FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel][OC]Da_G's 1944MHz SGH-i957 LTE OC(Dec 20, 2011)

1,629 posts
Thanks Meter: 270

By Croak, Senior Member on 20th December 2011, 08:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th January 2012, 02:44 AM |#91  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Well fellas, I have a priliminary/test custom CWM recovery image for our device, that should be flashable by ODIN.

I have not flashed it yet, planning on doing it tomarow morning.

In the event that something goes awry, I don't want to be stressing all night long about it

I will keep you all posted!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modestone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift modestone Ad-Free

18th January 2012, 09:12 PM |#92  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Nice work. If it gets botched as long as you can get into download mode just flash back stock via Odin. Cwm could break the hard key recovery I think it but you could use adb commands in that case (I think).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
18th January 2012, 09:26 PM |#93  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Cool modestone. Good luck I hope it all goes well.
18th January 2012, 09:30 PM |#94  

More
Well round one didn't work out, ODIN hung at the point it actually tried to write the recovery.img from the .tar over.

Eventually I powered down the tablet, which it immediately booted back up into "Firmware Update Failed, please connect KIES in recovery mode".

I decided for the hell of it to try re-flashing the OC kernel to it at this point, even though what I attempted to flashed had nothing to do with the the kernel.

It successfully flashed over, and my tab booted up normally.

I think what happened there is the tab saw a failed flash, so it decided to force download recovery mode till something was flashed, even though the failed file likely didn't write anything at all to the filesystem.

Then when it saw a successful flash, it decided, "Ok we can boot up normally now"

All just guesses, but anyhow there's your update!

We are working on some other plans of attack now.
19th January 2012, 03:15 AM |#95  

More
Progress is being made, I think were getting close, the sgh-i957 is kind of un standard when it comes to how its boot and recovery partitions are setup and utilized, so most of the trouble has been in figuring that bit out.
19th January 2012, 01:11 PM |#96  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can't wait for a custom rom!
19th January 2012, 05:20 PM |#97  

More
Progress is slower since a dev doesn't own it but at least we are getting somewhere. The closer we are to finding the differences from the skyrocket the easier ports may be for ics.

19th January 2012, 05:44 PM |#98  

More
Well I seem to have pretty thoughly bricked my poor tab.

Without going into to much detail, I should be more careful with .pit files and ODIN heh...

The tab itself appears totally dead, no boot, no back light, no matter how long you hold the power button / vol button combos.

When you plug it into a computer, it shows up as QHSUSB_DLOAD, and cannot find a driver.

ODIN and HEMIDALL don't see it at all.

I managed to find a QHSUSB_DLOAD driver of some sort, and using QPST was able to see that it was a com port, but I can't do anything past that.

Any of the tools in QPST say they cannot be used because the device is in download mode.

Anyways, pretty sure its gonna have to go to samsung to be fixed.

Which blows, because were pretty sure our next test will be successful, but of course who knows
19th January 2012, 06:30 PM |#99  

More
I'll do some research when I get home to see if I can help you out

19th January 2012, 07:24 PM |#100  

More
I was litterally 1 day inside of my 30 day return window at AT&T, so I decided to run down to the local store where I bought it, and was able to exchange it for a working one.

"I was just watching some netflix and it went totally black all the sudden! Now it won't do anything at all!"

A few mins later and I am back in action.

However I don't really want to be bringing another one back to them any time soon
The Following User Says Thank You to modestone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift modestone Ad-Free
20th January 2012, 03:42 AM |#101  

More
Anyone feeling brave and want to flash a new test kernel with cwm cooked in?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)