Samsung thinks that 2.2 is a marketing Gimmick?

Search This thread

CharlieBoy808

Jul 12, 2010
Beaverton, OR
charlieboy808.com
Ok I know that its bad to jump to conclusions on this but I was listening to a recent podcast on Engadget where they were talking about Samsung devices. I saw it on their site and I knew I just had to listen having a Vibrant. I was enjoying their bashing about on things and then they mentioned that a Samsung rep told them that they think of 2.2 as a marketing gimmick. I'm sure that's just some guy who doesn't understand what 2.2 or 2.3 do for our phones.

But what do you think about that? I mean looking at how long it takes to get updates for the phone, does a part of you believe that this maybe true?

What's your thoughts?

hmm i can't post the link since i read more than i post but it's on engadget's site and here's the rest of the URL after .com

/2010/11/13/engadget-podcast-219-11-13-2010/

At about 00:17:25 of the podcast.

zerosource

Jul 29, 2010
it doesn't really matter we get 2.2 or 2.3(your dream only) or not. It only matters they sell it more or even more.

KGaines

Oct 18, 2010
Houston, TX
Well, I can almost guarantee that the Froyo update is gonna be held until after the holiday season. T-Mobile is as guilty as Samsung for this. They think that people will opt for the newer phones with 2.2 and don't want their sales diminished by having it available on older handsets.

Personally, I don't think the average consumer cares that much. Only people like us and similar communities keep on top of what each version does better than it's predecessor.

In the end, you're far better off flashing one of the ROMs here anyway. I've got buddies at work still kickin' it with the G1 due to it's versatility. Why would I want the 2.2 update from T-mobile? Crappy TouchWiz, bloatware and all that nastiness. Only thing I can see it useful for is if I wanted to send in the phone for warranty work.

Rodriguez92

May 9, 2010
+1 im on the onyx rom right now and tell you the truth the only thing i want an official 2.2 froyo from tmobile would be to iron out the very lil tiny things thats wrong on this rom other than that i can care less ..

as for gingerbread 2.3 im pretty sure we will have it due to the amazing work of people like som, viral, eugene, and master.

Well, I can almost guarantee that the Froyo update is gonna be held until after the holiday season. T-Mobile is as guilty as Samsung for this. They think that people will opt for the newer phones with 2.2 and don't want their sales diminished by having it available on older handsets.

Personally, I don't think the average consumer cares that much. Only people like us and similar communities keep on top of what each version does better than it's predecessor.

In the end, you're far better off flashing one of the ROMs here anyway. I've got buddies at work still kickin' it with the G1 due to it's versatility. Why would I want the 2.2 update from T-mobile? Crappy TouchWiz, bloatware and all that nastiness. Only thing I can see it useful for is if I wanted to send in the phone for warranty work.

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
+1 im on the onyx rom right now and tell you the truth the only thing i want an official 2.2 froyo from tmobile would be to iron out the very lil tiny things thats wrong on this rom other than that i can care less ..

as for gingerbread 2.3 im pretty sure we will have it due to the amazing work of people like som, viral, eugene, and master.

I am running an unofficial Froyo ROM, and yet to find "wrong", ymmv.

reuthermonkey

Mar 2, 2009
St. Louis
Ok I know that its bad to jump to conclusions on this but I was listening to a recent podcast on Engadget where they were talking about Samsung devices. I saw it on their site and I knew I just had to listen having a Vibrant. I was enjoying their bashing about on things and then they mentioned that a Samsung rep told them that they think of 2.2 as a marketing gimmick. I'm sure that's just some guy who doesn't understand what 2.2 or 2.3 do for our phones.

But what do you think about that? I mean looking at how long it takes to get updates for the phone, does a part of you believe that this maybe true?

What's your thoughts?

hmm i can't post the link since i read more than i post but it's on engadget's site and here's the rest of the URL after .com

/2010/11/13/engadget-podcast-219-11-13-2010/

At about 00:17:25 of the podcast.
Well, considering that a Vibrant Froyo ROM already leaked, either that Samsung Rep is full of crap (likely), or Engadget staff is (even MORE likely).
If that were the case, ATT, Sprint, and Verizon would all have released Froyo for their GalaxyS devices. So yeah, I pin the blame on Samsung...

CharlieBoy808

Jul 12, 2010
Beaverton, OR
charlieboy808.com
I do find it hard to believe that t-mobile is to blame here considering the other galaxy s devices that have yet to implement as well.

And yes it's true a rom here would be a lot better. Not to say that an official rom would be terrible. All roms have bugs, but you would think by now that samsung would want the best for their consumers. Even if they don't know what 2.2 is. Oh and if you were wondering, yes I'm still on the stock rom. I'm just not ready to redo all my settings on my phone when I update to a new rom.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
I do find it hard to believe that t-mobile is to blame here considering the other galaxy s devices that have yet to implement as well.

And yes it's true a rom here would be a lot better. Not to say that an official rom would be terrible. All roms have bugs, but you would think by now that samsung would want the best for their consumers. Even if they don't know what 2.2 is. Oh and if you were wondering, yes I'm still on the stock rom. I'm just not ready to redo all my settings on my phone when I update to a new rom.

