FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[VOLVO SCT] Volvo Sensus Connected Touch (car - navi - audio)

353 posts
Thanks Meter: 85

By RichieB, Senior Member on 18th September 2013, 08:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th January 2014, 02:13 PM |#1071  
OP Senior Member

More
Like you said: rooting SCT has nothing to do with RTI, regular Sensus or any of the pop-ups those systems show. However, if you cannot grasp these basics, maybe rooting is not for you. It is possible to brick SCT if you do not know what you are doing.
18th January 2014, 08:40 AM |#1072  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapeauMelon

Hi all again...

I think I have read it in the many posts...but just want to be sure before I root my SCT :

- I have the seperate RTI and rearview-camera

Will those still work when rooting the SCT ? has rooting the SCT nothing to do with the RTI ?

Same for functions like climatecontrol / phone / etc.. which all do give info on the screen ? will they all still work as they should ?

Thanks in advance !

Rooting is simply giving you access to read and write to protected system folders. With SCT this means you can install applications like on other Android devices.
The biggest problem with rooting is that people don't know which files they are overwriting and this can cause "brick" - device which does not function and and does not allow you to reinstall software.

Rooting does not affect any Volvo software or hardware functions which are provided by Sensus/ICM or car. SCT is a simply Android device with video output to Volvo display and even if it is bricked - Volvo functions should remain.
19th January 2014, 10:39 AM |#1073  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Google Play Music over 3G
I'm still trying to figure out why Google Play Music does not stream over 3G/4G USB modem.

It works well with WiFi, it also works well with WiFi connection to the personal hotspot of my iPhone which uses the same operator, so it's not an operator issue.

While on the modem, Google Play Music app reports that there is no Internet connection. I have a feeling that SCT has got something wrong or non-standard in the implementation of PPP connectivity.

Has anyone experienced similar problems (works over WiFi, does not work over 3G) with other applications? Do any workarounds exist, except for using an external router? Perhaps older builds of Google Play Music work?

Thank you!
19th January 2014, 01:57 PM |#1074  
Flag Regio Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapeauMelon

Hi all again...

I think I have read it in the many posts...but just want to be sure before I root my SCT :

- I have the seperate RTI and rearview-camera

Will those still work when rooting the SCT ? has rooting the SCT nothing to do with the RTI ?

Same for functions like climatecontrol / phone / etc.. which all do give info on the screen ? will they all still work as they should ?

Thanks in advance !

Just for the record and as a add-on to the other replies. I have all those features. They all work as intended. RTI remains in the background though. You have to have the screen on top to get any directions. If you are in SCT you don't get any of the pop-up or directions in the statusbar like sensus does. So if you want the get constant direction from RTI you'll need to set that screen active... The only screen that pops up over SCT is the reach destination screen, which is a bit strange...

Rearview camera works perfect as it should, same for climate controls, seat heating and incoming calls. They pop-up nicely over SCT.
19th January 2014, 08:07 PM |#1075  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB

The automation of com.parrot.ActiveSources at bootup is not 100% reliable for me.

This was bothering me a lot. So I wrote an app to do this right. It basically is a rip from the com.parrot.ActiveSources.apk source code. All it does is initialize com.parrot.asteroid.media.MediaManager and search for the first USB source, launch it and play it. After this com.parrot.mediaplayer is started by sending the right intent. I am not sure if this is needed, but it might prove to be counter intuitive if no music player is shown when the music starts playing.

If someone finds it useful, I can make an SDcard and iPod version of this as well. Or I need to figure out how widgets work, and create one app with all these options as widgets.

I've added the source code as zip.

PS: @donaldta was right: the source selection is done in Java, only starting the musicplayer uses an intent.
Attached Files
File Type: apk USBMusic.apk - [Click for QR Code] (471.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: zip USBMusic.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.40 MB, 34 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RichieB Ad-Free
20th January 2014, 10:19 AM |#1076  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santu001

Just for the record and as a add-on to the other replies. I have all those features. They all work as intended. RTI remains in the background though. You have to have the screen on top to get any directions. If you are in SCT you don't get any of the pop-up or directions in the statusbar like sensus does. So if you want the get constant direction from RTI you'll need to set that screen active... The only screen that pops up over SCT is the reach destination screen, which is a bit strange...

