How Long for 1st Charge

Search This thread

kersey

May 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20
I think the title says it all, with a few of us hopefully getting our phones over the next few days, am wondering how long the initial charge should be.

I'm know in times gone by they used to recommended 16 hrs first charge but how long should we charge for (am hoping you guys advise not long as I won't be able to wait to play with it).

Ayrlupine

Dec 31, 2009
I think the title says it all, with a few of us hopefully getting our phones over the next few days, am wondering how long the initial charge should be.

I'm know in times gone by they used to recommended 16 hrs first charge but how long should we charge for (am hoping you guys advise not long as I won't be able to wait to play with it).

One review, think it might've been Eldar's, said that a full charge took around 3 hours. If that's true, it's pretty amazing.

I don't think batteries really suffer very much from "battery memory" anymore, so you could probably just turn it on while it's charging! (I did with my Hero and it's fine.)

Hmmm we are not really sure at the moment, however, dombledore and staceymobiler can give you that information as they are the only two people here in the forum who have retail SGS2(AFAIK). Also, I am pretty sure that the documentation that will come with the phone will definitely have the details mentioned :) Just a few more days to go for you to get your hands on that!

Enjoy! And hope that helped :)

AJerman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
You can charge whatever amount you want, whenever you want. Modern batteries DO NOT require an initial charge, and can be used right out of the box. Out of the box, they'll come with around a half charge, so you can use that half charge before charging, or you can change immediately if you want. It doesn't matter at all.

kreoXDA

Nov 22, 2010
New York
You charge until the message appears in the notification bad "charge complete, please unplug".
There is no need to charge LITHIUM batteries for 16 hours the first time.

Further, the batt will come with some charge - you can safely use it up first, and charge later.

You can charge whatever amount you want, whenever you want. Modern batteries DO NOT require an initial charge, and can be used right out of the box. Out of the box, they'll come with around a half charge, so you can use that half charge before charging, or you can change immediately if you want. It doesn't matter at all.

Hey! Didnt know that!! was still stuck with the old mindset that i will have to charge the new phone out of the box for a specified amount of time and only then will i have be able to use it to avoid the memory effect. Are you saying that this is not required anymore?! wow!

AJerman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
Hey! Didnt know that!! was still stuck with the old mindset that i will have to charge the new phone out of the box for a specified amount of time and only then will i have be able to use it to avoid the memory effect. Are you saying that this is not required anymore?! wow!

Not with Lithium based batteries. Which is good, cause I'm not very good at charging new toys before use. :D