[Q] A question about the GPU.

Search This thread

mull54

Dec 29, 2010
I know that the Note 3 got the Snapdragon 800 8974AA(GPU clocked at 450 MHz).

So i ran the latest GFXBench 3.0(Manhattan offscreen) and got a score of 11.1, which is even better than the scores the Snapdragon 800 8974AB(GPU clocked at 550/578MHz) got.

How can this be?

Hundsbuah

Nov 2, 2012
Landshut
I know that the Note 3 got the Snapdragon 800 8974AA(GPU clocked at 450 MHz).

So i ran the latest GFXBench 3.0(Manhattan offscreen) and got a score of 11.1, which is even better than the scores the Snapdragon 800 8974AB(GPU clocked at 550/578MHz) got.

How can this be?

maybe its caused by throttling down due temperature

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
Maybe memory of Note 3 is faster and larger than other phone, which shouldn't be Samsung because S5 uses AC version. I think Note3 has very fast RAM and if other phone has slower (read cheaper) RAM it could bottleneck there. Also, as the other poster said the other phone could be thermally throttling, especially if the benchmarks were run multiple times to get average. You figure people running benchmarks would know better, but who knows.

mull54

Dec 29, 2010
maybe its caused by throttling down due temperature

Yeah maybe that's the case.

Maybe memory of Note 3 is faster and larger than other phone, which shouldn't be Samsung because S5 uses AC version. I think Note3 has very fast RAM and if other phone has slower (read cheaper) RAM it could bottleneck there. Also, as the other poster said the other phone could be thermally throttling, especially if the benchmarks were run multiple times to get average. You figure people running benchmarks would know better, but who knows.

The thing is that, other Note 3 get's around 9-10 FPS, which is normal for a 8974AA SoC. So either some Note 3's got the AB(which is unlikley) or Samsung is cheating again and overclocking the GPU to AB levels only for the Bench.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah maybe that's the case.

The thing is that, other Note 3 get's around 9-10 FPS, which is normal for a 8974AA SoC. So either some Note 3's got the AB(which is unlikley) or Samsung is cheating again and overclocking the GPU to AB levels only for the Bench.

Samsung never overclocked anything, what they did in the past is ramp up frequency to maximum before benchmark started running, so there was no delay to get CPU/GPU to full speed, like you have with on demand governor. I don't believe it's cheating because you can set the governor to run full click yourself (if rooted) and benefit from this as well with any game/ benchmark. It also shows how inefficient ondemand governor is and maybe we should be using different governor setting which is interesting topic all by itself. I remember there was similar "scandal" few years ago in graphic card business, where drivers were optimized for particular benchmarks. Well, now all video drivers are optimized for specific, mostly graphic intensive games and we all benefit from it by having better performance, from lesser hardware. Maybe this could also benefit all of us by giving us better governors, so the phones can run faster with the same hardware, instead of being artificially slowed down with poor choice of governor settings. As far as other Notes running slower, thermal throttling due to multiple benchmark runs to get average would be my wild guess. Or maybe you deleted factory bloatware and change settings to make your phone faster, but no, you don't have AB version.