FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] What does 'freezing' an app exactly mean?

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By stbi, Member on 24th October 2011, 10:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th September 2013, 03:23 AM |#11  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by klacenas

ha ha ha! that was hilarious man

I understand and have frozen quite a few apps with TB Pro. My issue is there are shine pre-installed apps that I like to use, but when I run the task killer, they're always running. Is there a way I can fix them where they don't keep starting immediately after killing them, but still having them available when I want to use them?

28th September 2013, 07:30 AM |#12  
Flag kerala
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnebonn

I understand and have frozen quite a few apps with TB Pro. My issue is there are shine pre-installed apps that I like to use, but when I run the task killer, they're always running. Is there a way I can fix them where they don't keep starting immediately after killing them, but still having them available when I want to use them?

you can try greenify it will hibernate the apps and hence the app will be available for you any time
The Following User Says Thank You to sangalaxy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sangalaxy Ad-Free
28th September 2013, 07:31 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 189

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnebonn

Another app called greenify. Or using an autostart manager to prevent them from running without ykur intervention.
The Following User Says Thank You to dxppxd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dxppxd Ad-Free
28th September 2013, 09:07 PM |#14  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangalaxy

you can try greenify it will hibernate the apps and hence the app will be available for you any time

Thx a bunch. I dwld and installed the grenify app and disabled them, however, when I run my task killer the gallery app is always running. I wanted to greenify it, but it's not showing up in the greenify app, even when I did a search for it, it just took me to my home screen. I clicked on the app and it just opened but I didn't see any options to greenify it. Any suggestions? Thx for ur help.
8th October 2013, 04:16 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
so at the end is freezing and renaming the same thing? no one cleared that up, i usually just rename to BAK and thats it, what does TItanium apart from renaming?

ok i answer myself, freezing is the same as going to app manager, and selecting DISABLE
or from a root terminal using:
pm disable {package_name} (e.g. # pm disable com.android.browser)

wich calls:
/system/bin/pm

wich in turn contains:
# Script to start "pm" on the device, which has a very rudimentary
# shell.
#
base=/system
export CLASSPATH=$base/framework/pm.jar
exec app_process $base/bin com.android.commands.pm.Pm "[email protected]"

what it does is set a flag for a component to some of different values:
COMPONENT_ENABLED_STATE_DEFAULT
COMPONENT_ENABLED_STATE_DISABLED
among others. (http://developer.android.com/referen...geManager.html)

where does it store this flag: I DONT KNOW
is this flag a value inside some manifest/ini file? : IDK
is this flag st in the file system? IDK
can someone show me the light? :P

edit: I DONT KNOW for sure but i think it stores it in : /data/system/packages.xml
that is generated by package manager taking info fro each app manifest. i hope i am right, but dont take my word as absolute truth since it was a quick google research lol
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to arana1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arana1 Ad-Free
2nd June 2015, 11:02 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Renaming the apk file can result in unwanted behaviour... I learned by trial&error! I'm running MIUI 6 and wanted Google Play as default app store and not the MI Market. Renaming the apk file for the Mi Market gave me the result I wanted: launching Google Play whenever I clicked a link to a certain app. But that was until I rebooted the phone... it got stuck on the MI startup logo. After renaming the Mi Market apk file in twrp recovery, my phone booted again.
So might try freezing it to see if it will do the job properly.
5th June 2015, 08:09 PM |#17  

More
Freezing Mi Market with AppFreezer worked like a charm!
5th June 2015, 08:34 PM |#18  
Flag Garden City, MI
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jefe

Renaming the apk file can result in unwanted behaviour... I learned by trial&error! I'm running MIUI 6 and wanted Google Play as default app store and not the MI Market. Renaming the apk file for the Mi Market gave me the result I wanted: launching Google Play whenever I clicked a link to a certain app. But that was until I rebooted the phone... it got stuck on the MI startup logo. After renaming the Mi Market apk file in twrp recovery, my phone booted again.
So might try freezing it to see if it will do the job properly.

Depends what you mean by "renaming." Changing the extension from .apk to .apkold or .bak or something like that will harmlessly freeze the app since it's no longer seen as an apk by the system. Renaming the app itself is another thing entirely.
5th June 2015, 08:36 PM |#19  

More
I renamed the extension to .noapk and Miui wouldn't boot anymore.
24th July 2015, 12:25 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Good stuff
6th August 2016, 02:22 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstone

Freezing the app works via decreasing the temperature of the app to roughly 50 Kelvin. At this point the the app's molecular structure becomes a super condensed crystal lattice. Due to the nature of the crystal lattice, android treats the super dense app as non existent. Essentially the app is deleted from your system completely. However, think of it not as a permanent deletion but rather a reversible one. Should you chose to 'restore' the app, you can defrost the app. You could defrost the app using a microwave but I for one use TB Pro as it does a far better job.

Your very funny technical description of the freezing process probably just cost some dummy his/her phone in a microwave.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)