[APP][4.0+][ROOT] SCR Screen Recorder

Search This thread

Failrunner

Aug 19, 2012
I used the direct audio function on the new Nexus 7 and it works like a dream but when I tried it on Nvidia Shield or Ouya the drivers mute the devices audio completely and cause the shield to reboot. On the Ouya the controls stop working except the mouse. I'll try some other devices.

Edit: Just tried my Jxd S7800b which is a rockchip device and that one worked. It was laggy but it did work with direct audio.

Last edited:

Real_JESRadio

Dec 13, 2012
Davenport
johnnyenglishshow.com
Been using this great app to record ROM reviews. Works flawlessly on the LG UI ROMs, my newest device, LG G2 (LS980), until I installed an AOSP 4.4.2 ROM. when I record several min long videos the file will not show up in documents at all. Tried moving the file to the download folder, it showed but would not copy to desktop as i always do. The mp4 will play on the phone though. Tried recording a few seconds and no issues at all. I do have the Pro app. Tried different settings in SCR Pro to no avail. Is there maybe an issue with AOSP or 4.4.2 that makes larger files not work? Been very happy otherwise. This has been a huge plus for my video reviews!

titilleur

Nov 1, 2011
Paris
Hello everybody

My settings to record my N7100 without much lag on android 4.3 with SCR recorder paid version:

settings:

-Encoder = FFmpeg MPEG4 encoder software
-Resolution = 720 x 406 (720P)
-Bitrate = 10Mbps
-Frame rate = 15 fps
-Vertical-frames = ON

arjiegodz

Jul 9, 2012
tried this and its working. its just a bit laggy. i hope it can be fix soon though.

Sent from my using Tapatalk 2

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
Is there maybe an issue with AOSP or 4.4.2 that makes larger files not work?
Is this issue specific to large files e.g. above 4GB or do you always get it on 4.4.2?
Do I understand you correctly that you can play files on your device but can't copy it via USB in MTP mode?
It may be an issue with file permissions or some bug in MPT... I can't reproduce it on my devices so I'd have to rely on your feedback.

Real_JESRadio

Dec 13, 2012
Davenport
johnnyenglishshow.com
Is this issue specific to large files e.g. above 4GB or do you always get it on 4.4.2?
Do I understand you correctly that you can play files on your device but can't copy it via USB in MTP mode?
It may be an issue with file permissions or some bug in MPT... I can't reproduce it on my devices so I'd have to rely on your feedback.

Only happened on AOSP 4.4.2 roms. I havent tried to see what size fike i can go up to before it fails to transfer. Works flawlessly on the LG UI 4.2.2 though. Can record and copy any size. And to answer the other question yes, i can view the video on my device while on AOSP but it will not copy to desktop

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

lindsay_jude

Feb 27, 2014
I'm on a Droid Maxx using KitKat.

My videos have been flashing green at the beginning and the video "twitches" throughout

The H264 and MPEG-4 SP encoders crash instantly, so I use Software MPEG-4 (slow)

I have tried a variety of frame rates and bit rates. Some have corrupt files, others do the "twitching"

I sent an email today, but I want to make sure this is going to get fixed soon. I use this application for my work.

**edit** I just tried using the bitrate, and the framerate suggested by titilleur. The "twitches" are now more clear flashes of the previous screen. I then added the lower resolution to the mix and found that the "twitches," though still clearer, occur faster.

Suggestions on settings to fix the problem?

Last edited:
Z

ZeroX7C

I can't install the audio driver, it just says failed. ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
Latest isn't installing on Kitkat.

Could you describe a problem in more detail?
Are you talking about latest audio driver or about general SCR installation issue?

If it's about audio driver, could you try installing it and just after you get installation failed message tap "Send bug report" from SCR Settings menu?
Please attach contents of /proc/1/mountinfo and /proc/self/mountinfo to the bugreport

You may also try using latest version of SuperSu if that's not an app you're using for root control.

Z

ZeroX7C

Which Alpha version are you using?
Did it worked with previous versions?
Please select "Send bug report" from SCR Settings after you attempt to install the driver.

Hey there, thanks for trying to help, I've updated to the latest and it worked (although during recording it still crashes, gonna figure that out first!)

iwobanas

Aug 26, 2013
The installation in general, it just refuses to install. I'm just using the stock Superuser app that came with Slimkat and it hasn't had a problem in the past.

That's unusual. Many users are using SCR on KitKat. Maybe try completely uninstalling the app (or even removing /data/data/com.iwobanas.screenrecorder.free) and installing it again.