Rearview camera works perfect as it should, same for climate controls, seat heating and incoming calls. They pop-up nicely over SCT.

OK, thanks for this useful info !

What would be the reason for this change in behavior of the RTI popup's ?

I suppose that the RTI directions are however still displayed on the drivers 'combined instrument panel' ?

Thanks !
20th January 2014, 11:14 AM |#1077  
Flag Regio Amsterdam

More
Quote:

This was bothering me a lot. So I wrote an app to do this right. It basically is a rip from the com.parrot.ActiveSources.apk source code. All it does is initialize com.parrot.asteroid.media.MediaManager and search for the first USB source, launch it and play it. After this com.parrot.mediaplayer is started by sending the right intent. I am not sure if this is needed, but it might prove to be counter intuitive if no music player is shown when the music starts playing.

If someone finds it useful, I can make an SDcard and iPod version of this as well. Or I need to figure out how widgets work, and create one app with all these options as widgets.

I've added the source code as zip.

PS: @donaldta was right: the source selection is done in Java, only starting the musicplayer uses an intent.

Thanks for this RichieB.

The next step in comfort and a lot better like this. Now we truly have a one button operation. All though in my case I had to pull usb 2 (with photos) in order to start the right port. But most likely solved by switching the flash drives. Haven't tried that yet. But again, thanks for your efforts...
20th January 2014, 11:38 AM |#1078  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

All though in my case I had to pull usb 2 (with photos) in order to start the right port. But most likely solved by switching the flash drives. Haven't tried that yet. But again, thanks for your efforts...

Yeah, this apk simply selects the first USB source. The right way to do this is select the device by name that you configure in a setup screen. But that is beyond my Android coding skills at the moment. Let me know if switching the devices does not work. I can create a different apk that starts the 2nd USB source (and if not found uses the first).
21st January 2014, 01:26 PM |#1079  
Flag Regio Amsterdam

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

Yeah, this apk simply selects the first USB source. The right way to do this is select the device by name that you configure in a setup screen. But that is beyond my Android coding skills at the moment. Let me know if switching the devices does not work. I can create a different apk that starts the 2nd USB source (and if not found uses the first).

Hi RichieB,

Switching the devices works flawless. Now I set it within starter ( yeah, I know, Tasker is better) and it was what was missing all along with the stock SCT. Music finally starts automatically after booting. A feature which is most welcome to all stock SCT users, but I guess they can't use it because of the fact they can't install anything. A good reason for everyone to root, even if you don't want the have any of the endless features, this APK of yours is probably what the are waiting for. Ok, I still have the stupid "per" and for some reason I don't get all the cover art anymore, but I don't really care. I still use my Player Pro as default player. But if I have to use other things while driving the stock player is still the way to go...

So very happy with this APK.
21st January 2014, 07:24 PM |#1080  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Ok, I still have the stupid "per"

I have already fixed that in the apk attached to this post. To install it, put the apk on the sdcard and type (from memory):
Code:
remount.sh system-rw
mv /system/apk/com.parrot.audioservice.apk /system/apk/com.parrot.audioservice.apk.bak
cp /mnt/sdcard/com.parrot.audioservice-fixed.apk /system/apk/com.parrot.audioservice.apk
Now use the #reboot# code on the keypad to reboot the SCT.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RichieB Ad-Free
21st January 2014, 08:11 PM |#1081  
Flag Regio Amsterdam

More
Quote:

I have already fixed that in the apk attached to this post. To install it, put the apk on the sdcard and type (from memory):

Code:
remount.sh system-rw
mv /system/apk/com.parrot.audioservice.apk /system/apk/com.parrot.audioservice.apk.bak
cp /mnt/sdcard/com.parrot.audioservice-fixed.apk /system/apk/com.parrot.audioservice.apk
Now use the #reboot# code on the keypad to reboot the SCT.

I knew this already. That is to say, I saw your post a while back. Not sure how much i'm bothered with it though.
Then again, why not? So thanks a lot...

Another thing. I heard you mentioning that you still have a working extension for Google. Do you happen to have the latest Flitsmeister.apk? (actually still using the one found here) Thought I read that somewhere. That's probably the only app I would want to extract, otherwise I wouldn't even ask and find it myself.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
car audio, sct, sensus connected touch, volvo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)