Yeah, I am frustrated with the Samsung heading into Android as well.
They marketed Galaxy S as a such a great phone (which it is) with the ability to upgrade it to the latest (at the time of the launch) OS within months, yet they have released new hardware - Galaxy Tab - with 2.2, and keep the Galaxy S phone users out dry - thanks to these boards I do not have to rely on them, but I did void the warranty by rooting my device and installing the custom ROM. And now they are already marketing Gingerbread platform that will ultimately become second Google dev phone, and again let everyone dry on a Galaxy S phone market.
I do want to get the real Google phone, and knowing that I don't have to rely on the carriers to release the update for me, but seeing how it will be a Samsung device makes me uneasy.

Last edited:

Krzysiek_CK

Oct 27, 2010
I do want to get the real Google phone, and knowing that I don't have to rely on the carriers to release the update for me, but seeing how it will be a Samsung device makes me uneasy.
Nexus S could be a good thing. Very good hardware, Samsung, combined with the best OS development, Google.

iynfynity

Sep 21, 2010
Can't google release the firmwares to our phone?

raduque

Nope, because it is in the hands of Samsung.
Google release the OS to the manufacturers and carriers, and it trickledowns from there.
The exception Nexus One, since it is a Google phone made by HTC.

According to T-Mobile, Google is the one that pushed out the 2.2 OTA for the myTouch3g 1.0.

Google can't push out updates for phones like the Vibrant, Droid X, HTC Evo, etc. because of TouchWiz, Motoblur and Sense. Google has absolutely no way to update those manufacturer customizations, they can only push stock android to devices.

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
Plug in a set of headphones or an AUX cable to a stereo with no microphone built in and make a call. You'll find something wrong then.

Oh yeah, do you have an external SD card bigger than 2gb? If so, try copying more than 2gb of data to it.
AUX
I see. That's why I don't see any wrong I am not using that feature.
SD card.
I didn't see that, hmm will see if I can source a bigger card.
Did you try unmounting the card from the phone and mounting back? I had issues when I flashed 2.2 with my external card, but re-mounting on the phone resolved it.

iynfynity

Sep 21, 2010
Nope, because it is in the hands of Samsung.
Google release the OS to the manufacturers and carriers, and it trickledowns from there.
The exception Nexus One, since it is a Google phone made by HTC.

Screw Samsung!! Google releases update quickly than Samsung right?

smeadow

Sep 29, 2010
Samsung is busy kicking out leading edge hardware with little resources available to post sales support. So far samsung has distanced themselves from competitors while alienating some customers. A mistake maybe, a gamble definitely. Going past the holidays presents the lose of existing customers, they've need to make gesture soon.

raduque

You're talking about a plain old set of headphones that DO NOT have a mic built in? Or an AUX cable to a stereo (again, with NO MIC)? And you get call audio through the headphones and use the phone's built-in mic?

That's funny, because if so, you're the only one that it works for.

Remember: NO MIC BUILT INTO THE HEADPHONES.

AUX
I see. That's why I don't see any wrong I am not using that feature.
SD card.
I didn't see that, hmm will see if I can source a bigger card.
Did you try unmounting the card from the phone and mounting back? I had issues when I flashed 2.2 with my external card, but re-mounting on the phone resolved it.

Yeah, you won't see any problems if you use an inline mic, or a headset w/mic. I have a plain, no mic AUX cable to my car stereo - I listen to music, and when a call comes in I answer it and call audio comes through my car speakers and I talk using the phone's built-in mic.

As for the SD, yeah, I tried re-mounting it on the phone, and even formatting it on the phone too, but nothing fixed the fact that it was only showing up as a 2.2gb drive in Windows' Device Manager.

Last edited:

Ms_Vibrant

Aug 1, 2010
The galaxy s is a fine device with really good hardware.. and I really don't have a big of an urge to have froyo, though it would be nice if i could have it on my phone.. but i think samsung is just behind in other aspects knowing that the mobile industry is very highly competitive... from a business perspective, samsung may be all about their sales and profit while ignoring oring their customers' complaints and needs... it's pretty obvious that majority of smarphone users are not power users, nor do they even know what the android os is, but still, samsung must deliver and execute an effective strategy that can refrain the power users from considering another brand.. htc and motorola are doing well in supporting their devices, samsung must do the same if they want to remain in the competition..

what i dont understand is.. what is preventing them from releasing an update that the end-users yearn for when the tab is already on 2.2 and Europe has it too.. oh, it must the customizations from different carriers that is hindering and prolonging the said update.. ughh..

DMaverick50

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, Tx
I wonder what our xda devs think, I feel like many of the awesome devs here couldve led a team to get froyo on the Vibrant and had it done long, long ago. Then again I know nothing about development so I'd be interested to read what the more experienced devs think, is it reasonable for it to take this long in the hands of skilled devs? Or does it seem like an incapable personnel problem at Samsung?

Anyway, i would think Sam would want to release it before xmas because after tethering, flash, more ram, all kinds of improvements its like a whole new generation of SGS it gives them a whole new advertising campaign. At least thats how I see it, when i got froyo for my nexus it was like getting a whole new phone.

Maybe people who dont know better will not miss 2.2, but considering its massive popularity, eventually the very ubiquitous SGS is going to be so far behind that it will become prominent news and even novice Android owners are going to take Samsung's inability to update into account when it comes time to replace their SGS. Surely Samsung realizes this.

Personaly I absolutely love their hardware, Ive had three HTC Androids and this one Samsung and its my favorite hardware, but Samsung is now at least below HTC and Moto when I look for my next phone, updates are way more important than Samsung wants them to be.