Locheed

Aug 29, 2011
Vantaa
Very nice app. Recorded fine with a software MPEG-4 but with H264 or MPEG-4 SP it didn't work correctly. With H264, I received error R139 every time when trying to start recording. With MPEG-4 SP I was able to start record once, but when saving video it just gave me error R303 and video couldn't be played. Second test with this started to give me same R139 error too.

Tested with different settings (resolution, audio off, GPU/CPU) but nothing helped. Just wanted to let developer know, for me it's not big issue since I don't record videos that much.

Rom is a ViperS 5.1.0 for HTC Sensation.

PickledJaW

Dec 13, 2011
Springfield
I like the app, I think it is great. But, I do have a problem and I'm assuming it is probably with Samsung and 4.3. No matter what settings I use, my phone just lags really bad when I use this.

I have the Note 2 (sch-i605) running 4.3, stock rooted. I have Xposed framework installed, just running a tweak on the battery and Wi-Fi icon, and I'm using Nova launcher. I clear any background apps to make sure something else isn't showing it down.

The only encoder that works is the Software MPEG4. The other ones just give me a static image. It doesn't seem to matter what screen resolution I use, unless I drop it to the minimum. Bitrate seems best at 15, and fps only seems to matter if I go above 30. But still with any combination I have tried, it just becomes too laggy to really use. I haven't gotten any error messages with anything.

Any idea of something I should try? Could Xposed, or Nova, or both, be causing an issue? Or am I just screwed between Samsung and 4.3? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

titilleur

Nov 1, 2011
Paris
Hello everybody !

Great ! With the leaked Android 4.4.2 N7100XXUFNB4 by @cosmyndemeter for N7100

My settings is:

- Encoder = H264
- Resolution = 1280 x 720
- Graphic card = GPU+ ( with GPU or CPU lags of image color )
- Bitrate = 10 MPS
- Frame rate = 25 fps
- Vertical sync = disable
- Sounds = Mute ( no tested )

I take the best video screen ! Perfect ! Speed, no lags, and perfect graphic !
Unlike android 4.3, that did not work perfectly. With Android 4.4.2 leaked N7100XXUFNB4, recording the screen of my N7100 is perfect !

Thanks to @iwobanas for the GREAT app ! :good: :good: ;)

Look my video:

Select 720 HD or more for best looking ! ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

Official SCR Screen Recorder thread
    Check out SCR Screen Recorder, the Android most comprehensive screencast recording app.
    SCR Screen Recorder supports all Android versions since 4.0 and utilizes the best encoding method available on each platform. Since the first release in early 2013 SCR Screen Recorder is frequently updated and new features are added regularly.

Unique features:
    • SYSTEM AUDIO (requires root) - On most devices you can directly record in-game audio without quality loss caused by microphone recording speakers output. The "Internal + Mic" option allows to add a microphone commentary to the system audio recording. At the moment this feature is not available on Android 4.2 but it'll be added soon.

• FACE CAM - Share your emotions by adding a front-facing camera to your video. You can move the camera overlay around so that it doesn't obstruct important controls.

• NO ADS - Unlike other "free" screen recorders SCR never display any ads. Development of all my apps is supported only by donations.

• SETTINGS - No mater if you prefer to select simple presets or manually tweak every setting we've got you covered. SCR supports many customizations and provides performance and stability stats.

• ALPHA FEATURES - Let us know what's important to you in this thread or by joining SCR Alpha Testing Google+ community at http://goo.gl/PGYZ8r

SCR Screen Recorder uses various hacks and unofficial APIs which may not work on some devices and ROMs. If you encounter any issues try experimenting with different settings. In case that doesn't help select "Send bug report" from SCR Settings menu or ask for help in this thread. Note that some devices simply don't support certain encoding options so it doesn't make sense to complain that GPU+ image transformation doesn't work if GPU transformation works fine.

Google Play ban and "Dangerous app" warning
    SCR Pro got recently banned on Google Play and my developer account got terminated.
    This is probably caused by the recent Google Play raid on apps switching SELinux to permissive mode. Unfortunately they haven't sent me the warning so I haven't got a chance to remove this feature. See SELinux section below for more details.

