Recovery from a completely dead phone / captivate with no power

Search This thread

Deca4

Feb 13, 2010
This should be a sticky or added to a existing sticky.

Do you get no power when you turn on your phone? Nothing shows up on the screen at all. You have the worst brick possible that is recoverable. I wished this post came out before I did a warranty swap.

Here's how to fix: Credit goes to OP
- You need Odin program before starting.
1. Remove the battery, external SD card and SIM card.
2. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Open odin3
4. Insert battery.
5. Connect usb cable.
6. HOLD VOL+ and VOL- while plugging in USB

Got download screen and flashed with ODIN..
Let ODin finish.

*** This program recovered my dead phone with no power, nothing shows up on my screen. - Dead and also a stuck boot up screen.

I saw another post that has the similar set of instructions 6. HOLD VOL+ and VOL- and then press the power button. Nothing happens.

I am curious how people this post has helped. Can you respond when you these directions gets your phone up. Thank you.

darkamikaze

Aug 7, 2010
Candyland
this is cOLD. and has been posted numerous times.

A.K.A. Check [STOCK] Odin 1 click. and this does not recover from a completely dead phone that doesn't have button combo to download mode.

johan8

Nov 16, 2010
Some tools developer or reseller said that the phone is bricked,
and need Jtag tool to do recovery.

attachment.php

Jtag is usefull for empty or totally corrupted ROM recovery.

But if you see this, your phone is FAR from brick !

attachment.php

Just press the keys, bring it back to download mode

attachment.php

Then plug to cable and flash a working firmware again.

attachment.php

No special tools is needed,
No need to waste time and money send for repair,
Don't waste your good phone and don't break it for jtag.

Attachments

• i897.jpg
    i897.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 7,986
  • Dscf3002.jpg
    Dscf3002.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 8,522
  • Dscf3003.jpg
    Dscf3003.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 7,786
  • Dscf3005.jpg
    Dscf3005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 7,683

linggo

Oct 29, 2010
Behind You
Some tools developer or reseller said that the phone is bricked,
and need Jtag tool to do recovery.

attachment.php

Jtag is usefull for empty or totally corrupted ROM recovery.

But if you see this, your phone is FAR from brick !

attachment.php

Just press the keys, bring it back to download mode

attachment.php

Then plug to cable and flash a working firmware again.

attachment.php

No special tools is needed,
No need to waste time and money send for repair,
Don't waste your good phone and don't break it for jtag.

as my case....but i still can't enter download mode or recovery mode
and now... my pc can't detect my phone again...:(
what should i do now OMG:confused:

junktzu

Nov 2, 2010
San Diego
Are you seeing the Phone-!-PC symbol? I was in a situation where my phone wouldn't accept the the up/down key press to enter download mode. I ended up having to make a jig which basically will force the phone into download mode. You can search the forums on how to make one.

linggo

Oct 29, 2010
Behind You
Are you seeing the Phone-!-PC symbol? I was in a situation where my phone wouldn't accept the the up/down key press to enter download mode. I ended up having to make a jig which basically will force the phone into download mode. You can search the forums on how to make one.

yea...ur right...im seeing the Phone-!-PC symbol,so...must make a jig?

Attachments

• DSC01415.jpg
    DSC01415.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 244

MobileXT

Jan 15, 2010

Do you get no power when you turn on your phone? Nothing shows up on the screen at all. You have the worst brick possible that is recoverable. I wished this post came out before I did a warranty swap.

2. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Open odin3
4. Insert battery.
5. Connect usb cable.

Let ODin finish.

*** This program recovered my dead phone with no power, nothing shows up on my screen. - Dead and also a stuck boot up screen.

I saw another post that has the similar set of instructions 6. HOLD VOL+ and VOL- and then press the power button. Nothing happens.

I am curious how people this post has helped. Can you respond when you these directions gets your phone up. Thank you.

I have the same problem but I cannot get it to download mode. My phone is completely dead no power no sign of life. The only thing I notice is when i put the battery into the phone for about 15 minutes the phone is getting hot so I don't know if this is a common problem for bricked phone.

loraque

Jan 18, 2010
I have the same problem but I cannot get it to download mode. My phone is completely dead no power no sign of life. The only thing I notice is when i put the battery into the phone for about 15 minutes the phone is getting hot so I don't know if this is a common problem for bricked phone.

Try these steps to see if you can get the red text to show up. If you can, you are still recoverable using the steps.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9330685&highlight=red+text#post9330685

bokaboka

Dec 15, 2010

I had the exact same "phone - ! - PC" brick screen and vol up + vol down + power only took me to "unknown upload mode". I eventually figured out by myself that holding ONLY vol down + power for 10 sec is what takes you to download mode from that particular screen.

Summary: Anyone who's getting "Phone--!--PC" and the three-button combo takes you to "unknown upload mode", try holding vol down + power for 10 seconds.

intol69

Oct 14, 2018
dead phone

The guys just turned off my phone and didn’t turn on, didn’t enter into the backup, I can’t flash through ODIN because even after installing the drivers, the computer sees the phone as a ULC1 device and cannot install the drivers needed for the phone, who had such a problem decide? samsung j100fn

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. Wait 10 seconds.
    3. Open odin3
    4. Insert battery.
    5. Connect usb cable.

Let ODin finish.