely fixed in a flashable file.

------------------------------------------
    Lets put our minds together and see what we can do guys! :) Btw this was inspired by Rodderik's thread [SPRINT][CDMA]Galaxy Tab (SPH-P100) Mega Development Starter Thread (CWM, EF17 TAR), so if youre interested in this, you might like his thread too!
    Ok done some immediate testing on my GSM Tab for some of the known issues

A) Red Border Around Screen at Random Times
    Confirmed
    Solution: is the same as the CDMA

B) Constant Gallery Force Close
    Confirmed
    Solution: Cannot be fixed through Setting, crashes as soon as you try to Manage Applications

C) Stock Launcher hangs for many seconds at a time randomly
    Not really was slow on boot but no major problems

D) SD Card Does Not Mount
    Confirmed
    Solution: Haven't tested fix yet

E) Youtube app does not work
    Confirmed
    Solution: Confirmed

F) Orientation Sensor is not functional
    Confirmed
    Solution: "Rotating Screen" flips screen incorrectly so that capacitive buttons are on the top of the device

G) Honeycomb thinks Device Keyboard is enabled by default
    Confirmed
    Solution: Must be set on each boot

H) When pressing Quick Settings, an image that is semi transparent that is supposed to cover the entire screen isnt scaled properly
    Confirmed

I) HQ Youtube does not work (LQ does on the mobile site)
    Confirmed

J) Quick Settings Shortcut on Bottom Right Side (Wi-Fi Toggle, Brightness Slider, etc) appears for a second but disappears afterwards.
    The widget that display battery level, time, etc stays active however no settings are located underneath it. While this menu is expanded a press on the bottom bar will cause the settings to briefly appear but then the whole menu will close

K) Flash Player is not Fully Functional
    Not tested

"New" GSM bugs
    1. Wi-fi settings are not saved on restart
    2. Manage Applications and Running Services menu causes force close of settings
    3. Small thing but Tab's first start had language set to Spanish (Not sure if it was spanish but it certainly was not English)

And as always 3G does not work (tried APN settings but it wouldn't let me save)

Alright I'm back to MIUI until I can find some more time on my hands

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

What blows my mind is that they have created an almost perfect HC port for the $150.00 walmart sold viewsonic g-tablet by means of the flashback roms so why is it so hard to get HC working on our tabs? And why can't someone just dump the Rom from the gtab10.1 and use that as a starting point?

If it were that simple I'm sure someone would have thought of that :p To be honest I think the problem is that the Tab is an extremely fractured device; it was really the first Android tablet to directly compete with the iPad, so it was spread as wide as possible. That's great for Samsung who got a pretty large base of customer but sucks for devs because the GSM and CDMA are 2 very different devices not to mention the P-1000N. When I got my Tab last month the first thing I noticed in this forum was the fragmentation between the different versions of Tabs. More profoundly this means that the developers are split apart, usually when one dev makes a break through everyone else can take advantage of it (i.e. the amazing Voodoo Sound/Color hacks) but not here. I feel like everyone is by themselves and I truly feel bad for the developers because they must make their own breakthroughs on top of dealing with complaints from Tab users with other versions that they want this awesome thing on their Tab. As if its no big deal to go and buy a $450 device to develop something as a hobby and then release it for free for people on the internet after already buying nearly the exact same device.

Sadly I think the Tab is a perfect storm working against modifying it in any ground breaking ways. Don't get me wrong I love my Tab and will try to help getting Honeycomb running but I almost feel like it would just be easier to wait for Ice Cream Sandwhich. /rant
    GSM Tab here I'll flash the old 2.5 alpha release and confirm these bugs, see what else I can do.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using xda premium
    Guess I was speaking from more of a CDMA point of view…I appreciate all of the dev efforts, regardless of carrier or device, but Jim took 90% of the active CDMA Tab support with him when he left (and Dan's links are down too), and the landscape is kind bleak for us. I know there's a couple people working on CM7, maybe MIUI, but the CDMA dream seems to be lost at this point; there seems to be very little direction, and we no longer have even a Gingerbread build to really fall back on (unless I'm mistaken…I trolled through 8 pages in the dev forums before I called it quits, and didn't see anything other than Boussh's work, which I already have).

I guess my main poin was respect… too many people troll these threads, demanding results in return for their donations, and that kind of attitude is what drives devs, like Space, to call it quits on promising projects. I just wanted to try to persuade people to treat ALL devs with the respect they deserve, before we end up losing all of them for good. :)

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium
    Its weird,

Honeycomb is more or less froyo based, obviously as we had hc long before gb, so at the time when I started getting into this whole dev thing hc/froyo seemed just different to me.

But after working on the abortion called gingerbread, and working onbthe kernel stuff, froyo to me, is starting to look like a much more viable and dev friendly option.

Alot if the work Dan did in hc was from scratch, or from the sdk, etc. The audio fix I did was from both.

The big issue on getting hc up and going into a usuable rom is source, we really really need that source for hc. Otherwise, its going to be a long drawn out road of trial and error building with alot of these issues never really getting fixed.

Truth is,
    No device with our hardware exists with hc, so no drivers that we need.
    We need Google to release the hc source.

I liked hc on my tab just like y'all, but.......I know its just a novel weekend fun toy till we get better resources.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium