which rom version will suite the middle east

Search This thread

aabarakat

Oct 31, 2003
cairo
I have an sx56 originally working wiht AT&T. I flashed the rom with 4.05 and it works fine except for some system halts. Also the screen backlight sometimes goes off and never goes on again until I soft rest it.

I live in Egypt and use vodafone coverage. are there any updated roms to use. will the 4.11 4.16 or 4.21 work with me or not. formerly I was using ppc2002 and working fine, and now running 4.05 and still working but with minor problems, can I upgrade or what.

samerfam

Nov 17, 2003
Egypt/U.S.
you havn't specified,but it looks like you are using Tmobile's radio stack and rom. I have tried several and came up with the best rom for egypt which is the Qtek RS and rom. if you need anything else contact me on 0122200666

Biso007

Aug 10, 2003
Cairo, Egypt
Hi guys ... nice to see few egyptians here :)

I have a friend needs help. He got a SIM-locked T-mobile XDA with 32 MB RAM orginally loaded with ROM 3.14 and RSU 6.20 for T-mobile.

I managed to unlock his XDA and upgrade the ROM to 4.00.05 ENG. The problem is with the RSU ... I tried the O2 4.21 and Qtek 3.25 but still doesn't get Mobinil signal. I tried to change the band to 900/1800 and 900 only and still no signal (did not try Vodafone though).

Could there be any firm ware problem or I miss a minor actoin.

I would appreciate giving more details on your XDAs and the steps and ROM, RSU versions you used. My mobile is 012-3147866 or e-mail biso_0007@yahoo.com ... thanks in advance.

Bye

samerfam

Nov 17, 2003
Egypt/U.S.
aabarakat said:
I live in Egypt and use vodafone coverage. are there any updated roms to use. will the 4.11 4.16 or 4.21 work with me or not. formerly I was using ppc2002 and working fine, and now running 4.05 and still working but with minor problems, can I upgrade or what.

yes you can upgrade to 4.00.16 and your bug will disappear, however there will still be some annoying stuff as the WM2003 is still a pre-release..but the 4.00.16 doen't bug me like the 4.05.

[/b]bisooo....as for you, not sure if I have good news...but try it on vodafone and tell me what is going on....

Biso007

Aug 10, 2003
Cairo, Egypt
aabaraket:
I live in Egypt and use vodafone coverage. are there any updated roms to use. will the 4.11 4.16 or 4.21 work with me or not. formerly I was using ppc2002 and working fine, and now running 4.05 and still working but with minor problems

Does that mean u actually get vodafone signal ?? ... what RSU version are you using plz

Samer: Thanks for the reply anyway ... actually the XDA dosn't sense any network coverage (manual network selection). So I believe I 'm using the wrong RSU or its firmware is locked for T-mobile. You wrote in your signature that you still have RSU 6.18 ... does that work in Egypt ?!

samerfam

Nov 17, 2003
Egypt/U.S.
bisooo,
don't jump to conclusions...first of all let me assure you that most Tmobiles and SimensSX65 and QTeck and ALL XDAs work in Egypt. I have had a couple of them, bought a good number for a couple of friends....they are all working fine. ofcourse unlocked...

So lets start by some simply question first, before I go on with those questions one very important question though did you by any chance while in 'calender' bootloader mode i.e. GSM options ...did you press ANY THING OTHER THAN THE 900 or THE 900/1800 BUTTON??
this is very important....

now.. for the questions:
1. tell me how you unlocked the device...
2. where you bought it from...
3. is it an 'A' model or a 'B' model.

other questions will follow, just plug me in with the headlines firs!..
Dont worry..

Biso007

Aug 10, 2003
Cairo, Egypt
Samer,

1st thanks again for your thoughtfulness ... happy to tell you that I finally managed to let it work ... I installed T-mobile RSU 6.24 and it got the signal. I just handed it to my friend 10 minutes ago and he was sooo glade :)

one last question plz and this is for MY device. I heard lots of complains about ROM 4.00.16 and 4.00.21 ... did you find any value for them over the 4.00.11 one (new features, bugs fixed, ... etc)

thanks again :)

samerfam

Nov 17, 2003
Egypt/U.S.
bisooo,
not sure as I upgraded from 4.05 so I havn't had the chance,, my opinion is as long as it's a prerelease we might as well wait a while and get something more dependable than what is in our hands...but from reviews around i think that the 4.11 is ok...

just curious, how did you unlocke your friends device? any method other than the manipulator?

Also, have you tried to put together a local car kit for the set... I am thinking of making one locally and wanting some advice on the topic..

take care...

Biso007

Aug 10, 2003
Cairo, Egypt
Samer,

For unlocking, I upgraded the XDA first to ROM 3.17 from the kitchen ... when it starts, it asks u if you want to unlock then you say yes ... for my device as it had ROM 3.18 I copied the XDAunlock.exe to the device and ran from there.

For the car kit, I believe I saw a topic here talked about converting a cradle to a car kit ... it has all details with pics too!!. Search under the accessories forum.

Good luck ... :D

samerfam

Nov 17, 2003
Egypt/U.S.
hi biso007,

hope I am not disturbing you...but finding someone from Egypt who knows about the device is good...
anyway ..I remeber you upgraded your friend's radio stack to 6.24 ! and rom 4.00.21 . Is he encountering any problems with SMS...I am having the weiredest bug ever with my upgraded rom. I receive SMS but can't send them. when changing the sim card to vodafone isntead..everything works perfect. tried all the tricks of sending from different places and excluding the international code from the message service number....etc. nothing is working..

I would like also to know if you have faced any problems while working around with installing different Radio versions for your friend's device?? did you encounter any difficulty there??

thanks a million, :?

aabarakat

Oct 31, 2003
cairo
Hello there;

I am very sorry not to reply to you earlier, but I had to travel immediately after my post and could not find the time there to get to the forum and see the replies.

I am very happy to hear from you, and to share each other's experiences about this great device.

I am still running the 4.05, still have the problems but I can live with it. I was considering to upgrade to .16 or 21, but decided to wait till we have a real release not a prerelease versions.

I am running radio version A.20.10, I use vodafone, and I had absolutely no problems with sms. I do not have experience with mobinil in this subject.

By the way I downloaded a midi player and tried to use midi files as ring tones to save ram space, but the sound is very poor. Does anybody know how to improve the sound of midi tones on the xda.

waiting for your replies............

Biso007

Aug 10, 2003
Cairo, Egypt
By the way I downloaded a midi player and tried to use midi files as ring tones to save ram space, but the sound is very poor. Does anybody know how to improve the sound of midi tones on the xda

Up to my information, the XDA MIDI player is not capable to play MIDI files that use more than 4 insturments. So, either to get tones in this specs, or if you have the knowledge you can use any MIDI editor and disable some tracks.

Good luck and Welcome back :)

aabarakat

Oct 31, 2003
cairo
XDA MIDI player is not capable to play MIDI files that use more than 4 insturments. So, either to get tones in this specs, or if you have the knowledge you can use any MIDI editor and disable some tracks.

I wonder how a smart phone running symbian or other operating systems with a total memeory of 4 MB, can play polyphonic and midi tones perfectly and the xda cannot ??

I used a midi editor to reduce the number of tracks, and even used a single track midis and the result is still poor. anymore ideas !!!

hasanadel88

Sep 27, 2006
radio for qtek working with egypt

have u find radio version works fine with egypt ? please help
i am working on radio 3.23 but signal is weak and when iam in low coverage signal lost and its does come back until i turn off and on network again