Free SCR Pro for everyone!
    I don't want to charge anyone twice for the same app and no publishing method allows for migration of thousands users who already paid for the app, so I decided to release SCR Pro for free!
    You can grab the APK below and enjoy all the features of the latest release of SCR Pro on Google Play. No time limits, watermarks etc. Simply full-featured best Android screen recorder for free!
    Please consider donating to me, especially if you haven't purchased SCR Pro before, so that I continue development of this app.
    SCR Screen Recorder Pro v1.0.5
    SCR 5+ Pro v0.1.3 (no root, NO INTERNAL AUDIO, requires Lollipop)

In case you don't know how much to donate, the previous price of this app was $5 :)

SELinux details
    SCR Root switches SELinux to Permissive mode when it's running and restores it to the initial value after it's turned off. On most KK+ devices some SCR features won't work without disabling SELinux. Mainly the internal audio recording. If you'd prefer to try using SCR in SELinux enforcing mode let me know (state your Android version and why you need SELinux enabled during recording) and I may make this and option in SCR Settings.

Translations
    Huge thanks to the current translations authors!
    Arabic - MrNice14
    Chinese (Simplified) - iKira
    Chinese (Taiwan) - GPFsam
    Danish - evildog1
    Dutch - sdelange99
    Finnish - T3ER
    German - Paolo Poso
    Korean - Ghilwoon Kim
    Portuguese (Brazil) - Walisson85
    Russian - Mavryck
    Slovak - Pyler
    Spanish - DavBar9
    Due to the amount of work I'm not able to add new translations at the moment.

FAQ
    I’m getting error message when I start recording, what should I do?
    Try changing the resolution or switching between CPU/GPU image transformation mode. Some devices don’t support all settings combinations. If you can’t get any settings to work please tap “Report” button on error dialog and send a full report email including system log.

The recording works fine except the strange colours
    Select “Inverted color fix” in SCR Settings.
    attachment.php

Video contains some random colors instead of my screen
    This is caused by device video encoder crash. It usually can be fixed by changing Resolution.
    attachment.php

The video is sideways, how do I rotate it?
    Just like default Android Camera app SCR checks the screen orientation when the recording is started and adds orientation metadata to the video file. Some video players (e.g. VLC) ignore orientation metadata and always display video horizontally. YouTube and default android video player can detect orientation metadata correctly and play vertical videos. If you want a video to use vertical frames instead of rotation metadata select "Show advanced" in SCR Settings menu and then select "Vertical frames". Note that hardware video encoders and video players on many devices don't support vertical frames especially on high resolutions.

My phone gets really laggy when I start recording
    Phones hardware is not designed to record HD video and play 3D games at the same time so I have to push the limits. There is always going to be some slowdown. You can reduce a lag by reducing resolution and frame rate. Lower frame rate and lower resolution means that your phone needs less power for video encoding and has more spare resources to run other apps and games. If you’r running Android 4.3 try GPU+ image transformation mode which is much faster on some devices.

Smallprint
    This app collects anonymous usage statistics to help track bugs and analyze devices compatibility. This software uses unmodified code of FFmpeg 1.2 licensed under the LGPL.
    Marshmallow support added

I just released a small update adding Android 6.0 support.
    Sorry for the delay, I have very little time to work on this project lately.
    As I smashed my Nexus 6 I couldn't test it on any official Marshmallow ROM.
    I tested it on Nexus 4 Frank ROM and everything worked OK including internal audio.
    So what are the benefits of this over screencast?
    There are quire a few benefits of SCR over Screencast:
    1. SCR supports Tegra devices
    2. it works on Jelly Bean
    3. on many devices it's much faster (e.g. on Nexus 4 you can record 720p@40fps with minimal CPU ussage)
    4. SCR UI uses an floating window displayed ontop other apps so that you can start recording without capturing recorder UI
    5. it's in active development i.e. I keep adding new features and fixing bugs
    SCR Pro is now FREE for everyone!

After considering different ways to republish my app (Amazon App Store/new Google Play account/FDroid etc.) I decided to publish this app for free and hope that at least some of you will support my effort by donations :)
    I don't want to charge anyone twice for the same app and no publishing method allows for migration of thousands users who already purchased the app.
    You can grab the APK from this thread and enjoy all the features of the latest release of SCR Pro on Google Play. No time limits, watermarks etc. Simply full-featured best Android screen recorder for free!
    Unfortunately automatic updates won't work with sideloaded APKs but I'm going add update notifications directly to SCR in the future.

Please consider donating to me, especially if you haven't purchased SCR Pro before!
    I see. Is the app open source at least?
    I'm thinking of opensourcing it but I doubt if anyone will continue work on this project.
    Building SCR requires 1TB of free disk space and around 4 days of compiling.

It would make more sense to opensource the audio driver only but it would require quite a bit of additional work to write a stand-alone installer. I'll look into it when I have some free time.