Install Windows XP on HTC Shift - your update please

Search This thread

axelTP2

Apr 5, 2010
Bucharest
Hi everybody, I'm new to this HTC Shift forum. I've bought a short while ago one HTC Shift s/h, it works all right, but I am very unsatisfied with Vista, even after the F3 recovery it is so slooooowwww!

Therefore I would like to speed it up by installing Windows XP (for which I have the necessary license).
I did my good reading on this forum, but almost all the threads are 1 or 2 years old, some of the links are already dead, so I did not come to a firm conclusion on whether Win XP works completely OK on the HTC Shift. I've been reading about problems reported in connection with certain drivers, touch screen, wireless, Shift Control Center, SD and SDHC cards, switching resolution, WMP, etc which I don't know if have been sorted out or not.

So it would be great if somebody could confirm me if installing Win XP leads firmly to a positive result. Pointing to some updated links for the appropriate downloads would be the other great thing that I would appreciate.

Looking forward to your soonest answers!
Thank you so much!

unapproachable2kx

Apr 4, 2004
I have installed Xp only on my Shift long time ago,everything is working faster and better.
Keep in mind you will not have Shift Control Center anymore but a directory with shortcuts to switch BT,WiFi,Reset Snapvue,Etc.
Also Gsensor is great with Screen Rotation.
Follow this link to install WinXp - contact me if you encounter some problems.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=517824

axelTP2

Apr 5, 2010
Bucharest
I have installed Xp only on my Shift long time ago,everything is working faster and better.
Keep in mind you will not have Shift Control Center anymore but a directory with shortcuts to switch BT,WiFi,Reset Snapvue,Etc.

Thanks unapproachable2kx for your encouragement, I sent you a PM.

axelTP2

Apr 5, 2010
Bucharest

As Wireless Connection Managers for wifi and BT I know 3 tools that are doing the job in XP for specific brand notebooks: HP Wireless Assistant, Dell QuickSet and Asus Console Utility. I wonder if any would work on the XP Shift. I will let you know once XP installed and running, probably next week or so. About managing the 3G modem, I guess this will stay on "manual". I have no idea about how to bring up the Snap View hard-reset button.
On the other hand there were some links on this forum, all broken now, for DL an XP adapted Shift Control Center. Did that piece of sofware really exist and work fine or was it just a bluff?

axelTP2

Apr 5, 2010
Bucharest
Hi again everybody!
Just one question before I stat the xp install: performing the HDD Format operation during xp install would distroy the Vista recovery partition or not?
A quick answer would be appreciated and would help me a lot!
Thank you!

unapproachable2kx

Apr 4, 2004
From what I remember Hdd format would not destroy Recovery partition as it is hidden and read only. You would need to unhide and make readable to change it.
Than about Shift Control Center for XP you will have the ability to:
Wifi Control
BT Control
SnapVue Reset
Snapvue EnterBootloader
Sound control
This is my improved version.
I was planning to make a Control Center GUI with C++ but always delayed who knows maybe one day I will find some free time will surely post.

axelTP2

Apr 5, 2010
Bucharest
From what I remember Hdd format would not destroy Recovery partition as it is hidden and read only. You would need to unhide and make readable to change it.
Than about Shift Control Center for XP you will have the ability to:
Wifi Control
BT Control
SnapVue Reset
Snapvue EnterBootloader
Sound control
This is my improved version.
I was planning to make a Control Center GUI with C++ but always delayed who knows maybe one day I will find some free time will surely post.

Thank you unapproachable2kx!

About the Shift Control Center for XP, when you wrote "This is my improved version" did you mean that you actually have it and you can load it somewhere for public use or that you just listed the features of what you planned to be?

Anyway, if you still have the "traditional version" of the Shift Control Center for XP mentioned several times on this forum, I would much appreciate if you could attach it to your next post or sent it to me via PM.
Thank you and have a nice week-end!

waragi

May 31, 2008
help ShagCtrl.exe

same Dilemma where does one download?

Shift Control Center : ShagCtrl.exe

Can it be recovered from the original vista install?

waragi

May 31, 2008
shagctrl.exe

Found something on htc site

Shagctrl_1[1].2.6.122-control center

HTC control center

dl4.htc.com/Driver//HTC%20Shift/shagctrl_1[/url][1].2.6.122-control%20center.zip

general-search.net/fileinfo/gs3918b18h82i0

axelTP2

Apr 5, 2010
Bucharest
Found something on htc site

Shagctrl_1[1].2.6.122-control center

HTC control center

dl4.htc.com/Driver//HTC%20Shift/shagctrl_1[/url][1].2.6.122-control%20center.zip

general-search.net/fileinfo/gs3918b18h82i0

Thanks waragi, I imagine those are the original HTC files for Vista, which are not working with XP.

Last edited:

hoeino

Sep 11, 2009
impossible to install the wifi or to have the wifi

hi friend
i have a problem to install the wifi
i dont understand the step 14 on installing xp
many times i made the installation
all is good but wifi is the problem i ve made many installation of this but it won t work maybe in dont translate good this step
im french

14.- run cygwin\setup.exe, and select install from folder. select ioperm from the devel subfolder.
Unselect icons on desktop and start menu and finish.
Run cygwin.bat from c:\cygwin

type “ioperm –i” + enter and “exit” + enter

move hsect-2.1\hsect2.exe and move it to c:\cygwin\bin

can explain me step by step this step

thanks a lot